05/12/08 12:36 AM
05/12/08 12:36 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Marty Everhard Offline OP
Old hand
Marty Everhard  Offline OP
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Since Nolad and I have gotten so far off topic in our Hawaii series I want to redeem myself and close out the Hawaii thread and get back to the National Parks!

I am going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in two weeks. I actually reserved a week at " The Grand Canyon Lodge" two years ago, work got in the way, tried to go last year, and the reservation persists for next week. I hope work does not steal the occaision again.

If anyone has stayed there, the tips and suggestions are appreciated!

The closest I have gotten :

Canyonlands NP, Island In The Sky

Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: Marty Everhard] #15161
05/12/08 04:39 PM
05/12/08 04:39 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Marty,

I have never stayed there. My wife and I stayed at the North Rim about 9 years ago when we first got married. I hated my Grand Canyon experience, but honestly, the problems were mostly of our own making. LOL, I just could not take the heat!!!! I will be heading back in January for the Digital Wedding Forum's conference, and I look forward to taking a second crack at the Canyon...this time at a season that is more agreeable to my needs. :P

James

Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: James Morrissey] #15162
05/15/08 04:02 PM
05/15/08 04:02 PM
west Michigan, USA
jadlh Offline
Old hand
jadlh  Offline
Old hand

west Michigan, USA
I stayed on the North Rim about 10 years ago in those little cabins near the edge of the canyon. We took the mule ride down and I was really glad I had a ride on the way up.

I wish I would have had better photo equipment then but then again I still think my newer equip is near the bottom of the line but at least I'm digital now.

I hope you have a great trip Marty

Here's a sunrise I'm glad I didn't miss.

Nolad Mechadesh
Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: Marty Everhard] #15163
05/15/08 09:11 PM
05/15/08 09:11 PM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Marty:

Never had the pleasure of staying at the Lodge, but did use it as a jumping off place for a backpacking trip across to the South Rim. The North Rim is much less crowded than the South Rim, and there are several excellent vantage points within "spittin' distance" of the Lodge. The most obvious being Bright Angel Point, about a half mile down a paved path from the Lodge.

But, there are a lot of equally good or better views to be had a little ways further down the trails. They are also likely to be less crowded than the ones by the Lodge. But try to pick a trail that the mules don't use. On a hot summer's day, those puddles of mule p#$% can be downright overpowering.

There are a lot of viewpoints along the road to Cape Royal. The folks at the Lodge can help you identify some good spots. The light at the Canyon changes constantly from pre-dawn, to morning, to sunset, to afterglow, so if you find a spot you like, plan on two visits. If you are lucky, maybe you'll catch a mid-day storm to provide some really dramatic effects.

Remember to carry plenty of water, and, if you wander down any of the trails, don't forget that it is UPHILL on the way back. Enjoy.

Tucson Jim

Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: Tucson Jim] #15164
05/16/08 12:26 AM
05/16/08 12:26 AM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thank's for piping up. I still may have interference from going at all, but with a little luck I will be the new expert on the place ! As far as the sunrise goes, I am glad for them all. And I'll bet the backpack across was a lifetime experience,Jim. That last mile musta been a bitch though........

Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: Marty Everhard] #15165
05/16/08 02:22 AM
05/16/08 02:22 AM
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Tucson Jim Offline
Old hand
Tucson Jim  Offline
Old hand

Tucson, Arizona, USA
Quote:

And I'll bet the backpack across was a lifetime experience,Jim. That last mile musta been a bitch though........

You've got that right! Even though we camped overnight at Phantom Ranch, I like to died climbing Jacob's Ladder, a series of switchbacks a couple of miles from the top on the way back out.

But fortunately I was distracted by what seemed like a couple of dozen Desert Bighorn Sheep browsing alongside the trail at several levels.

More than once, I was startled by a couple of them leaping across the trail within arm's reach in front of me. Did I have a camera? Of course not. Any extra weight I was carrying was devoted to food and water. (Mostly water) Different priorities in those days.

Let us know if you find any particularly good spots, since your post inspired me to decide to head up there myself in June.

Tucson Jim

Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: Tucson Jim] #15166
05/17/08 01:04 AM
05/17/08 01:04 AM
Arizona
daveman Offline
Old hand
daveman  Offline
Old hand

Arizona
I love the hike to the bottom of the grand canyon. That hike is incredible - it is like you are in a different world. You really cannot appreciate the canyon until you have hiked at least some way into it. I have been at the bottom twice - once camping at Phantom Ranch - the other time we spent a week at the bottom of hermits trail. Really a great place.

I think it is harder hiking down than up - my legs were killing me on the way down.

This is one of my favorite shots from the bottom- the building is one of the cabins at Phantom Ranch - this was taken from the North Bright Angel trail looking south - toward phantom ranch.

See my stuff here davedilli.zenfolio.com
Re: The Grand Canyon [Re: daveman] #15167
05/19/08 07:19 PM
05/19/08 07:19 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Old hand
Old hand

Salt Lake City, Utah
Thank's for the photo's and well wishes. So far it looks good for leaving a day early on Wednesday. We are expecting a cold front here which I hope gives me some storm shots. I really need to pay attention to my business at home here in SLC but I worry if I don't take this chance it may be awhile before I get another. A familiar dilema to everyone I am sure. I have not seen a National Park yet that I would have missed, and I am sure gonna try to see this one.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 355 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer