NWPBanner
Welcome! NWPphotoforum.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden #4382
07/17/06 12:25 PM
07/17/06 12:25 PM
Joined: May 2006
San Jose, CA
R
robv Offline OP
Wanderer
robv  Offline OP
Wanderer
R

Joined: May 2006
San Jose, CA
Yesterday I had a chance to shoot Keiko, a 4 year old golden retriever that was rescued from a puppy mill back in October. Her story is amazing and horrible at the same time. The puppy mill owner used to spray the dogs with pesticide to keep the fleas down. This made just about all of Keikos hair fall out and the skin to become covered in sores.

Keiko is now a very calm, gentle dog that doesn't like to get more than a couple feet away from her owner.






Rob Vreeland
w w w . M u r p h y D o g S t u d i o s . c o m

Re: Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden [Re: robv] #4383
07/17/06 12:50 PM
07/17/06 12:50 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
J
JeffDinPA Offline
Old hand
JeffDinPA  Offline
Old hand
J

Joined: Mar 2006
Rob, it sickens me what goes on with these poor animals. And the average Joe hasn’t a clue the half of it. Glad to see she found a good home. Nice shots, I like the second best. One question, are those powerlines distorted be a fisheye? For the first time I have see powerlines in a photo and they are not detracting.


Thanks, Jeff
Re: Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden [Re: JeffDinPA] #4384
07/17/06 10:15 PM
07/17/06 10:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Feb 2005
Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Rob,

Love the shots...and the story. I think that some would definitely quibble over cutting off the dog's ear in the first photograph. It does not bother me at all.

The second shot with the power lines...really cool. I also second Jeff's question about the distortion. A fish eye?

James

Re: Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden [Re: James Morrissey] #4385
07/18/06 10:13 AM
07/18/06 10:13 AM
Joined: May 2006
San Jose, CA
R
robv Offline OP
Wanderer
robv  Offline OP
Wanderer
R

Joined: May 2006
San Jose, CA
Jeff - yes, those are powerlines. The dog park I was in was built under a ton of power lines. It was difficult to shoot without having them in every shot.

I'm actually not that big of a fan of shot #2. It just doesn't really show you Keiko's personality. On the other hand, shot #1 is the money shot and even made the owner cry.

James - I can't believe you even brought up the idea that someone might have a problem with the dog's ear missing in #1. The composition is what makes that shot.

Fisheye was the Nikon 10.5mm.

Re: Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden [Re: robv] #4386
07/18/06 10:29 AM
07/18/06 10:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Joined: Dec 2005
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
I can see why the owner was affected - it is a truly beautiful head study. Quite a few of us have rescue dogs and can really relate to the emotion when the shot is "your own dog" and catches the personality like this.

Re: Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden [Re: PossumCorner] #4387
07/19/06 07:59 AM
07/19/06 07:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2005
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Joined: Feb 2005
Manhattan, New York, New York
"James - I can't believe you even brought up the idea that someone might have a problem with the dog's ear missing in #1. The composition is what makes that shot."

LOL. I agree. I love tight cropped shots. I was just saying that there are many who prefer to see the whole dog in the shot. It is a different perspective, certainly. To me, it is all about the eyes. Everything else is secondary.

James

Re: Keiko - Puppy mill rescued Golden [Re: James Morrissey] #4388
08/07/06 11:14 AM
08/07/06 11:14 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
North Carolina, USA
Scott Offline
Tracker
Scott  Offline
Tracker

Joined: Jul 2006
North Carolina, USA
Beautiful retriever and very nice images. Well done.
For the animals...

Cheers,


Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 390 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Susitna Sled Dog, David Vitor, CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog
3319 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics641
Posts1,031
Members3,319
Most Online7,966
May 21st, 2026

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1
(Release build 20190129)
PHP: 5.6.40-1+hw4 Page Time: 0.036s Queries: 14 (0.014s) Memory: 0.9235 MB (Peak: 1.9722 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2026-10-04 19:13:32 UTC