Hey Dan,

I am a Teton's guy mostly, and I generally stay out of Jackson. There are tons of great places to view the Tetons. All of these are ideal sunrise/sunset shots.

(1) Mormon Row is off by Antelope Flats (really a sunrise shot)
(2) Schwabacher's Landing is also a classic spot (Sunrise..though it may be interesting to do sunset as well)
(3) For Mt. Moran, the spot is Oxbow Bend (Either..my best sunset ever is there)
(4) Black Tail Ponds (either), I believe, is where the famous Ansel shot with the back light is from (it is there or the next overlook over) - please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.
(5) Moran Junction (either)

Yellowstone, to me, is all about wildlife and the Geyser basin. It could be though that I have just not had the opportunity to really find the great places to photograph early in YSNP. I WOULD like to try the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone at sunrise. The angle looks close enough that you might get some solid light.

Staying out of the West Gate is great - though I have never stayed there as early as you are going. We stayed at a phenominal place called the Hibernation Station. I would NEVER have thought to go there had I not had problems with the Yellowstone Inn. However, the rooms were HUGE and the prices were cheaper than the park (though not by much....you can get some real low rates in W. Yellowstone).

James