The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Help - Epson Calibration Issues

Posted By: James Morrissey

Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 12/22/08 03:37 PM

Hey Folks,

I am in the process of getting my system completely up and running. My Epson 2200 though is not printing out results in the way I would expect...and I am trying to figure out where I am screwing up. The colors are coming out very desaturated as compared to the screen, which I believe to be about accurate.

Essentially, I am using the Epson 2200 profile that came with the printer (updated), Epson Enhanced Matte paper...and no ICM color controls with my recently calibrated Dell 2208 (Thanks Roman...beautiful monitor).

Thoughts?

James
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 12/31/08 01:22 AM

Quote:

Hey Folks,

The colors are coming out very desaturated as compared to the screen, which I believe to be about accurate.

Thoughts?

James

Believe to be accurate?
I assume it is calibrated also. You seem to be doing the printer thing correct, but have you tried using the paper profile as opposed to the printer? That always gives me the best results on my 1900.
Have you changed anything from your past practices, paper, ink etc?
Happy New Year!

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 12/31/08 02:50 AM

Yeah...the monitor is calibrated with the Monitor Spyder 3. Here are some screen shots of what looks 'best' though it is still wrong...wrong...wrong...

Posted By: blueridge

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/01/09 03:18 PM

I am new to this Fourm but looking at your screen shot I think you could turn off color mangament in the first page and let Photoshop do the colors and try a profile for your paper and you may want to turn off high speed.

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/01/09 04:15 PM

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback. Pardon me if I am having a total idiot attack, but as far as I can see, color management is not on (i.e. ICM, No Color Management).

James

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/05/09 06:24 PM

I got some prints back the other day from Adorama. They look absolutely perfect. It confirms my suspicion that this is somehow a driver problem. Hmmmmm. I have no idea what is going wrong. I have done this a billion times before, my settings look right to me...yet I am doing something very very wrong.

Thoughts?

James
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/05/09 06:43 PM

Sounds like a bad print head. When my HP's stop reproducing good color, it is always a bad print head.
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/06/09 01:03 AM

I don't use an Epson here, but when my Canon does that, it is a plugged print head or bad cartridge maybe. Can you do a nozzle test to see if they are all working right? DAve
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/07/09 05:38 PM

Quote:

Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback. Pardon me if I am having a total idiot attack, but as far as I can see, color management is not on (i.e. ICM, No Color Management).

James

Good Morning James,

I have not printed with PS for quite awhile. But when I use Qimage to print I actually have to make sure ICM is not selected or I get skewed colors. Have you run a test with ICM off?

Jim

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/08/09 10:16 PM

Thanks, Jim. The ICM is not running (see the 2nd screen shot). I tried cleaning the printer several times. If I need a new print head, then I am up the creek because it essentially means I need a new printer. It will be money I don't really want to spend right now, given the I just purchased the 5dii. It may be cheaper just to sub out the printing in the short term - particularly given how many sheets of paper I have wasted trying to get the output right.

James
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/09/09 03:52 AM

Have you called epson customer support? They should be able to help, I bet. I have near but not the exact system, with really good results. On the times I called Epson, they were right on it.
Good luck.

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/09/09 01:25 PM

LOL, you know, Marty, you would think that I did. I have not. I find calling these numbers frustrating. Having said that, I am going to try. I am also going to look at finding printer profiles outside of the ones Epson sends (which I am using above). Thoughts on what to use?

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 01/10/09 01:20 AM

Here you go Moose's setting are what I have always used with this printer.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/docs/2200dialog.pdf

If that dosnt do it, your profiles need to be created for your paper as I have yet to find a stock profile that performs well....after I profiled my paper, everything fell right into place.

Sent you a link to a profile service that is reasonable and very reliable.

Roman
Posted By: salden

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 03/01/09 11:16 AM

James, this might be a bit late for a response, but maybe not.

That has happened to me several times with both my Epson 2200 and 4880 printers. It is hard to figure out since I normally use profiles for my paper.

First I look to see if I have converted my image to the same profile as my paper profile.

If that does not work, I print out on RGB profile and that usually corrects the problem.

Also, turn off "high speed printing". You should have your image set to your profile, not to sRGB. If you need to default, use RGB for printing. sRGB is only good for web viewing and not the best for prints.
Posted By: gll

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 03/06/09 01:09 AM

I think Sue is right on the money, Don't have a 2200 anymore but I am almost certain you have to select "let photoshop manage colors"
Posted By: Randall

Re: Help - Epson Calibration Issues - 03/06/09 03:32 PM

Hi James I agree with Sue and gll I have literly wore out and epson 2200 and I could never get the printer do the color printing I always got better results with photoshop calling the shots!!!!
Randall
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum