James,
alligators are everywhere in Florida (and Georgia) where there is a pool of water. So, yes, we see alligators all the time on our walks along Shingle Creek since it drains into wetlands and that's where the gators hang out.

We also see river Otters but they are elusive little devils and hard to find when I'm walking a dog. Still, I've spotted several on my walks with Rowdy. Just never got close enough to get any decent shots.

Before major construction took over all the open areas in Hunters Creek where I live, I used to walk the dogs near lakes and see the baby gators swimming with their moms. The Goldens we had at that time weren't all that curious -- which was good. Gators can get to any body of water through the underground aquifer so it's not unusual to find them in the retention ponds on most golf courses. A few years ago, we actually had a crocodile off or the 18th hole here that had escaped from Gatorland Zoo which is located within a mile of the course. Crocs are nasty and aggressive so that one got put back into the zoo.

Never got to the Everglades but it's on my agenda. Think I'll do that one without the dogs .

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz