Living on the island of Raiatea presents one with a sense of history and a deep respect for the Polynesian culture. Raiatea is known as the Sacred Island. It was in the voyaging times the center of the Polynesian world. It's Vatican, the center of the religion and also its Center of Government for the Arii (or Alii in Hawaiian). We're not talking small, The Polynesian Triangle stretched from New Zealand to the West, the Hawaiian Islands to the North, Us here in the center (we consist of 5 Archipelagos) Stretching from the Equator (The Marquesas) south through the Gambiers and Rapa, then east to Rapa Nui or Easter Island. The Arii's were the kings and Queens and although they were the heads of governments, they received their powers through the religious codes provided by the Tau'a or the priests of the religion. The most sacred and revered spot is an area of about 3 acres in size just outside the commune of Opoa. It is called TapuTapuatea. Every Polynesian alive knows of it and its significance in their history and culture.

Here are 2 Panoramas that I put together over the weekend of my Saturday on the Marae's of Taputapuatea. I am including 2 of the Maraes the light was terrible but I did what I could, and when my car arrives and I can move about at my own time I will be able to present you with much better photos than these...

The Voyagers (Navigators) Marae

The Ceremonial Marae
[image]http://mah.smugmug.com/Other/An-Ocean-Apart/Ceremonial-Marae-Taputapuatea/693662757_3Twth-O.jp[/image]