06/19/11 11:49 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

In Part VI if Richard Strange's 2010 Photographic Journey, he takes us through Oregon and into Washington State.

Re: Richard Strange - 2010 Photo Tour Part VI [Re: James Morrissey] #35531
06/19/11 11:55 PM
06/19/11 11:55 PM
James Morrissey Offline OP
I
James Morrissey  Offline OP
I
Carpal Tunnel

Much like Oregon, Washington is full of numerous forests and mountains with wondrous places having endless delights to photograph. Unfortunately and also like Oregon, a few extra days is helpful as I have never been to Washington without getting wet sooner or later. In this case it was sooner but all was well as Greys Covered Bridge was about to get a facelift. The sight was less than desirable so the rest of the day was devoted to travel and finding a campsite at Rainier. Rainier turned out to be absolutely incredible offering three continuous days with clear views of the mountain. To explain why this is so important, it took me four trips to Rainier before I ever saw the mountain. Southeast of both the Olympic Rain Forest and Seattle it endures continual Pacific storm patterns and at 14,411 feet is high enough to create some of its own weather conditions under certain atmospheric conditions. An entry into the Park from the southwest affords you the benefit of exploring a western rain forest and incredible wild flowers if you get off the beaten path. I explored some new areas I had never seen, had a wonderful sunrise at Reflection Lake and a bear encounter at Paradise. Setting up to photograph the creek above the waterfall a half mile or so up the trail, I was nearly knocked to the ground by an equally startled bear who managed to knock my tripod and camera to the ground. Crash, tinkle, tinkle, tinkle is never a sound you wish to hear on such occasions and while in a bit of fright as well as shock I totally lost sight of the bear and muttered out “Oh XXXX! Not another Nikon.” As I reached down to retrieve the camera and reattach it to the tripod, it appeared that the polarizer took the blow and possibly saved the lens. I quickly set it upright to check through the lens and there was that damn bear posing in the picture. Without checking settings I quickly released the shutter and decided this big guy needs the 300. He was close and beautiful. I reached to the ground to retrieve the 2nd camera and no sooner was I upright then here he came, slowly but deliberately in my direction. Of all the times to be without my bear spray. Yikes! Without hesitation I decided to forego additional images, grabbed the tripod by the legs and began to slowly back down the trail, hoping he wouldn’t charge and trying to maintain a suitable distance from him. In a flash he bolted to his right and up a rather steep slope into some big rocks. Oh boy what an experience this was. Anger, excitement, exhilaration, terror and relief, all in a matter of a few seconds; and I won’t even go in to the story about the Marmots, the Badger or the Foxes. Well, yes I will. This particular Mountain is home to the rare Cascade Montaine Fox. To see one is rare. To photograph one is sheer luck. I have photographs of three different ones. Black faces and brilliant orange eyes make them appear mystical and perhaps like something from a Halloween Movie.

By all rights, Rainier was so wonderful I should have been done with Washington but a couple bridges and several hundred miles later I found myself in the fields off the eastern slopes of the Cascades. I spent an afternoon trying to capture Northern Harriers, Red Tails and a beautiful Swainson Hawk who provided an incredible low fly-by for my delight and photographic record. I just love the big birds. Well, I guess I like the smaller ones too they’re just too freekin’ fast. As I was using this trip to refine my bird photography technique, I will devote a little more time to the birds later. I had never seen Mount Baker so off I went, backtracking across the Cascades and up around the mountain. Unfortunately, I ran into another mobile car wash and never got to see the mountain. So far, I had seen more rain on this trip than I had seen all year in the desert.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 336 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright �2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer