01/28/09 12:20 PM
01/28/09 12:20 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
I'm not a huge fan of big spending, but if were are gona spend it, and we're gona spend it, it might as well be on something worth putting money into. the NPS has been the most underfunded of all of interior, outside of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, so please, if you can, support the increases for our NPS.

We have some great news. Leaders in the U.S. House of Representatives have proposed a big boost for national parks in the economic recovery package. How big? $2.25 billion in job-creating, ready-to-go projects for the national parks! This is great news for our economy and our national parks.

This proposal is a bold, significant step toward revitalizing our national parks for our children and grandchildren and creates jobs today in rural and urban communities across the country. This boost in our national parks is an investment in our quality of life, our heritage, and our future.

Can you write a letter to your congressional representative in support of the $2.25 billion national park investment?

If this funding is included in the final economic recovery bill passed by Congress, it would bring immediate economic benefits and lay a strong foundation for restoring our imperiled national park heritage by 2016, the centennial of the National Park Service. It's not often we are presented with such an opportunity, so let's be sure to let our representatives know how much we need their commitment to our national parks. Send your letter today!

Thanks for all you do,

Craig Obey

Craig Obey, Senior Vice President, Government Affairs
NPCA

P.S. This proposal presents a tremendous opportunity for our national parks. Over the next few weeks, NPCA and our allies will be working hard to make sure this proposal remains a part of the final economic recovery package. But we can't do this work without you. Reinforcing the importance of national parks with your representatives will let them know how much you care- and thank them for their hard work as well. Don't wait, a vote could happen TODAY. Write your representatives today!

Re: YOU CAN HELP! [Re: Tony Bynum] #20133
01/28/09 05:29 PM
01/28/09 05:29 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey Tony,

Glad you posted this. I 100% agree. I apologize for adding politics here (which I generally shy away from)...but bear with me a second. :P I do not favor calling the plan being talked about as an 'economic stimulus,' however; I do believe that there are many projects within it that should get funding. As it appears that this will pass, we should all be working to get the money to go to places that are important to us.

This congress has already started off with a huge commitment to the parks (see the NP news for details). Given that these parks seem to generate a lot of money for individual states, it makes sense that supporting the parks really is a value added and useful expenditure of federal dollars. I would love to see even more money going to preserve, protect and properly develop the parks.

For folks who may be interested, you can find your congress person here:

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

James

Re: YOU CAN HELP! [Re: James Morrissey] #20134
01/28/09 06:42 PM
01/28/09 06:42 PM
Montana
Tony Bynum Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Tony Bynum  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Montana
Thanks James!

Count me in! [Re: Tony Bynum] #20135
01/28/09 11:08 PM
01/28/09 11:08 PM
Eden (no really!)
J
jamesdak Offline
Old hand
jamesdak  Offline
Old hand
J

Eden (no really!)
You know I've traveled a lot in the country during my military career I could always count on the local National Parks providing me with wonderful photography opportunities. Even during my photographic lowpoint while stationed in northern Virginia I could still get to the Prince William Forest National Park and find a little oasis of forest, streams and wildlife to make me forget how much I hated the urban environment that dominates that area. I'll get writing tonight as I feel our NP's have been being neglected for quite a long time.

Mine is done [Re: Tony Bynum] #20136
01/28/09 11:46 PM
01/28/09 11:46 PM
Chama, New Mexico
W
Wacky roger Offline
Addict
Wacky roger  Offline
Addict
W

Chama, New Mexico
Thanks for the up-date. My letter is done & gone.

Wacky roger
Questions & Comments Welcome
Re: Mine is done [Re: Wacky roger] #20137
01/29/09 06:12 PM
01/29/09 06:12 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

This is from the Parks News today...

KALISPELL - America's parks are being shortchanged in national economic stimulus talks, critics say, and they're urging a hesitant Senate to join House lawmakers in backing a larger parks investment.
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/01/29/news/mtregional/news09.txt

News on Stimulus and Parks [Re: James Morrissey] #20138
01/29/09 06:17 PM
01/29/09 06:17 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Also from today's park news..

EXCLUSIVE: Stimulus has plum for lawmaker's son
A top House Republican is demanding an investigation into whether the more than $2 billion for national parks in the House stimulus package is proper in light of the fact that the chief lobbyist for the National Parks Conservation Association is the son of House Appropriations Committee Chairman David R. Obey.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/29/stimulus-includes-plum-lawmakers-son/

Re: News on Stimulus and Parks [Re: James Morrissey] #20139
01/30/09 07:44 PM
01/30/09 07:44 PM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

This may also be of interest to folks, particularly the petition below. I am going to publish it as part of our newsletter tomorrow.

James

Stimulus offers perks
Matheson pushes for park funding
The asphalt in the popular North Campground at Bryce Canyon National Park has potholes, and in Zion National Park, moisture is taking its toll on one of the most popular hikes in the park.
http://www.thespectrum.com/article/20090129/NEWS01/901290312

Help Our Economy by Helping National Parks
Target: U.S. Congress
Sponsored by: National Parks Conservation Association
Right now, the National Park Service has more than $1 billion worth of ready-to-go projects in national parks across the country, including Acadia, Death Valley, Glacier and the Great Smoky Mountains. Investing in our national parks will help our economy, and create more than 57,000 jobs.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/786614887?z00m=19087045

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 336 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer