The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Chief Mountain - the north face GNP

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/24/08 12:53 PM

Been wondering around a bit waiting for the next bloom, and decided to head north. On my way I captured this shot of Chief Mountain. Later, I processed it in Light Room. . .

Attached picture 16127-DSC_3375-Edit-BW-chief-mtn.jpg
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/24/08 01:20 PM

Stunning Black and White Tony. A gorgeous sky that seems to dwarf the mountain. Wish there was a bit more detail in the large white cloud. Also like calling it a light room.

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/24/08 11:11 PM

Hey peggy, thanks for the comments, I will take a look at the original file and see what's there, I think youre 100% right though! I'm glad you took the time to write!

Thanks,

Tony
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/25/08 12:23 AM

Very interesting to look at. I scrolled up a bit to simulate a pano crop just below the big white cloud. I liked it a lot that way.
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/25/08 02:25 AM

Tony, another beautiful and powerful image. Maybe in black and white it should be labeled "Kings Peak" or "Tower Mountain"? I have to ask, what do you do up there? Are you like a park ranger? I went and poked around your blog. Very cool! I have always dreamed of living in Montana!
Posted By: Don Edwards

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/25/08 11:26 AM

another stunning image Tony
hope to be half as godd as you someday

don

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/25/08 12:00 PM

Thanks people for the complements. I did consider the crop mentioned by wally, it's a great idea.

What I do up here is, (http://www.tonybynum.com/gallery/4673015_gf5rX) I'm a photographer (portraits, landscapes, wildlife) and put in a few hours a week as a environmental scientist consultant, and if wally reads this again, in the past, I put some time in around the "triangle" for the EPA at RTP . . .

The reason for the title, is because that is the north face of "chief mountain," a very powerful and highly respected place of the blackfeet nation. It is not often photographed from this angle in fact most see it like this.

Attached picture 16140-Chief-mtn-pan-2-copy-2-emai.jpg

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/25/08 12:10 PM

Very cool Tony. I bet it's changed significantly since you were here. We moved here about 14 years ago from upstate NY (Syracuse) and the change has been incredible. I moved here with work, and if you spent time around RTP, the largest employer out there is who I work for. I now have 20 years with them so maybe 10 years from now I can retire and move up your way.
If you ever need someone to hold a reflector on the shaded side of one of those mountains, just give me a hollar! :-)

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/26/08 01:36 AM

By the way Tony, you probably know this but Chief Mountain was actually named Kings Peak and then Tower Mountain before it was named Chief Mountain. I'm a marketing guy. When I saw the shot I started researching.......... I have a habit of googling just about everything that hit's my brain. It's in my blood.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/26/08 11:19 AM

Hey Tony....excellent location....and beautiful conditions! I assume you were shooting RAW....is there any way to recover data in the blown white cloud? When you slid the exposure down....does the data come back or is it totally gone? I only ask that is because it becomes the subject in the composition as the eye is always drawn to the brightest part of a composition, and the location is much to lovely to compete with the bright spot. :~)

If it is, I would suggest a crop to fix it like Jim suggested. (and I am not a fan of cropping...lol)

If there is anything you can do to get just a tad of detail in the forest below the mountain as well I think it would go a long way....not much detail mind you...you dont want to draw the eye away from the mountain....but a bit more would help.....the shot is worth the little bit of extra time in PP to make it sing....VERY well done.

Roman

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/26/08 12:58 PM

Thanks for the comments, I’ll go back and work the shot a bit roman, thanks for the help.

As for the name of the mountain,

"By the way Tony, you probably know this but Chief Mountain was actually named Kings Peak and then Tower Mountain before it was named Chief Mountain."

That I think is one person’s perspective, mainly the perspective of the people who know what is printed on the internet, no offense, I always teach to my environmental science class at the collage that we have to be very skeptical of all that we read on the internet. In many cases the information is not wrong; it's just presented from one point of view and many times it is limited to the knowledge of the people publishing it.

To say that the mountain was call tower and king before is was chief says that one must overlook the history of the people who first were here.

Kings peek I think wound up in Utah, and Tower Mountain was the name given it by Lewis and Clark. Naming is always confusing and depending on who you ask you get different stories. The Mountain has always been Chief Mountain to the people of this area.

In my family, the Blackfeet side, the mountain has always been referred to as, "the mountain of the chief," it's talked about in the ceremonies and the told in the stories that it is "chief mountain."

I've never been told any other name. I'm not arguing with you, or doubting you, non Indians, and in this case, non Blackfeet have had this or that name for all kinds of things including mountains, but not here on the reservation and certainly not with the Blackfeet people.

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/26/08 01:51 PM

You know I hadn't really thought of this the way you stated it. I think you have an excellent point and I hope that you were not offended by my ignorance on the topic. I can absolutely see the point that you are making. Regardless of what some called this mountain at some point in time, the Blackfeet people have always, and alway will know this as the Mountain of the Chief! I absolutely get it and agree.

By the way, believe me, if anyone understands the issue of "don't believe everything published on the web" it's me. I preach it almost daily in my professional life.....

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/26/08 04:05 PM

wally, I take ZERO offense to your post, I mean that sincerely. I'm just glad youre willing to speak up and talk about issues here on this board, thanks for your interest and I hope you stick around!

Tony

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/26/08 07:49 PM

Thanks! By the way, I'm Bob. Wally is my Dachshund, my best little buddy and I'm his "pop", hence Wallyspop...
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Chief Mountain - the north face GNP - 06/29/08 12:10 PM

Hey Guys,

Really good thread. It is nice to see some excellent content in addition to a very good photo. Tony, I look forward to seeing your repost.

Cheers
James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum