st. petersburg, florida, usa a...
V
Visceral Image Offline OP
Old hand
Visceral Image  Offline OP
Old hand
V

I have been working on a new website that will showcase my Pet and Family photography. I have not populated it with tons of images but I have set-up the basic design. I would love any input. There is an option for both high speed and dial up.

See www.visceralimagephotography.com

Re: New Website [Re: Visceral Image] #14743
04/22/08 04:49 PM
04/22/08 04:49 PM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey John,

Thanks for sharing your site. I have now perused both the dial-up and the cable site versions.

Positive Things:

(1) I think your galleries are very good. You are a good photographer.

(2) I like that you provide both HTML and flash versions of the site. Very nice. LOL, I abandoned the dial-up folks ages ago...and I think having both is very smart.

(3) Love the calendar. Very nice addition to the site...and for folks looking at dates and things, I think a draw.

However, I have some constructive criticism about the site over-all.

(1) The site seems to be aimed predominantly at pet portrait photography. The photo of the pretty landscape somehow does not fit as your opening home page.

(2) This site is a 'catch all' site...in that you are trying to showcase many different photographic talents you have. That is good. As I said earlier, I think you are a very good photographer. However, I am still not sure if you are trying to show a specialty in one area. For example, most of the photographs on the website are pet portraits, but when I click into the blog, the first thing I see is a bride. The odd thing above the photo of the bride is that your rates for pet portraits are right above her. It feels incongruent to me.

(3) Along this vein, do you think it might be a good idea to separate the pet galleries from everything else? For example, a drop down menu for pet portraiture, portraiture and landscape photographs? You already do this for your wildlife photography.

(3) It is a pity that not all site services are mirrored in both the HTML and flash versions (for example the proofing).

(4) This is a bit of a philosophical thing, so don't take my word for this...but I hate the concept of 'specials.' It implies that your time is not equally valuable all of the time. It is one thing when you are at Circuit City and they want to pull clients in with drop items so that they will spend money on other items, however, I feel it is different in the arts and the work we do. You may find that people wish to bargain for those rates even when your specials are not in effect.

Cheers,
James

Re: New Website [Re: James Morrissey] #14744
04/22/08 07:49 PM
04/22/08 07:49 PM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

James

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide constructive feedback.

I am a wildlife photographer but lately have branched into different areas just to pay the bills. My love for animals has guided my business toward pet photography. I did my first wedding in 32 years this past weekend. I had no plans to do any weddings but this was so much fun that I am giving consideration to doing a few more.

I am not a programmer so this is a template site. I also wish the proofing was available in html.

I agree it would be better to do pets in one menu item (with a drop down menu for multiple types of pets), then a menu item for weddings and another for portraits. In a perfect world, I would only do wildlife photography; in a little less than perfect world, I would do pets and wildlife. In my current world, I have been taking most any type of work I can find. I have a passion to be a photographer, not just part-time but as my career.

I will leave the landscapes and nature photography on my separate site with only the link at the top.

I agree, I do not like specials but I just got started in pet photography and needed some work, hence the special-just to get some work in the door. I also started working with the local SPCA to help them.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback; I will work on some changes.

Re: New Website [Re: Visceral Image] #14745
04/24/08 09:02 AM
04/24/08 09:02 AM
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Hey John,

Not a problem. A thought though about your pricing structure and specials. I see no problem with lowering your costs earlier and raising them as you go along. The 'special' if you will can be your normal working price for now. As your demand goes up, so do your prices.

James

Re: New Website [Re: James Morrissey] #14746
04/24/08 04:34 PM
04/24/08 04:34 PM
V
Old hand
Old hand
V

James, I took your advice and separated the site into a pet site and a family site. I still have not changed the intro sunset photo, to be done later this week.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 494 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer