11/22/11 06:27 PM
11/22/11 06:27 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Last week, I bought a Canon 7D to replace my Canon 40Ds. I've been using XXD Canon bodies for almost 7 years and they have always served me well in both my work as a dog show photographer/pet portraitist and in my hobby photography of wildlife and landscapes and anything else I find that is interesting. But, I used a 7D at the 2010 Rottweiler National Specialty and, afterwards, in my travels across the state of Colorado and I realized it was a lot more camera with a lot more capabilities than my 40Ds. So, I finally decided to pull the trigger.

When the camera arrived, I ran it through some basic tests to make sure it was working OK and was very happy with the camera's overall condition. Today, I finally had the time and the opportunity to go out and actually test all (well, most) of the capabilities of this camera. Mostly, I wanted to check out the major differences in the focusing system of the 7D vs the 40D because it is a much more sophisticated system with lots more options and I wanted to learn what to use in different situations. So, I took the camera and my trusty Canon EF 200mm F2.8L off to my favorite place in Orlando: the Shingle Creek Nature Trail.

I've spent a lot of time walking that trail either alone with my camera or with the dogs, usually Rowdy when he was with us. I'm familiar with what wildlife is there this time of year and where it usually is hiding out. So, with the abundance of flora and fauna available in Florida in November, I figured that was an ideal place to test out the 7D in earnest.

First item to test was auto-ISO. The 40D had it but I seldom used it. It was one of the earliest iterations of that functionality. The 7D's auto-ISO is much more sophisticated and virtually transparent. So, shooting RAW, I put the camera on auto-ISO and started my hike. First item was just a pretty flower along the boardwalk at the start of the trail. The camera gave me 1/320s f/2.8 at 200.0mm iso100 and here's the image.

Next, I dialed in All Focus Points for a landscape shot of the Creek itself with its primordial Spanish Moss.

I was hoping to find some River Otters active at that time of the day but I rather doubted I'd find any. On the way up the trail, I spied another warm-blooded creature hiding behind some tree limbs and that allowed me to test out the Single Point Spot Focusing capability that lets you dial in a very small subject in the midst of lots of clutter.

When I got to where the trail comes out of the woods to a clearing, I found a Little Blue Heron standing on the rail of the bridge I had to cross. The bird must have seen me before because he just stood there until I was no more than 20 feet away and let me take his portrait.

Once in the clearing, the wetlands that feed the creek move off to the West and that's where most of the wading birds tend to hang out. I was watching two Wood Storks in a tree nearby when suddenly, two Great Blue Herons took flight just to my left. I had the camera set for AI Servo, Hi Speed Burst and central focus area but had no idea what I'd get. Here's the first capture of the first bird.

And here's the capture of the second bird as he flew over almost directly above me.

Later, on my way back to the car, I spotted my Little Blue Heron friend again and grabbed another quick shot.

And, finally, just before I got back to the car, I shot this seed pod using a larger single focus point for broader coverage.

I'm not suggesting that I had the opportunity to test all the features or settings of the camera but I did have a chance to test it on a wide variety of lighting and some action shots so I'm comfortable saying that the camera offers a lot of capabilities. The only limiting factor would appear to be the guy handling it smile. I'll work on getting more practice.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Field Test: Canon 7D [Re: Jim Garvie] #37457
11/23/11 04:53 PM
11/23/11 04:53 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
Hey Jim,

Thanks for posting this yesterday. It sounds like you are very much 'in like' with the camera. That is good. I also have a 40d that we keep as back up to the 5d. It is amazing how it runs rings around the 5d ii in terms of over-all operation (and of course, is much older). Glad to see that the 7d is meeting expectations. Glad to see the AI Servo works so well. I almost never use it on my 5dii as I don't find it to be very good. Perhaps someday they will update the 5dii...................

James

PS Like the look of that second photo a lot. It is unique.

Re: Field Test: Canon 7D [Re: James Morrissey] #37462
11/24/11 12:07 AM
11/24/11 12:07 AM
California
G
gebert Offline
Wanderer
gebert  Offline
Wanderer
G

California
Thanks so much for this! Just received a new 7D from Canon today & shot some birds hand-held & finally, the 7D everyone is raving about! Your marsh picture is outstanding!

Gigi Ebert Photography
Re: Field Test: Canon 7D [Re: James Morrissey] #37464
11/24/11 08:36 AM
11/24/11 08:36 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
James,
well, I already knew I liked it. You can't spend 2 weeks, 6,000 frames of dog show photos and another 1,000 frames of scenics as we did in Colorado last year and not get a good feeling about the camera and the quality of its files. But I never really had to use all the features nor to test out all the different ways the new focusing system allowed you to use the one-shot and AI Servo modes. Canon really did a good job of upgrading the focusing system to make the 7D a better sports camera. It's not a 1D series but it's perfectly adequate for what I do.

Plus, the difference between the Digic 4 processors and the Digic 3 in the 40D is huge. While I basically shoot RAW most of the time, the jpegs coming out of this camera are very, very nice. And finally, it appears that Canon got much better high-ISO performance out of this crop sensor than they have with any other Camera. I realize the 5D and the 1D series probably have lower noise due to sensor size but the 7D gives me at least 2 full stops of high-ISO shooting with easily-controllable noise. Which is great for indoor environments like the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship and Westminster.

In short, it's a better camera than the 40D. And I haven't even tried the video yet. Maybe this weekend.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Field Test: Canon 7D [Re: gebert] #37465
11/24/11 08:39 AM
11/24/11 08:39 AM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline OP
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline OP
Addict

Florida
Gigi,
glad you're enjoying your 7D as much as I am. As for the photos, I never forget how fortunate we are here in Florida to have such wonderful weather throughout the year and to be able to visit Nature Trails like the Shingle Creek Trail near my old house. A bit of pristine wilderness a mile away from a major planned community. One of these days, I'll see if I can capture those Otters and post them for you. They're shy but incredibly fun to photography.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online876
Apr 25th, 2024

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer