The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Stunning Glacier Park Image

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 02:39 PM

Well, it was one of those mornings when youre just darn glad you got out of bed early! Lucky for me, this location is 10 miles from my house. Also, this lighting is very rare and I'll be lucky if I see it again this year!

This is Two Medicine Lake. . .

Tony

Attached picture 15841-two-med-sunrise-email.jpg
Posted By: Julie

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 03:00 PM

That IS a stunning image!!!!
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 04:03 PM

Beautiful! Is it HDR?
Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 04:15 PM

don't think you can get much better than this,, wondering too,, is this HDR? DAve
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 05:31 PM

Wow, I am glad you got up early too!
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 07:35 PM

awesome image! Gee, this doesn't look anything like where I live! I now have Tony location envy!

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 08:17 PM

I'm glad you people like the shot. It is not HDR, it is pure God, me nikon and a few Lightroom adjustments. With the right light and a proper exposure, LR is an awesome tool!

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/10/08 10:35 PM

And here's what it looks like outside less than 10 hours later! This is my daughter on the front porch! LOL

gota love it!!!

Attached picture 15852-DSC_2257-2.jpg
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/11/08 11:22 AM

simply awesome Tony
the wife and I are going to get up your way again soon, hopefully the weather will be a bit more cooperative than the last time

don
Posted By: Joe

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/11/08 01:06 PM

Tony,

What a great image! Congrats on being in the right place at the right time. While I can't comment on the rarity of the light I can say that it certainly very beautiful.

My wife and I had a great visit out to GNP two years ago (with one exception - we stayed at Belton Chalet, had a room in the front, and were 'serenaded' by the train at all hours of the night.) Alas it was all too short so we'll just have to visit again at some time in the future. Your photograph is making me want to do that sooner rather than later.

Tony - this is such a grand image I was wondering if you had a viewable version of it that doesn't suffer from low resolution and jpg artifacts?

In any case this is an image worthy of printing large and hanging. Anyone wanting to get an inkling of what it's like to visit GNP needs only to view your photograph.

Thanks for letting us share it with you.

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/11/08 05:36 PM

Thanks again for looking and for your kind comments.

That is a relatively clean image, i dont have any that you can view on the www, I dont post anything over 100kb, this is just a bit over that. did you down load it to your computer?

I usually try to keep my www files down around 50 kb, but i let this one get larger.

Why would you need one that does not suffer from digital processing? it does fine the way it is here. If you like, i'll sell you a copy of the image and you can view the print for yourself. the original file is a raw image from a d300. . .

Thanks again,

Tony
Posted By: Joe

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/12/08 02:12 AM

Tony,

This is such a beautiful photograph that it's a shame to have the jpg artifacting in the sky and loss of detail in the trees and mountain. That was my only reason for asking.

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/12/08 04:12 AM

agreed!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/12/08 11:49 AM

Tony,
that is one of the best landscape images I've ever seen. I'd be proud to exhibit that one in my studio. Outstanding!

Great composition and the lighting is really amazing.

Great work.

Jim
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/12/08 12:20 PM

Now I'm really depressed! Great shot Tony and it makes me even sadder that I won't be able to get back up there this you.

The cold weather seems to be making it's way down to us in nothern Utah also. Frost 3 mornings this week and I drove through a snowstorm yesterday on the way to work.

Thanks for sharing the shot, you've made my day!
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/12/08 01:44 PM

Tony....AWESOME image....getting up early is the stuff....eh?

Roman

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/12/08 02:53 PM

I'm pleased that you people like the shot. I must say that over the course of the last 8 years, i'v shot that mountain and that location 100 times and this one has to be the best of the bunch.

Quick story about the shot, (I feel stupid about this, but I'll tell it anyhow) as I was headed up the two med road to shoot the lake (it was my destination), I arrived to the lake a couple minutes late as I soon learned. I turned to check the light as the the sky above and behind me started to glow, the clouds were turning deep orange and the sky just went creamy, at that time I was only outside my truck getting my gear ready thinking I had a few more minutes; I glanced over at a mountain to the south of me and it to was glowing now I was it trouble, or so I thought.

I hit high gear, jetted from the truck, gear falling out of my bag (I dropped a battery, my remote trigger, a lens cap, a large lee 2 stop ND grad and who knows what else) and I'm sure I looked like a fool, lucky for me no one was watching, and ran as fast I could with a tripod and two cameras and bag, hanging off me. I even left the coat and gloves knowing that there would be no time to worry about getting cold.

I picked the first place along the lake that would allow me access and where I could get around the bush, I poked through it, opened the tripd legs and plopped it down in the water, feet wet and all!

While I was late by a minute or two, the fact that I had seen the sky come and go like this before made me move as fast as possible knowing that I had only seconds before it went away. The whole event lasted about 5 minutes then it was all over just as fast as it arrived. . .

I took few deep breaths and let out a hoot that I'm sure woke the ranger and a few tourists in the campground. I was so happy I just jumped up and clicked my heals together like I was Mr. Bojangles. . . I then gathered up my gear and just went home. . .

Take care and happy shooting. . .

Tony
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/13/08 02:35 AM

Thanks for sharing this! I really needed to know others have suffered for their art.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/14/08 01:57 PM

Nothing to feel stupid about the story, Tony. It actually provides a very valuable lesson. Having said that, wonderful shot. It also provides a second lesson - the value of hitting the same spots over and over again. It is why I keep hitting Grand Teton NP. I have been going for over 10 years and people keep asking why I keep going to the same place and photographing the same things. :P LOL, I just not gotten what I wanted yet. That is not to say it is all crap, just that sometimes you really can still get a 1 in a million lifetime shot that no one else has of a certain subject. I have a few of those here in Manhattan of the skyline that I truly believe I have never seen replicated before. That is a rare thing.

James
Posted By: pawprintz

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/15/08 02:55 PM

amazing!! beautiful image

liz
Posted By: Ronn Stacy

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/20/08 05:30 PM

Very nice !
Posted By: Durwood Edwards

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 06/22/08 11:06 AM

Great shot and a great story! I suppose most of us have a tale similar to this one and many did not end up as fortunately as yours!

BEAUTIFUL!
Posted By: Rocky

Re: Stunning Glacier Park Image - 08/01/08 03:44 AM

great shot! looks almost like a painting!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum