The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Photography, Guns, and National Parks?

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/23/08 05:06 PM

Could this have any effect on photography/photographers in our National Parks?

Bush Administration to Propose New Rule Regarding Right-to-Carry in National Parks
Written by Daniel White
Friday, 22 February 2008

NRA press release

Bush Administration to Propose New Rule Regarding Right-to-Carry in National Parks

Fairfax, Va. - At the request of the Bush Administration and 51 members of the United States Senate led by Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID), the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service prohibition of firearms on agency land will be revised in the following weeks. The National Rifle Association (NRA) is leading the effort to amend the existing policy regarding the carrying and transportation of firearms in National Parks and wildlife refuges.

“Law-abiding citizens should not be prohibited from protecting themselves and their families while enjoying America’s National Parks and wildlife refuges,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “Under this proposal, federal parks and wildlife refuges will mirror the state firearm laws for state parks. This is an important step in the right direction.”

These new regulations, when finalized, will provide uniformity across our nation’s federal lands and put an end to the patchwork of regulations that governed different lands managed by different federal agencies. In the past, only Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and Forest Service lands allowed the carrying of firearms, while National Park lands did not.

The current regulations on possession, carry or transportation of loaded or uncased firearms in national parks were proposed in 1982 and finalized in 1983. Similar restrictions apply in national wildlife refuges. The NRA believes it is time to amend those regulations to reflect the changed legal situation with respect to state laws on carrying firearms.

The effect of these now-outdated regulations on people who carry firearms for self-protection was far from the forefront at the time these regulations were adopted. As of the end of 1982, only six states routinely allowed citizens to carry handguns for self-defense. Currently, 48 states have a process for issuance of licenses or permits to allow law-abiding citizens to legally carry firearms for self-defense.

The move for regulatory change by the Administration will restore the rights of law-abiding gun owners who wish to transport and carry firearms for lawful purposes in most National Park lands and will make the laws consistent with state law where these lands are located. Fifty-one U.S. Senators from both parties sent a letter to the Department of Interior late last year supporting the move to render state firearms laws applicable to National Park lands.

“These changes will respect the Second Amendment rights of honest citizens, and we look forward to the issuance of a final rule this year,” concluded Cox.

-NRA-
Posted By: Gluteal Cleft

Re: BUSH SAYS YES TO GUN's IN PARKS? - 02/23/08 06:18 PM

I don't know what you think you have to worry about. People are already allowed to pack everywhere else in the wilderness. Allowing them into the national parks is not going to make them suddently turn into violent killers.

I rarely go to national parks, but in the country and backcountry that I visit, I would say that well over 50% of the people I come across have guns. Sometimes they're out in a saddle-sling, sometimes they're packed away, sometimes in a holster, and it's just not a problem. In fact, the folks you run into with guns are, as a rule, the nicest and most polite you'll find.

On the flip side, one of my wife's friends and his sister were gunned down in a canyon inside the city limit, near a home, for no apparent reason. The perp was a drug-addict who was strung out, and just wanted to see what it would be like to shoot someone.

The folks like that, the ones you *should* be worrying about, don't spend much time hiking the backcountry. The folks you run into in a national park aren't a worry at all.

In fact, despite ALL gun crime, it's still more dangerous for you to get in your car and drive to work.

Re: BUSH SAYS YES TO GUN's IN PARKS? - 02/23/08 06:36 PM

this is about guns in our national parks and what it potentially means to photography.

I dont want people in the parks gunning down grizzly bears when they bluff charge or when they see one approaching their car or think that they were in danger. I dont want bears and other wildlife getting shot at, or hearing gun shots for that matter. Too many "accidents" and too many potential problems with guns in the backcountry of our national parks. It happens multiple times across montana every year. I guess I'd ask you why would you need a gun in a national park anyhow if everyone is soo nice?

It makes me uneasy to think that there could be people poking a rifle out the window of their car because they are just going to protect themselves -- just in case that bear comes too close. I can see wolves and bears now being shot at random, from roads, that makes ME a suspect because I'm in the Park off trail all the time -- I dont like the idea of guns in the back country. I spend a great deal of time in out national parks i dont think we need to have guns in the backcountry of our national parks. wilderness is another matter. I used to be a guide and packer I get your points. . .

If this becomes law, you WILL see wildlife being shot in national parks - what would Denali be like if anyone that wanted to packed a gun?
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: BUSH SAYS YES TO GUN's IN PARKS? - 02/23/08 10:47 PM

I personally think this is a big mistake. The national parks have a concentration of both wildlife and tourist. I think we will see not only wildlife being "accidentally" but people to. I can just image John Doe who's never handled a weapon thinking I'd better buy a gun to protect my family on our trip to bear country in Yellowstone. Then the first time something stirs in the brush he gets scared shoots and you have one dead tourist innocently shot because they where in the brush taking a picture of a flower.
Now don't get me wrong, I am all for the freedom of right to carry a weapon but I think allowing them in our National Parks is just a recipe for a disaster. I've also got personal experience with this. I've been shot at 3 times and hit once. All of them in the woods on our farm. The idiot that shot me was illegally trespassing on our property trying to shoot a deer. I guess I looked like one.

Heck I'm the kind of idiot that probably does need a gun in the parks. I love to go alone into the back country to shoot my pics. I move as quiet as possible and hope to see a bear. But, while it will suck if Mr. Grizzly eats me it's my own fault. What right do I have to act that like that in the animals domain and then shoot it because I'm dumb?
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: BUSH SAYS YES TO GUN's IN PARKS? - 02/23/08 11:40 PM

I gotta say I am kinda torn on this one. I know there are times I would feel more comfortable in the back woods with a hand gun "just in case". To be fair, I was raised around guns, my father collected guns and was through a gun safety course when I was like 7 yrs old. I dont personally hunt as I cant find much stomach to harm any wild life except in defense.

I have raised wolf hybrids as well and know animals well and I interact well with animals. I also know how ugly things can get under the "wrong" circumstances....hense the desire to carry a gun in the back country.

But....I also know humanity and for the most part....I can see MAJOR problems letting just any yahoo cary a gun in the back country. Animals killed all because a person dosnt know how to act when they are in the animals back yard. People killed because they were suspected to be an animal (I see visions of a south park episode where they would see a rabbit and yell "its comming right for me!!!!" as they pulled the trigger....comedy that is sadly closer to reality than most are comfortable to admit.)

So....with the balance of safety and the knowledge of human nature....I agree that while even I would feel a bit safer with a sidearm in the back country....for now...as we are in our evolutionary adolesence...I can see wisdom in NOT allowing guns in the backcountry of our NP.

Roman
Posted By: Gluteal Cleft

Re: BUSH SAYS YES TO GUN's IN PARKS? - 02/23/08 11:42 PM

You're forgetting that people can (and do) already take guns everywhere else outside of national parks, and there are still plenty of wildlife out there.

I can hike locally where bear, cougar, moose, deer, coyotes, and other wildlife are plentiful and easily found, despite the fact that people can (and do) take guns there.

If I thought that guns in a national park would mean any significant impact on tourists or wildlife, I'd be against it, too. But my experiences outside of the parks leads me to believe that it would work out just fine in a park.

The places where you see a serious impact on wildlife are in close proximity to small towns. The locals go out and shoot things for fun. Any time I'm within five miles or so of a small town, wildlife becomes scarce to none, and spent casings and trash become the norm. But in any area that's even remotely similar to a national park, that's just not the case.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/24/08 12:13 AM

I am like Roman on this one. Maybe my emotions are a tad raw right now since I am only twenty minutes away from the NIU college shooting on Valentines Day. I do not think people should be allowed to carry guns at a school either but they do and always will.
I really do believe that National Parks should be safe for wildlife and not allow "hunters". Gun carrying would make people more inclined to use if it is permitted. No Mr. Bush - you are wrong!

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/24/08 04:05 AM

"You're forgetting that people can (and do) already take guns everywhere else outside of national parks, and there are still plenty of wildlife out there."

Abolutly not foretting that. The main difference is 1. millions, I mean MILLIONS of people concentrated around "habituated" animals in the parksand 2. wildlife, including bears that are at or near road, and places where people camp and eat. . . put them together with a wing-nut with a gun and park pass and you got a mess. . .

Jamesdak, is right on the mark! and as other's have pointed out, it spells trouble.

Consider this, there probably is no place that represents the spirit of this nation, freedom, democracy, around the world, and is more "public" than the National Mall in washington dc, the arlington cemetary, the national catherdral, the white house, the federal courthouse, the jefferson building, the Dirkson building, the national archives, I could go on and on, should just anyone with a gun be allowed in those buildings?

I'd like your oppinions on this, come on, guns in national parks, nevermind the serious poaching issues that cause the ban in the first place, how about guns in the capitol, that's a national park folks . .. ..

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/24/08 04:06 AM

Take a look here, the National Parks Conservation Service has some good information on this subject, just posted today.

http://www.npca.org/media_center/fact_sheets/coburn-amendment.html
Posted By: gll

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 02:28 AM

Law abiding citizens are never the problem, theres always an idiot somewhere around, the thing to remember is the right to carry is changing not the right to use fire arms, you will still be responsible for what you do. just because you have the right to carry doesn't mean you have the right to shoot when ever you want to.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 03:01 AM

if everyone understood that gll, there would be no need for laws. . .
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 05:45 AM

Hey Guys,

There have been several times when I have been in the parks when I had wished that I had a gun at my disposal just for safety. LOL, this is coming from a New York liberal. :P However, I have a very high tollerance for anxiety, and I have never been in a situation where I have not been able to think my way to safety. This includes a few situations where I have been - sometimes unwittingly - way too close to wildlife that could do me serious harm.

Be that as it may, my gut tells me that having guns in the parks are wrong. I have a belief that crisis situations where serious harm is committed can most always be avoided if one is paying attention to the environment around them as well as following common sense precautions.

Some have mentioned the concern of poaching and hunting as a result of this law. While this is indeed a danger, it is one of many. I also worry that the amount of fatalities in the parks could significantly increase as people put themselves - and the other animals - into harms way thinking that they are safe when they really are not.

-JM

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 02:15 PM

Good point james, I never thought about it that way, but you are right. some people if given a gun to "protect" themselves would would be like giving them a shot of courage as well, making them do what otherwise they would not have done. . .

Boy, I can see it now, stumbling onto a dead grizz or wolf in the park, i'm sure that whoever shot it would at least leave a note explaining who, what, when, where, and why. . .

I still think it its a recipe for disaster. . . I'll appose it. . .
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 03:12 PM

The points that have been made on this subject are all reasonable and good. I'm with Tony on this one: no guns in National Parks. Period. Of course, I think people should have to pass an IQ test to own a gun in the first place but that's another issue .

Bottom line is that the parks would not be safer with folks carrying guns. Not for people; not for the wildlife.

Jim
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 07:20 PM

Ya know...the funny part is...if they DO pass the law...I would almost HAVE to cary a gun....not for the animals...but for the most dangerous animal in the outback....some other person with a gun. :~)

Roman

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/25/08 07:42 PM

touche!

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 12:11 AM

I would almost bet a surprising number of the cars going thru the park have a firearm in them already.
From the park service web site:
"Weapons
No firearms or weapons, including state-permitted concealed weapons, are allowed in Yellowstone. However, unloaded firearms may be transported in a vehicle when the weapon is cased, broken down, or rendered inoperable, and kept out of sight. Ammunition must be placed in a separate compartment of the vehicle. "
so the guns are there just unloaded, so how longs it take to load up ?
I've read to many stories where they find someone that gets attacked by a bear and had a handgun and never got off a shot, as in most situations it the surprise that gets you. As for poaching I read the other day where they prefer a spotlight and a bow, we saw where a bull elk was killed in RMNP a few years back, shot with a bow and the head removed, within 100 yards of a gas station on the edge of town.
all that said I will probably not carry a gun, I'm just not gonna be worried if some one else is, after all I got my pepper spray
Posted By: Joe Piotrowski

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 03:21 AM

I am against it also. I really don't think the wildlife is at risk but think about that poor Park Ranger who needs to confront a drunk camper who may be packing.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 02:40 PM

transport is legal in MOST national parks, not all.

making legal the carry of guns in our parks will tell the people that it's okay to pack loaded guns into the park. This will encourage those that would not other wise carry, it will also allow people who are "afraid" of the outdoors to carry a weapon that they then are likely to use when something goes bump in the night. It also will make it hard to find people doing the shooting. if passes the criminals that already kill our bears and wolves with little regard for the law now have a national park to shoot in. . . It's a horrible idea, just horrible.

If there are other safety concerns in the parks of the SW, they should be handled locally, yosemite and crater lake the same.

So what are the going to do allow pack and carry, but say, "but you cant shoot them?"

Dont allow pack laws in yellowstone and glacier, bad move. . . If it becomes law, i'll have to pack just so that I can shoot back. . .
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 06:49 PM

I am getting a big kick out of all these doom & gloom reports about if firearms are allowed in the National Parks. I can remember when firearms WERE allowed in the National Parks and there were NO problems reported back then. Don't blame an inanimate object for the behavior of crazy people. Blame the crazy people for their own actions and then lock them up.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 06:51 PM

Here's the latest . . . looks like the bill will get shot down, pardon the pun. . .

Park ranger group opposes gun proposal
By MICHAEL JAMISON of the Missoulian

- Thousands of national park rangers, police and retirees are speaking out against a plan to allow loaded guns in national parks - a proposal first put forward by Congress and now made possible by the White House.

“It's a terrible idea,” said Doug Morris, who has 40 years' experience with the National Park Service, from law-enforcement ranger all the way up to park superintendent. He's also a member of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, a widely respected group whose 640 members have a combined 19,000 years working in the nation's parks.

At a Monday news conference, Morris joined the Association of National Park Rangers and the Ranger Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police, as well as the National Parks Conservation Association, in opposing any plan that would put weapons on the hips of national park visitors.
Previously, an Oklahoma senator tried to place an amendment on a public lands bill allowing loaded guns in parks. When that measure drew political opposition, a stand-alone bill was crafted that would change Park Service rules to allow guns in parks.

At the same time those congressional wheels were turning, pressure was coming to bear on the Department of the Interior to take up the cause from inside. Some 50 senators - including Montana Democrats Max Baucus and Jon Tester - penned a letter to Interior, asking that the rules be changed.

And according to NPCA legislative representative Bryan Faehner, “There has been pressure, top down, from the White House.”

On Friday, Interior announced it would open the current rules to scrutiny, taking public comment on a possible “update” to park gun regulations.

Proponents argue guns are necessary for personal protection. They also say rules for gun use should be consistent across federal lands - on Forest Service lands, for instance, hunting is allowed.

Proponents also have said it is a fundamental Second Amendment issue, and rules prohibiting guns in parks infringe on those citizen rights.

Under current rules, guns are allowed in parks, but must be unloaded and properly stored. The National Rifle Association - which helped write the letter sent by senators to Interior - has argued existing regulations are overly burdensome.
Those rules date back to the mid-1930s, and were most recently reauthorized during the Reagan administration.
Faehner and other critics say allowing loaded guns in parks would put wildlife at risk, as well as endangering both people's safety and the “family friendly” reputation of national parks.

Morris said “parks are special places,” and predicted any public comment period will result in an overwhelming rejection of guns in parks. In his 40 years with the National Park Service, Morris said he'd seen animals shot on “impulse” when urban visitors - who were breaking the gun rules - felt threatened by surprise encounters with wildlife.

Putting guns in parks, he said, illustrates a “total disregard for how society values our national parks.”
Scott McElveen, president of the Association of National Park Rangers, agreed, and added his organization's 11,000 members to the growing list of those opposed to any rule changes.

He worries about wildlife being killed or injured, and about park employees and visitors, too.

George Durkee, director of the Ranger Lodge of Fraternal Order of Police, said there is “absolutely no practical reason” for changing current rules, noting “how panicked some visitors get when they see a wild animal.”

He imagines scared campers, hearing noises in the night, firing rounds from tents in crowded campgrounds.
And guns provide only a false sense of security in the woods, Durkee said, because “getting shot is just going to piss off a 500-pound grizzly bear.”

In fact, parks are some of the safest places in the country, he said, and are refuges not only for wildlife but also for visitors.

Hunters, the rangers said, already can pass easily through parks with their guns, so long as they're unloaded and packed away.

“It's just not a problem,” Durkee said. Adding loaded firearms to campgrounds, however, “changes the whole tenor of how a family area feels.”

In Morris' estimation, allowing guns in parks “truly opens a Pandora's box of possibilities.”

Nevertheless, the Bush administration has said it will publish a draft of its revised regulations by April 30, opening the issue to public comment.

In announcing that move to the Senate, Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne said the draft would take into account recent changes to laws governing guns in federal buildings, as well as gun laws in individual states.
It will, he said, preserve the “values of our public lands, including the safety and enjoyment of all visitors, while enhancing local control and respecting an individual's Second Amendment right to bear arms.”

Tom Keirnan, however, agreed with Morris' prediction that the public ultimately will reject any move by Interior to allow loaded guns in parks.

The president of NPCA said his group is “convinced when the review process is complete, it will show the existing regulations are not unduly burdensome, but are limited, reasonable and necessary to enable park rangers to carry out their duties of protecting the millions of families who visit our parks every year, and the wildlife that inhabits them.”

Reporter Michael Jamison can be reached at 1-800-366-7186 or at mjamison@missoulian.com.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 07:50 PM

Quote:

I am getting a big kick out of all these doom & gloom reports about if firearms are allowed in the National Parks. I can remember when firearms WERE allowed in the National Parks and there were NO problems reported back then. Don't blame an inanimate object for the behavior of crazy people. Blame the crazy people for their own actions and then lock them up.

But, do you not see the shift in social dynamics in respect to firearms? When I grew up in the mountains of VA the game wardens did not even pack weapons. But society and the respect people have for each other has shifted some and they are armed now for self protection.Are not the Parks running at all time highs in terms of visitors? I run into folks occasionally in the various Utah wilderness area I frequent and of those times only a few are openly carrying. But man you go to a national park and you are constantly tripping over people. I'm sure someone with more brain power than me can provide so statistical model showing how much greater the risk of an accident is. I think we all realize it's the idiot behind the gun that kills, not the gun. The SOB that shot me certainly was one of those idiots.

I'll use my own situation last summer in Glacier. We had just arrived and I took the family down to the little lake by the swiftcurrent inn because I figured we she the usual moose or two there. While walking in the brush, my wife started complaining (she's no country girl and was terrified of the thought of bears) and just as I turned to tell her to relax a Moose Cow and Calf burst right by us by no more than a few feet. Now my wife about had a heart attack and I wonder how many other edging people would have been startled and shot at the sound? She told me afterwards that she thought it was a bear attacking even though it was actually moose trying to get away from us. Who else is going to think bear?

I'm not a gun control liberal nut either(said slightly humourously so as not to offend). I believe in our right to bear arms. Heck I spent 22 years in the Army and carried various weapons throughout my carrier. I even spent 6 years in special ops carrying concealed weapons daily and it took several years after that for me to feel comfortable not carrying. But the national parks are the wrong place for weapons in my opinion.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/26/08 10:49 PM

I have lived through the change in the perception of firearms. When I was 10 years old, I lived in Columbus Ohio and I went into a store and bought with my own money a new .22LR rifle and 500 rounds of ammo. I placed the new rifle proudly across the handlebars of my bicycle and rode home through the streets of Columbus Ohio. There were no gun control laws and people thought of guns as just another tool from the hardware store. Crime was low. Now I can not even live in Columbus Ohio now because of the guns that I own are not legal there (although I bought them there legaly). Where gun ownership is easy, crime is low and where gun ownership is hard, crime is high. An armed society is a polite society.

Using a firearm for self defense doesn't mean that you have to shoot and kill or even shoot to wound. When I have used a firearm for self defense against a moose (in my OWN yard at -35F in the winter and the moose wouldn't let me in the house) I didn't kill or wound the moose, I took careful aim and clipped its front hoof slightly to persuade the moose to get out of my way before I froze to death. The front hoof was injured about the same as if you had clipped your finger nail into the quick. After that incident, the moose stayed around the yard for quite a few years but kept at least 25 feet from me, my family (including my 1 year old son and 3 year old daughter) and our dogs.

Owning and carrying a firearm doesn't make you any more susceptible to doing crime than owning and driving an automobile makes you suceptible to being a drunk driver.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/27/08 12:00 AM

we had a gun stock making class in my high school, we had to take the bolt out but otherwise we brought them through the doors. You used to buy guns when you were a kid, but what ever does that have to do with the society we now live in, except as a comparison to the "good-ol-days." We used to walk to school with our guns and go shooting like it was just what you did growing up. Okay, that was then this is now.

Dave, are you suggesting that it's because of the brady bill that our society now is the way we see it? Loaded weapons in parks is not wise. I guess we could say it's okay to have gun in a park, but it's not okay to use it. . .LOL

Dave, when I was 6 I used to walk a mile to get to school, I know zero children today that at age 6 walk themselves a mile to school let alone two blocks. . .

It's 2008 man. . .

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/27/08 01:26 AM

Quote:

we had a gun stock making class in my high school, we had to take the bolt out but otherwise we brought them through the doors. You used to buy guns when you were a kid, but what ever does that have to do with the society we now live in, except as a comparison to the "good-ol-days." We used to walk to school with our guns and go shooting like it was just what you did growing up. Okay, that was then this is now.

Dave, are you suggesting that it's because of the brady bill that our society now is the way we see it?

Actually, I never even thought of the Brady Bill when I wrote earlier. I was thinking of all the rights that have slowly been taken from us over the last 50 years.

Quote:

Loaded weapons in parks is not wise. I guess we could say it's okay to have gun in a park, but it's not okay to use it. . .LOL

Don't laugh, that IS the way the law is now.

Quote:

Dave, when I was 6 I used to walk a mile to get to school, I know zero children today that at age 6 walk themselves a mile to school let alone two blocks. . .

It's 2008 man. . .

I know it is 2008 and in a lot of ways I am glad it isn't 1950's, but we had freedoms then that we no longer have and our freedoms are getting eroded away at an alarming rate. My children aren't allowed to do the things that I was allowed to do when I grew up. I can't live where I grew up because they outlawed all the guns that I bought there when I lived there. How many freedoms will my grandchildren lose before they grow up? In a few more generations, we will have compromised the Constitution and bill of rights out of existence.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/27/08 01:45 AM

well, unless we find a way to curb population growth. . . we will have to adjust. If we cant stop population growth, we will continue to watch our "freedoms" eroded.

My great grandmother use to tell me about how things were before she was forced onto the reservation, she used to tell me how many salmon they use to get and how they could drink the water right out of the creek. She said the government came in and put in an irrigation ditch and dammed the river and all the fish soon dissapered. I guess each of us has our own perspective of free. . .

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 02/27/08 02:12 AM

Quote:

Loaded weapons in parks is not wise. I guess we could say it's okay to have gun in a park, but it's not okay to use it. . .LOL

Don't laugh, that IS the way the law is now.

Yes, but they have to be cased. . . I dont think you can carry a loaded or un loaded gun in to the backcountry. . .
Posted By: John O'Connell

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/01/08 04:04 PM

As I understand this proposed change,it is aimed at people who have CPL'S.these are folks who have had an FBI background check,& passed a CCW course.In a nutshell,the most law abiding people out there.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/01/08 06:28 PM

Hey John,

Welcome aboard. Just to clarify some terms a CCW, I believe, is a 'Conceal and Carry Weapons Course,' which is typically a 1 or 2 day training. I am not sure what a CPL is (I thought it usually referred to Commercial Pilot's License), so if you can help clarify that, I would appreciate it.

Cheers
James

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/01/08 08:53 PM

"As I understand this proposed change,it is aimed at people who have CPL'S.these are folks who have had an FBI background check,& passed a CCW course.In a nutshell,the most law abiding people out there. "

Can you cite for us how it is you came to that conclusion?
Posted By: tgarrett

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/02/08 11:42 PM

Tony, Let me see if I can clear this up a bit. CHL (concealed handgun license), CHP (concealed handgun permit),
and different states use other designations I believe. I
have a CHL for the state of Texas and it is legal for me to carry in a State Park. To the best of my knowledge there
have been no "ugly incidents" as a result of this law.
In fact after the CHL laws were inacted violent crime went
down not up. No, CHL holders aren't "packing" most of the
time and probably only carry when they feel they are in an
area that would make them vunerable to personal harm. For instance, I'm older so to a young thug I would look like an easy target so if I'm out doing some photography I will have my Kimberly 45 cal. 1911 handgun within easy reach.
I pray that I will never be forced to use it except for target practice. It might suprise you to know that many women have CHLs. The course for a CHL is given only after a thorough background check and as a previous poster said it
is usually a 2 day course and a large part of it deals with
the laws surrounding using "deadly force" and the consequences thereof. The instructors strongly emphasize that it is to be used ONLY as a last resort. The rest of
the course deals with safe gun handling and on the firing
range you must demonstrate what you've learned and show
that you are not only safe but reasonably accurate with you
weapon. I would say, in general, the people who take these courses and get their CHL are not the rootem tootum, shootem
up kind of folks. Most have used guns a good part of their
life either hunting or for target practice and want nothing
more than to protect themselves and their loved ones legaly.
As for the NP issue I believe most CHL holders simply want
to be able to take their handguns with them and not have to
disassemble and store them. The exception might be if they
want to hike and camp back in the wilderness and then they
might wish to carry in case of a bear attack but the bottom
line is that most of these people know that most handguns
won't take a bear down anyway. I would opt for pepper spray
and I bet they would too. As for shooting at a sound in
the brush I think you folks have CHL holders mixed up with
some "city slickers" who take a rifle, ammo and 3 quarts of
whisky to the mountains to go "hunting"???
I personally will not be concerned one way or the other if
they do or do not pass the law but I would, with all due
respect, say that most of the posts so far have reflectd
the mantra of the liberal gun control crowd who would dearly
like to see ALL guns made illegal.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 01:02 AM

Well said Tom, could not agree more.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 02:50 AM

Hey Tom,

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I think that you have made some solid points. I still don't think that anyone has answered Tony's question about a citation anywhere which indicates that the softening of the gun ban would be aimed at folks with CHLs.

Having said that, I think that I agree with you on most points. You are right, I am most concerned about folks who are not comfortable in their own skins having them available to them. I do believe that holding a gun can give a sense of false security when it is not warranted.

A similar (but hardly exact) example of this are some photos I took of a griz the last time I was in Yellowstone. I got lambasted by a few folks for being 'too close' even though I felt that I was well covered by both a ranger and a large truck. The truth was, in retrospect, I probably WAS a bit too close. The bear could have taken me down in 30 seconds had it wanted to. The ranger and his taser, pepper spray and rifle were not a safety blanket.

I do worry that loosening the restrictions on weapons in the back country may have an impact on the other critters who are in the parks for whom this is supposed to be a sanctuary. I realize that this is an opinion, but I worry that some folks might use the weapon as a 'safety blanket' and wind up putting themselves (or worse) the critter, in danger. As you point out, pepper spray may be more effective against a bear - but even pepper spray reportedly has questionable impact. Carrying any deterrant is only as good as the common sense that goes into their usage.

The one thing I do not particularly care for the use of the term 'liberal' as a nasty 7 letter word though because someone may have a differing opinion on the use of guns in the park. I think you will find that most of the folks here who are in support of the ban are gun owners and hunters (or folks who have hunted in the past). Even I, who will jokingly refer to myself as a New York Liberal, am a staunch supporter of the Second Ammendment. I do think, however, that it is very possible to be both pro gun and at the same time thoughtful about their proper place. This is NOT to imply that if you disagree with me that you are not being thoughtful, LOL. I am fine with folks making conversation where we don't agree on something...just not the marginalizing of an opinion with a stereotype (LOL, I am also ignoring the City Slicker one).

Cheers
James

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 04:48 AM

Quote:

Hey Tom,

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I think that you have made some solid points. I still don't think that anyone has answered Tony's question about a citation anywhere which indicates that the softening of the gun ban would be aimed at folks with CHLs.

[
Having said that, I think that I agree with you on most points. You are right, I am most concerned about folks who are not comfortable in their own skins having them available to them. This is not because I think that folks are going to start unloading hundreds of rounds in the middle of Old Faithful. However, I do worry that it may have an impact on the other critters who are in the parks for whom this is supposed to be a sanctuary.

[

I do believe that holding a gun can give a sense of false security when it is not warranted. An example of this are some photos I took of a griz the last time I was in Yellowstone. I got lambasted for being 'too close' even though I was well covered by both a ranger and a large truck. The truth was, I WAS too close. The bear could have taken me down in 30 seconds had it wanted to. The ranger and his taser, pepper spray and rifle were not a safety blanket.

I worry that some folks might have taken that situation to a bit more of the extreme thinking that 'they are safe' because they actually have a real weapon. As you point out, pepper spray may be more effective against a bear - but even pepper spray reportedly has questionable impact. Carrying any deterrant is only as good as the common sense that goes into their usage.

The one thing I do not particularly care for the use of the term 'liberal' as a nasty 7 letter word though because someone may have a differing opinion on the use of guns in the park. I think you will find that most of the folks here who are in support of the ban are gun owners and hunters (or folks who have hunted in the past). Even I, who will jokingly refer to myself as a New York Liberal, am a staunch supporter of the Second Ammendment. I do think, however, that it is very possible to be both pro gun and at the same time thoughtful about their proper place. This is NOT to imply that if you disagree with me that you are not being thoughtful, LOL. I am fine with folks making conversation where we don't agree on something...just not the marginalizing of an opinion with a stereotype (LOL, I am also ignoring the City Slicker one).

[

Cheers
James

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 06:11 AM

Hi James,
Thanks for the reply. Tony's first post was a quote of
the NRA discussion. If you read it carefully you will see
that the main intent is to have NP gun laws comply with the
gun laws of the state the park is in. This directly affects
CHL holders who are licensed to carry concealed in that state. If you think about it, it doesn't make much sense
to limit their license there but let them carry in the largest cities in the state. If they don't shoot up the
citizenry or the animals outside the park why would they do
it inside the park? I think, not sure, that the law would
only apply to CHL holders or perhaps others to carry in
their cars if the state permits that. Some do.
I doubt that unlicensed visitors will be granted any privileges not now in effect.

I certainly do not advocate that everyone pack a gun when visiting a NP but when I visit mine will always be in my
car and accessable. The only time I might want one would be if I were hiking and camping in the backcountry. Not so much as bear protection but thug protection. If truth be told I bet that a huge percentage of visitors have a gun in their cars now under the present system and do not have a CHL. I've never heard of the NPs having a problem with it.

James, with the exception of 2 posters everyone strongly
opposed the proposed new law. Several imagined tragic
secenarios were cited as good reason the law should not be
inacted. Although you don't care for the stereotype "liberal", that kind of rhetoric sounds exactly
like that of the anti-gun people and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck----------------------
As lovers of wildlife I can see how folks might over react
to this proposal if they did not fully understand what is
really being proposed. I respect you all, especially Tony, but I must disagree with the assumptions made in most of the posts.
Kindest Regards,
Tom

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 06:38 AM

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the information on the CHLs. Curiously, what happens when an owner is in a park that crosses multiple states (such as Yellowstone or Death Valley)? As I recall, one of the articles I cited raised this question in the newsletter this month.

As to the the response that the general consensus of the posts were 'liberal' in their orientation because all but two posters were strongly against this, I do not believe that this is accurate. I did a count (and perhaps I am losing it as it is late) of the messages. As I saw it, 4 posters were for the relaxation of the ban (Yourself, Gll, David and Gluteal Cleft), 6 were against (Tony, JamesDak, Roman, PeggySue, Jim Garvie and myself) and one did not say one way or the other (John O'Connell).

Interestingly, of the 6 folks who were against a relaxation of the ban, at least 3 of us said we are not against gun ownership in any way...just not relaxing the ban in the back country areas of the parks.

"Several imagined tragic secenarios were cited as good reason the law should not be inacted. Although you don't care for the stereotype "liberal", that kind of rhetoric sounds exactly like that of the anti-gun people and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck----------------------"

The situation, unfortunately, lends itself to imagined scenarios. Even my own scenario was imagined, not based on reality. I will be the first to agree with you though that speculation 'does not necessarily make it so.' It seems though that both 'pro' and 'anti' gun folks seem to find a case to make their opinion valid in any situation that occurs regarding a gun one way or the other.

However, given that the topic has been fairly well balanced over-all, why ruin the conversation with statements that are only going to lead to a degredation of the discussion? I find that any time someone throws the word 'liberal' or 'conservative' into the mix that it just becomes a way of people getting out feelings rather than substantive debate that actually ends in something valuable.

Thanks again for the information. It certainly does help put some of the items in perspective.

James

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 01:46 PM

Quote:

James, with the exception of 2 posters everyone strongly
opposed the proposed new law. Several imagined tragic
secenarios were cited as good reason the law should not be
inacted. Although you don't care for the stereotype "liberal", that kind of rhetoric sounds exactly
like that of the anti-gun people and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck----------------------
As lovers of wildlife I can see how folks might over react
to this proposal if they did not fully understand what is
really being proposed. I respect you all, especially Tony, but I must disagree with the assumptions made in most of the posts.
Kindest Regards,
Tom

Well, I am against it yet far from a liberal trying to ban guns. Grew up with them and used them all my life. But having been actually shot once and shot at 3 times by "idiots" in the woods I don't think it is a over-dramatization. And no I'm not really worried about the licensed carriers, like I said in an earlier post. It's the idiot who buys a gun for protection because he's taking the family to the "wilds of Yellowstone" and he needs to protect them against the fierce grizzly bear. Never had a gun in his life and now he's packing and nervous in a very busy national park. Recipe for disaster.

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 06:39 PM

It is not legal now for most to carry guns in our national parks. Outside of a few problem areas, most in boarder states, there are not safety problems. However, the reason the law was innacted by ronald reagon in the first was 1. to let people transport, (no bolt, in a case out of reach) and 2. to help law enforcement deal with poaching.

Now, unless you can SHOW me how letting more guns in the park will help with reducing poaching, or making the parks a safer place, this entire proposal is just political posturing.

I own, by most standards a lot of guns. I shoot them regularly, I hunt and kill game, I posses a concealed weapons permit, I'm trained in the use of fire arms, I'v also taken hunter safety (which, is another issue, especially if you hunt out of state - most now require you PASS a hunter safty course just to HUNT IN THAT STATE, I would think, that by your standards, you would be against that law too, in fact, I've never heard a singe person object to that and furthermore, the NRA supports it - go figure) but we can, as a society do without guns in our national parks. I'm talking about unlimited pack and cary. I'd be okay with a permit, or a pack and carry, or conceled weapons permit or a gun safety card, just like the ones hunters are issued in order to hunt in states like montana, colorado, wyoming, washington, and all of those programs are supported by the NRA dont forget. . .

BTW, the next time go for a drive in the wide open west, try to find a single deer crossing sign or a single forest service gate that DOES NOT have a hole in it. . . If you find one, take a picture of it and post it here. There are no bullet holes in the park signs, there would be if it were legal for anyone to pack a gun into our national parks. If you dont think this is true, or you down play the significance of it, you are choosing to participate in the willful social denial of truth.

I say, "No open carry laws in our national parks." If you have safety issues in the boarder states, deal with those, but dont think that by allowing guns in yellowstone and glacier they will become safer for you, or me, or the animals, they wont!

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 10:31 PM

Well now I'm confused, I thought we were discussing Right to Carry which I thought was concealed weapon permit only ? I never heard about an open carry law ? It was my understanding that a law abiding citizen could take a course on the gun laws of his state and certify with a handgun where you have to demonstrate you can shoot with some skill, then pay a permit fee and have a state agency (Texas is DPS) run a background check on you then if you passed everything you get a permit for concealed carry of a handgun, took about 2 months back when I got one. then you can carry, the gun has to stay concealed, you cannot flash it or pull it and play with it. it stays concealed. then there is only one situation where you are legal to shoot and that is to defend your LIFE or those of your Family.then a court will decide if you were justified. any other shooting is covered by numerous law already. a conceal weapons permit is an exception to prosecution for illegally carrying a handgun, it is not a license to shoot whenever or whatever you want.

open carry of a gun by anyone that wants to --- against it
Concealed weapons permit carry ------- For it

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 11:35 PM

Okay, lets get to the nuts and bolts and on the ground with a real life example of what will happen if this law is passed. This new law WILL hurt our national security and make glacier and Yellowstone more dangerous. In effect, what the new law would allow is for ANYONE that is NOT otherwise ban from owning a weapon, to carry a weapon in Yellowstone or Glacier Park. In Montana and Washington, last I checked, you could carry a gun on your side all day long, there's no law against it . . . so long as the hand gun is in site, on your body, you can carry it. . . It's only when it's hidden that a carrier must have a permit. You can NOT carry a rifle concealed.

So again, a new law like the one proposed would allow ANYONE not prohibited from carry a gun, to do so in a national park. In Montana if you’re a felon or under 18 or serving a jail term, you can’t get a permit or carry a gun and therefore you cant carry in a a park.

But more interesting is that the law, as proposed will NOT make things simpler – as it states it will in the article – but it will make things more complicated in places like Yellowstone and Glacier because one is an international peace park that shares an international boarder with Canada, and the other occupies two different states with separate gun laws, and gun carry laws do not cross state lines. . .

Glacier shares an international boundary with Canada and there is un regulated power boat traffic on Waterton Lake to and from the USA, talk about a terrorist loophole, you could drive a Mack truck through it. So you want to infringe on my right to recreate without government involvement by requiring me to go though a security check to get my boat on the lake right – okay, are you going to now pay for that?

If you support this law, you also must want to make our country less safe, If we allow un permitted people to pack guns in Glacier we will see increase in illegal gun traffic in the park, no doubt. And it won’t be the "law abiding” one's doing the trafficking. People will exploit the law because it will be less risky to drive to the lake boat the guns and bombs into the USA and then hike them right down to the road once your in the park.

This would happen because once you’re in glacier, it's okay to carry guns. . . This to me is a huge national security threat and if the law passes, YOU CAN BET LIFE FOR ME AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS AREA AND WATERTON PARK WILL BE MORE DANGERES NOT LESS. We will have more gun and drug trafficking due to no boarder security and wide open spaces where today it is not legal to have a gun; if it's legal half the risk is gone. . .

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/03/08 11:56 PM

To All,
I, like gll interpeted the law as applying to CHL holders
and not to others. So, Tony, James and the others who
opposed the new law, I sincerely apologize for my misunderstanding and insistance that it would be ok. Today
I did some research into the matter which I should have done
before opening my big mouth. Sure enough it looks like the
new deal will allow anyone who can legally own a gun to bring it into the NPs. I am opposed to that arrangement.
As an NRA member, I am suprised that they are apparently
backing the proposed change.
Tom Garrett

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/04/08 12:50 AM

Well as I said I'm against open carry by anyone. as for life being more dangerous I really don't think the gun and drug trafficking people care what the laws are, I think they will do it any way, someone wanting to smuggle a bomb in is not going to be stopped by a gun law.
And again I thought we were talking permitted carry, this seems to be a different horse now
Posted By: jadlh

Re: Photography, Guns, and National Parks? - 03/08/08 01:37 PM

I don't really have a problem with people carrying guns in Parks, it would be the idiots that use them for the wrong purpose...but then isn't it that way anywhere in the US?
There have been police officers that have used guns in the incorrect manner as well as DNR officers, so with the thinking all guns should be banned then of course they too would not have guns?...Yah,right!
Guns don't kill animals or people, so maybe we should ban people.
The point is I have a couple of guns, I do not take them into parks, but if I did it would be for protection from wildlife that I would feel threatened from, be it wolves or bears. I am not a hunter as I lost that desire 20 years ago, now I take my camera.
I might like to take my gun with me if I:
1. Felt that I would be threatened overnight in a Park as animals larger than me might think I would be food or I had food
2. Felt that I would be more comfortable in the woods with a gun as my photography might alarm a big animal.
With all that said, it wouldn't bother me if I was allowed to take a gun into a Park and if others had one as well, then I would feel safer with one.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum