The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Plexi on Black test

Posted By: Jim Poor

Plexi on Black test - 12/16/10 04:54 PM

Based on PJ's recommendation, and the fact that I can't get a roll of black Vinyl from B&H without crazy shipping charges, I ordered two pieces of the black material she used in her "On Black" thread.

First impressions, what a PITA!

I got it out of the box and the same backing that keeps it from wrinkling keeps the packing and shipping wrinkles in it pretty bad.

No rod-pocket to hang it on a support. Not a huge issue as I'm putting up a 6-roll ceiling mounted roller system that has cores available for backdrops just like this.

In a house with four dogs, it was COVERED in fur before I even got to the testing!

All that said, I think I'm going to really like it.

I've also discovered that I like the look of Plexi on WHITE better than I like tile board. Plexi is definitely more versatile than tile board in terms of color. but it's also quite a bit more expensive.

Re: Plexi on Black test - 12/16/10 05:21 PM

A living, not overly cooperative this morning model:

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Plexi on Black test - 12/17/10 05:06 AM

Hey Jim,

I think these came out great - particularly the not so willing subject. :P

James

Re: Plexi on Black test - 12/17/10 03:28 PM

Thanks James. I had to throw that duck quite a few times to get her on the plexi completely for one shot.

I really need to add a second, and / or larger piece.

Re: Plexi on Black test - 12/17/10 10:10 PM

Hey Jim,

Are you planning on shlepping the plexi to all of your appointments? Also, what size are you thinking about getting? I have a 24x36 that I use with the cats that is way too small for dogs.....

James

Re: Plexi on Black test - 12/17/10 10:37 PM

I'm doing my best to encourage portrait appointments to come to me, but I may schlep a piece or two along with me as needed.

The piece I have is 36" x 72". For the studio, I'd like two pieces 4'x 8' and for on-location, I'd like an additional 36" x 72" for now.

I'm also considering a roll of film like (I think) Lexan?? or really thick cellophane as alternatives.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Plexi on Black test - 01/01/11 03:30 AM

I really love this look!

New Article - Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP *DELETED* - 01/01/11 05:39 AM

Post deleted by James Morrissey
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum