The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Seattle in June question.

Posted By: gll

Seattle in June question. - 04/18/07 11:27 PM

We are going to be flying into Seattle 6/9/07 and rent a car, our plans are to see the water front and spend a day there, then acrosss to Port Angeles and get a room and spend a day at Hurricane Ridge, then LaPush working around and back to Everett by Sat for a family reunion, then going up north maybe Friday Harbor,
I was wondering if anyone knew of some good places to stay, last time we went to LaPush we almost had to sleep in the car, finally found a room. The last time at Friday harbor we took a whale watching tour and it was like a cattle boat way to many people and too few photo ops, so was looking for a more personal whale watching boat, maybe one that caters to photographers.
anyways Just wondering if anyone might know of someplace,
thanks
Gary
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Seattle in June question. - 04/21/07 03:50 PM

Hi Gary,

Sorry that I can't help you on this one. I have never been to Washington State before.

James
Posted By: Jim Lewis

Re: Seattle in June question. - 05/18/07 10:52 PM

Here is a guy just outside of Friday Harbor to take you out on his 26 ft boat:
http://www.snugresort.com/whalewatch.html I have not used him but I think you can hire him just for your own use.
The problem with staying in Lapush is there is not much out there. Forks is a small town about 10 miles inland, more choices there. Any where you go in Washington state after the end of May make sure to reserve ahead.
I live in Seattle and shoot wildlife so I'd be happy to help with any you need.
jim

Re: Seattle in June question. - 05/20/07 01:44 AM

Thanks Jim
We have been up there many times but always stayed with family and they are not photographers so they took us to places at noon and we saw very little wildlife. What area would you recommend to spend a few days looking around. our funds may be cut back alittle so the whale trip may have to wait.
thanks
Gary

Re: Seattle in June question. - 06/07/07 05:45 AM

Gary

Sorry for the late reply. At the first of june there are wildflowers still out close to Mt Rainier and The Northcascades Highway which is about 100 miles north of Seattle and heads over the mountains to the east. Along the way are usually bald eagles.
I you take the highway all the way around it brings you back south down the columbia river then back west at Wenatche back to seattle. In the spring it is a buitiful drive and green.
Around the area of HCH and I-5 can be large groups of trumpiter swans
Does that help?

Re: Seattle in June question. - 06/07/07 06:07 AM

Sorry for cutting that message off. As far as wildlife most of it within driving range of Seattle to the west is small creatures and birdlife. However there are lots of them I know nothing about them. I shoot mostly landscapes and large wildlife and take long trips to get there.
East of Seattle about a hundred miles are mountian lions and the occational cougar and black bear. The chance of seeing any of them would be very rare.
If you go to Friday harbor be on the watch for whales while on the ferry. On the north side of the island is Roche Harbor often one can see whales from the shore there. Feel free to contact me at jlewis@lewisgroup.com
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Seattle in June question. - 06/07/07 11:51 AM

there is northwest treck and the squim game farm. . .

Re: Seattle in June question. - 06/08/07 03:05 AM

Thanks Jim
We have to make a run over to TriCities so the Columbia river area is on the list,

Tony I'm not familer with the Squim farm, we are staying a few nights on the peninsula, what would we expect to see there? went to the trek once years ago, kinda on the fence about going back.
thanks
Gary
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Seattle in June question. - 06/08/07 11:50 AM

. . . buffalo, tigers, zebras, wolves, yaks and three varieties of bears . . . .

http://www.olygamefarm.com/farm.htm

Its in Sequim, WA.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum