The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Death Valley

Posted By: James Morrissey

Death Valley - 03/14/08 05:52 AM

Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned in another thread, I will be heading out to Death Valley with my wife for a few days in about two weeks. I started going through some photos from that trip. I was very pleased, for the most part. Here are a bunch that I really enjoyed. BTW, the first was actually taken outside of Death Valley. I have played with the shot a billion times trying to get the desert to look surreal - I keep coming back to the original (admittedly a HDR shot ala Roman's method).

I figured it might be nice to share some photos from that last trip.

James

Posted By: glamson

Re: Death Valley - 03/14/08 06:11 AM

Quote:

Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned in another thread, I will be heading out to Death Valley with my wife for a few days in about two weeks. I started going through some photos from that trip. I was very pleased, for the most part. Here are a bunch that I really enjoyed. BTW, the first was actually taken outside of Death Valley. I have played with the shot a billion times trying to get the desert to look surreal - I keep coming back to the original (admittedly a HDR shot ala Roman's method).

I figured it might be nice to share some photos from that last trip.

James

James,

After seeing your pics last year I made a note that I had to get back to Death Valley this spring. As it turns out, I will be spending a few days there next week. Sounds like there are some wildflowers blooming now but I'm sure it won't be like the bumper crop I saw back in 1983. This will be the first time I've been back with a DSLR and I plan to get lots of pics with my D200 and D300.

I'll be posting some in a week or two.

Geo

Re: Death Valley - 03/14/08 05:21 PM

Hey George,

Thank you very much. That is very nice. I am very excited about this year's trip. We will only be there for about 4 days, but it is something. Definite musts while I am there:

(1) Zabrisky at Sunrise
(2) The Race Track at Sunset
(3) Sand Dunes at Sunrise

Everything else, I am still trying to figure out. :P I have always wanted to to Rhyolite Ghost Town at sunrise, I think it could potentially be very beautiful. The last two times I have gone to Aguereberry Point, I did them at sunset. I think it might be interesting to try a sunrise there - though I am still of two minds about it. I am also considering how best to do Dante's. I think I prefer sunset their to sunrise...but I would like to do both. I just can not fit it in. :P

LOL, there is just too much to do there in 4 days. For example, I have never gone to Darwin Falls (which I would like to do). I have never done the salt flats at either sunrise or sunset.

This is the article I did last year...so the question is, do the same things and hope to do them better, or try different places?

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2007_Articles/jm/deathValley2.php

Cheers
James
Posted By: Joe

Re: Death Valley - 03/15/08 04:31 AM

Hi James,

Sounds like you are going to have one heck of a time packing 8 days of stuff into 4 days .

You were wondering about Dante's - sunrise or sunset. I made this photograph from Dante's last July at sunrise. I got up early enough to make it to the top before the sun broke the horizon so that I could scout around for a good location. I was the only one up there for quite a while so the only sounds I was hearing were from the very warm breezes that were blowing. Talk about peaceful. I never made it back for sunset so I don't know how crowded it would have been at that time.

Enjoy your trip to DV. I hope to make it back there in the not too distant future.

Re: Death Valley - 03/17/08 12:52 PM

Hey Joe,

Beautiful shot - reallyy it is quite nice. Where were you shooting this from on the peak? The area is quite large and I am having a hard time placing it in my mind.

On another note, has anyone ever been to Darwin's Falls, in Panamint (South of Stovepipe)?

James
Posted By: Joe

Re: Death Valley - 03/18/08 02:18 AM

James,

There is a path across the top of a ridge that starts at the southwest corner of the parking lot up there. I walked out on the path for 5 minutes or so to an area just passed a sign and turned right - looking to the north. It really is a beautiful place. Watching the sun break the horizon and light up the mountain range was almost magical.
Posted By: DavidL

Re: Death Valley - 03/19/08 04:06 AM

James,

I like Dante's at dawn. If you want particulars, see my Death Valley gallery, pix # 5,6 & 7. http://homepage.mac.com/jdavidlevy/JDLSite/Death/

Re: Death Valley - 03/20/08 09:07 PM

Hey Everyone,

Welp, it is almost time. I am going to be flying out tomorrow to Las Angeles (7:30 AM...yuck). Hopefully I will have some solid photos to share afterwards...or even during assuming there is a decent internet connection. :P

James
Posted By: JimmyD

Re: Death Valley - 03/22/08 11:56 PM

James

Good luck on your adventure.I just returned a week ago and got a few decent images.

Posted By: Jim Rickards

Re: Death Valley - 03/23/08 11:45 PM

Hey James - We'll be looking forward to a few fine shots. Have a good trip home.

Re: Death Valley - 03/27/08 05:01 AM

Hey JimmyD,

Yes, that is very nice. I am excited about getting there in a few days. Chanthee and I are in Monterey right now. This morning we saw sea lions and this evening we photographed cormorants. LOL, I have eaten more this trip than I have ever during a vacation. I bet I have put on about 5 pounds in the last week.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum