Alaska
D
DavidRamey Offline OP
Veteran
DavidRamey  Offline OP
Veteran
D

Alaska
Yesterday, my son washed and brushed our Golden Retriever and I had him put the dog hair outside so the birds can use the hair in nest building. I was outside playing soccer with the dog when 2 Ravens swooped down to pick up the dog hair. Clifford (Golden Retriever) saw the Ravens in their dive and almost caught one. Clifford has very fast reactions and the best eye cordination I have ever seen on a dog. All this action and my cameras was in their cases in my office. Sometimes I think I should always have a camera with me, but how do you play soccer in 2 feet of snow with a dog and 50 lbs of camera gear around your body?

David Ramey Photography
Re: No camera!! [Re: DavidRamey] #2820
04/03/06 05:06 PM
04/03/06 05:06 PM
Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
PossumCorner Offline
Old hand
PossumCorner  Offline
Old hand

Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne, A...
Quote:

... Sometimes I think I should always have a camera with me, but how do you play soccer in 2 feet of snow with a dog and 50 lbs of camera gear around your body?

Isn't that always the way! So I looked for the answer a few months ago, and discussed it with a woman photographer friend with the same question, and we decided "handbag cameras" would be the way for us to go. Our gear might not run 50 lbs, but less muscle-mass etc .... . my friend now has an excellent small Canon P&S something on the resale market. And I bought a Panasonic FZ30. Now I love the Pana, but it has only had minimal use to what I intended. If anything is worth a shot, out comes the D70. Could just be a mind-set? Plus the Pana, although it fits the handbag and "always ready" mode, just seems too good to carry around risking getting damaged when photography is not the main purpose at the time. Can't justify it for the small amount of use it is given. So it will probably join my friend's "handbag camera" in the for-sale ads.

It seemed a good idea at the time, but now I still don't have the answer to catching those great moments. Maybe needed this nudge to persevere: will try to carry it with me a little more and use it a lot more before placing the ad.

Re: No camera!! [Re: PossumCorner] #2821
04/04/06 08:58 AM
04/04/06 08:58 AM
Manhattan, New York, New York
James Morrissey Offline
I
James Morrissey  Offline
I
Carpal Tunnel

Manhattan, New York, New York
This is ALWAYS the way, LOL! I cannot count the numbers of times that I have WANTED a point and shoot for kicking about. The problem is that most point and shoots don't give me the image quality that I want except in base ISO.

When I was at SWPP's bridal convention in England this January, I saw so many guys using a small Fuji (cannot remember which model). I saw some of the final production shots, but was not happy with the image noise still. What I want out of a consumer camera is fairly easy. I want a 4-5 megapixel consumer camera with a very clean ISO 400 anx 28-140 zoom. Also, I want something without a 10 decade long shutter lag.

I hate carrying around all of my gear, but I cannot get away from it. Recently, I have been taking the Oly E-330 (which I will have to give away soon, I think) to work every evening for sunset. BTW, it is a decent compromise in size to my 20ds.

James

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 449 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CTiefisher, DrSuse BlueDevil, airphotog, dwilson7878, carters paul
3317 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums6
Topics627
Posts989
Members3,317
Most Online629
Dec 4th, 2019

Copyright 2005 - 2020 Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. "NWPPhotoforum" and "nwpphotoforum.com" are the property of Nature, Wildlife, and Pet Photography Forum. All Rights Reserved. Wild Coyote Studio, New York Pet Photographer