04/11/08 07:37 PM
04/11/08 07:37 PM
Ontario Canada
JimmyD Offline OP
Tracker
JimmyD  Offline OP
Tracker

Ontario Canada
Still trying to find time to put together a series of American southwest images, I think I will break it down into area's.

In the meantime here is a shot from Bryce Canyon. We drove in just before sunset on our way to another area and stopped to grab this shot. The sun was dropping fast and the sky was clouding over but I managed to get off a couple of shots before it was over.

Wish I had more time there

I used a 2 stop GND singray filter to balance the sky and forground

Jim Davis Spiorad an Dúlra http://jimmy-d.smugmug.com
Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: JimmyD] #14551
04/12/08 08:45 AM
04/12/08 08:45 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Jim,
very nice capture. On my monitor, the foreground could could come up just a bit more. But the NDFs gave you a nice balance overall.

If it were my image, I'd try to give it just a bit more "pop" in terms of contrast and saturation. But if that's the way you saw it, then it's perfect.

Tell us more about your SW series.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: Jim Garvie] #14552
04/12/08 08:58 AM
04/12/08 08:58 AM
Ontario Canada
JimmyD Offline OP
Tracker
JimmyD  Offline OP
Tracker

Ontario Canada
Thanks Jim

With this scene the foreground was in shadow so it does lack some contrast. I did go back and look at the Raw file and it does have much more pop than the image posted, it seems to have lost something from raw to jpg conversion. It was captured in Adobe RGB at 14 bit raw and converted to sRGB for web when downsized.

I do have my monitor calibrated using the GretagMacbeth Eye-One.I will have to look into this and see whats up and repost the image

Thanks

Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: JimmyD] #14553
04/12/08 09:17 AM
04/12/08 09:17 AM
Ontario Canada
JimmyD Offline OP
Tracker
JimmyD  Offline OP
Tracker

Ontario Canada
Here is a quick conversion directly from Capture NX from raw to jpg with no further PP, the other image was put in Abobe photosop to frame it so maybe something was lost there.

This image is better but when comparing the raw image in NX to the jpg it still loses a little pop.

I will have to experiment some more.

Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: JimmyD] #14554
04/12/08 10:11 AM
04/12/08 10:11 AM
NY USA
Jim Rickards Offline
Journeyman
Jim Rickards  Offline
Journeyman

NY USA
That's a nice improvement, Jim. In the original, the snow popped out as a major attraction to the eye. Here, it's a more natural part of the frame. Of course the brightness of the bottom part is the main improvement. Good job.
Still, this frame does give me a small sense of "dual subject" - nice sky and nice arch and each one competing with the other. Cropping the top of the sky (a shame, since it's so nice) puts the focus back on the arch and has the sky as a secondary feature. I don't see an easy way to crop the opposite way, making the sky the focal point. It's been a long time since I've been to Bryce, and your picture is making me want to return.

Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: Jim Rickards] #14555
04/12/08 10:21 AM
04/12/08 10:21 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
I agree with Jim (have you noticed there are far too many jims on this forum ) that your new image is a major improvement in terms of color and contrast. Nice job.

As for composition, I don't personally like to question somebody else's vision. If that's they way you saw it, then I like to see whether or not it works for me. I understand that there are two focal points in the image but since I like them both I'm OK with it. I really don't know how I'd crop it otherwise 'cuz I really wouldn't want to lose that sky.

I like it. It works for me. Makes me want to go there for sure.

Jim G

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: JimmyD] #14556
04/12/08 10:45 AM
04/12/08 10:45 AM
Donner Summit, CA
glamson Offline
Veteran
glamson  Offline
Veteran

Donner Summit, CA
Quote:

Still trying to find time to put together a series of American southwest images, I think I will break it down into area's.

In the meantime here is a shot from Bryce Canyon. We drove in just before sunset on our way to another area and stopped to grab this shot. The sun was dropping fast and the sky was clouding over but I managed to get off a couple of shots before it was over.

Wish I had more time there

I used a 2 stop GND singray filter to balance the sky and forground

Jimmy,

Very nice. Bryce is indeed a magical place especially at sunrise and sunset. I've never been when there is snow on the mountains. It definitely adds to the landscape. I'll have to try and get there during the winter (same goes for your Delicate Arch images). Of course it really is a great place any time of the year. Here is a sunrise in July.

Re: Bryce Sunset [Re: Jim Garvie] #14557
04/12/08 11:28 AM
04/12/08 11:28 AM
Ontario Canada
JimmyD Offline OP
Tracker
JimmyD  Offline OP
Tracker

Ontario Canada
Quote:

I really don't know how I'd crop it otherwise 'cuz I really wouldn't want to lose that sky.

Jim G

I did shoot this scene horizontal(landscape), it included more snow on the right and I feel is a more pleasing composition but the sky changed so fast that the image does not have the same impact. It's one of those shots that makes you want to return for a retake.

I tried to crop up from the bottom a little then remove what's left of the small tree on the left but it seems to throw it off balance

Thanks for the input!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 358 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer