10/29/11 01:21 PM
San Antonio, TX
FretlessD Offline OP
Journeyman
FretlessD  Offline OP
Journeyman

San Antonio, TX
Hey guys,

Here is a photo that I took in the front of my salon with natural light from the front windows and Bright white fluorescent lights from above. This was shot against the wall while Maggie, the bichon, was waiting for her dad.

I am putting it here for CC, but I am interested in another question. I love the use of natural light. I know that you don't have the control in a portrait sitting using ambient light, but I really appreciate the look over most studio lighting I have seen.

I am in the planning stages of building a studio at home. Currently the area is windowless (my garage). I am thinking of adding one or two walls of windows to give the natural ambient light. Do any of you doing pet photography incorporate natural light within your studio portraiture and style?

Doug

Last edited by FretlessD; 10/29/11 01:23 PM.

FOR THE LOVE OF DOG!!!
Re: Ambient lighting question. [Re: FretlessD] #37062
10/29/11 02:27 PM
10/29/11 02:27 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Doug,
I like everything about this photo except the color temperature -- it looks very cool (blue) to me. That could be the influence of the fluorescents or the light itself could be cool but I'd fix it in post. If you shot it originally in RAW, then simply adjust the white balance until the Bichon is pure white and not blue/white.

As for using natural daylight in a studio environment, I've only had the ability to do that once in my "home studio" which was built over my garage in Guilford, CT. I had a 4-ft. X 6-ft. skylight looking to the N and I used daylight-balanced photofloods on a track that ran down the center of the vaulted ceiling to fill. That was back in film days and it worked great for portrait work. If you have the option of renovating your garage to allow natural light, then why not?

However, the reason most of us use strobes with PLMs is to simulate the soft lighting effect of "Northern light" which artists have revered for centuries. Personally, I find Northern light to be too cool but easy to adjust in post. The other advantage to strobes is the ability to dial up -- or down -- the amount of light you want to use. With natural light, that's not always as easy to do. And, finally, natural light changes color depending on the time of day. Strobes do not. Again, most of us like to control those variables.

That said, I love to do available light, environmental portraits outdoors. I'll occasionally use a strobe for fill light but usually, just natural light and reflectors as needed. In the studio, I like to have total control of my lighting and, personally, having too many windows or skylights would force me to shutter those sources of light.

My suggestion is that if you can build in natural light into your studio, then do it. But also build in a way to shut it out when you want to use your strobes.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz
Re: Ambient lighting question. [Re: Jim Garvie] #37068
10/29/11 10:18 PM
10/29/11 10:18 PM
San Antonio, TX
FretlessD Offline OP
Journeyman
FretlessD  Offline OP
Journeyman

San Antonio, TX
Jim,
Thanks for the reply and your thoughts. I see what you mean regarding the color temperature. I work under the fluorescent light all day and they are blue. I tend to go to the cool blues instead of the warmer side.

How's this?

Thanks, Doug

FOR THE LOVE OF DOG!!!
Re: Ambient lighting question. [Re: FretlessD] #37085
10/30/11 02:25 PM
10/30/11 02:25 PM
Florida
Jim Garvie Offline
Addict
Jim Garvie  Offline
Addict

Florida
Much better! Love it.

Jim

Jim Garvie
www.jagphoto.biz

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 270 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer