D
Duane Offline OP
Journeyman
Duane  Offline OP
Journeyman
D

Canada
This is simply fantastic gang!

Thnaks for the advice Roman - I suspect I'll end up with either a D50 or D70s (depending on discounts, etc.) at purchase time.

Richard - that shot is simply incredible. That was either one friendly little fawn, or a nice zoom... regardless - outstanding shot.

My blog book is at my Online Marketing blog.
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Duane] #1562
01/10/06 10:39 PM
01/10/06 10:39 PM
Tennessee, USA
RichardR Offline
Journeyman
RichardR  Offline
Journeyman

Tennessee, USA
Thank you, Duane! That fawn was only a few minutes old when I spotted its mama licking it down. Mama ran away, as they usually do to try to draw danger away from their fawn, but the fawn hadn't learned the 'rules' yet about being still and keeping their mouth shut!!! It began wobbling toward, me, stumbling, barely able to walk, bleating its cry. They will imprint on almost any animal at birth since they don't know they're deer yet!! It got to within about 10 feet when we made noises to shoo it away as we certainly didn't want it touching us. At the moment it stopped was when I took this one. It was a memorable experience as I'd only seen two other fresh newborns in the wild before.

As for the equipment and advice, Roman knows his stuff. I first became acquainted with him on the DPReview Nikon D70 forum and have learned a lot from his posts.

Good luck with your choices.

Best regards,

Dick:)

Every day is a good day.
Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: RichardR] #1563
01/12/06 01:25 AM
01/12/06 01:25 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
What I like about the list of folks who have participated in this thread is just how varied everyone's equipment is. It has been a goal of mine to make a 'brandless' website. So far, it looks like we are actually achieving that (even if there is a slight lean towards Nikon folks).

The truth is that they all take great photos. Ergonomics and lens selection is, as Roman pointed out, key.

-JM

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: James Morrissey] #1564
01/12/06 09:33 AM
01/12/06 09:33 AM
Canada
D
Duane Offline OP
Journeyman
Duane  Offline OP
Journeyman
D

Canada
I'm actually being drawn more to the Olympus E-500 more and more.

They have a decent deal on the two-lens kit, and I like the dust-shaker thingie they incorporate.

Few seem to be using this model yet, though it's a mixed bag on feedback - some say way too soft on the images, others say it's fine with the right lens and when you turn up the in-camera sharpeneing or do Post-Processing work. The images I've seen to date aren't helping me decide...though I must admit, Nikon's gear (D50 & D70s) are, on paper, much better at high-ISO noise reduction/elimination. Not a huge deal, but potentially useful in available-light shots.

...oh, woe is me...what to do?

I know! Wait until after PMA and see what shakes outta that show...

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Duane] #1565
01/12/06 04:12 PM
01/12/06 04:12 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Why wait until PMA? Here is what I think you should do, starting first with, listing your needs (what are you going to shoot most often, size weight, etc.), prioritize them, set a budget, generate a list of camera's, purchase the camera, start shooting.

In general, and unless you know something that most don’t about new information in the camera industry, you need to make a decision and get shooting. Obviously, it's never too late to get a new body or new camera, technology is changing and improving all the time, but the only way to improve your skills and make great images is to shoot. If you are not shooting, you are not creating great images. If you’re not creating great images, it matters little about what's going to happen at PMA.

That said, PMA does allow you to handle many different units, if that's important to you, but you won’t learn much until you really use one for a while.

I'd get a good well-respected unit that has the functions you need and buy it now.

I shoot all nikon and I do keep up with the new equipment. I like nikon and chose nikon because of its insistence on build quality and reliability. Nikons are tough and reliable. To date, I never have had a critical field failure (knock on wood) of a nikon product in more than 15 years. Morover, they have good product support and their gear is available all over the modern world.

Just my thoughts.

Finalshot

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Tony Bynum] #1566
01/12/06 04:41 PM
01/12/06 04:41 PM
Canada
D
Duane Offline OP
Journeyman
Duane  Offline OP
Journeyman
D

Canada
Thanks Tony - I agree with pretty much everything you're saying.

I do still get out shooting now, just with my current P&S camera...so composition gets work, but, as mentioned, any new camera will need the "learning curve" dealt with.

I won't be at the event (so handling cameras is out), but I was thinking more along the lines of maybe manufacturers would roll out new ways of dealing with dust, new chip in a current model, that kind of thing.

really what it's going to come down to is my confidence in a product I've never owned before - that pretty much means canon and Nikon are the short list - I've had canon gear previously, and it was tops - I'm sure Nikon is/was/will be the same.

I know folks who've shot other brands, but not digital - so no help there...

KNowing that even a 6.1 mp cmaera can produce a clean 11x14 print (all things being equal of course), makes me feel pretty confident that regardless of what I choose, it'll be fine - at this point it's money and features. Knowing where I intend to shoot mostly (indoors, available light, outdoors, etc.) could help me with what tech specs are important (high ISO with low noise, for example), which in turn leads me to only a few choices.

My goal is a body and a good lens, maybe two, for about $1500 Canadian. So far, for that price, I've worked up a coule of likely scenerios surrounding Nikon gear...then I start thinking about that nifty feature Olympus has for dealing with dust and BANG - Im off track again...LOL

What i really NEED to do is just buy the damn camera - then deal with it - I suspect my short-list is a solid bunch anyway:

D50
D70s
E500
Rebel XT

...I think I like the torture of the researching things to death part - I must...

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Duane] #1567
01/13/06 10:28 AM
01/13/06 10:28 AM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Montana
"...I think I like the torture of the researching things to death part - I must... "

I'm the same way, that's why I recomended that you decide now. I'd also think about the sensor shake option you mentiond in the e500. i have not heard anything good or bad about that technology so I cant coment. However, I've not had any problem just blowing my sensor off with a turbo blower so the shake technology is just another thing that may go wrong.

Sounds like youre still shooting so take your time and buy what you want. But, keep in mind that as soon as you buy somthing it will be the wrong thing because someone will announce a product that you REALLY wanted in the first place - LOL -- :-)

Good luck!

Re: We've seen GREAT shots, but what gear do you u [Re: Tony Bynum] #1568
01/13/06 11:01 AM
01/13/06 11:01 AM
Canada
D
Duane Offline OP
Journeyman
Duane  Offline OP
Journeyman
D

Canada
Quote:

Sounds like youre still shooting so take your time and buy what you want. But, keep in mind that as soon as you buy somthing it will be the wrong thing because someone will announce a product that you REALLY wanted in the first place - LOL -- :-)

Ah yes, the story of life...LOL

My wife is always telling me to be happy with what I have...she's right, of course...mostly because the Jones move so fast, I could never hope to keep up...LOL

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 278 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer