The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Best route through Yellowstone

Posted By: Dee Dee

Best route through Yellowstone - 09/10/08 06:40 PM

I am going to be in Yellowstone on Sept 26. We only have 1 day and my main goal is getting photos of backgrounds for my wildlife paintings, but of course would also love to get some animals in those backgrounds, in the photos! I am hoping the elk will be in rut?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best route to take for a 1 day drive, given there will be much stopping and photo taking, with the most scenic backgrounds and chances of seeing elk and other wildlife? Also less likely to have snow! I hear it could snow there in spots this time of year..?
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/10/08 11:36 PM

through west yellowstone up the madison river. . .

it's been snowing out here for a couple weeks now. it melts off but were getting snow in the high country on a daily basis. It will be cold then and you will see lots of photographers. . .

Good luck, and check out yellowstone.net, the forums there are dedicated to the park, lost of great info there. . .

Tony

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/11/08 03:34 AM

Thanks Tony! If we are coming from Bozeman, would we be taking the north entrance? I looked up Madison river, looks like a great area. I was wondering if we did go in the north entrance, if we'd have time to do just the smaller 70 mile loop or if there was somewhere off that loop worth the time to go to. Are there any places in that upper loop with exceptional scenery or more likely to see certain animals? I would like to get some elk if they will still be in rut then and bison, etc. I am doing a wildlife shoot the 3 days previous with all predators so would like to find some hooved critters in Yellowstone...how about sheep or goats, is there a good rocky spot?
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/11/08 04:01 AM

here's a good resource for you: http://www.maxwaugh.com/yellowstone/map.php

there are all the species in that loop/area you discuss. The reason I say the madison out of west yellowstone is because you mention elk as your goal. this area has lots of elk and you will be able to find them and get quite close. You will see elk from the north but you man not be able to get very close to them. . .
Posted By: jamesdak

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/12/08 01:52 PM

Tony,

As usual you are a great help. I'm heading up there for a few days on the 18th and the map is an awesome resource, thanks!

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/13/08 02:16 AM

Hey Dee Dee,

Congratulations on the upcoming trip. I will also be in Yellowstone (actually, Jackson at that point) on September 26th (I am flying in on the 25th). There are many places to photograph. Tony's map is exhaustive and very helpful. You may also want to come down to the Teton's. For example, Mormon Row, one of the perennial favorites, is the place they filmed the movie, "Shane." Schwabacher's landing is also a beautiful, classic place to view the Tetons, and occasionally there are moose there. The area around Mt. Moran also has tons of places to view wildlife (mostly elk, moose, coyote and some boids)that has remarkable vistas.

Cheers
James

Cheers
James
Posted By: Randy T

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/20/08 10:19 PM

I was in the Tetons yesterday and my 1st stop was at the Mormon Barns.

Randy T

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/21/08 01:24 AM

Hey Randy,

Thanks for sharing. I am heading up next week. I am jealous that you are getting the full moon in the morning. I expect that by the time I get out there it will be gone. Oh well.

James

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/25/08 12:45 PM

Hey Guys,

I am getting on a plane in a couple of hours for Jackson Hole. I am VERY excited. I will touch base periodically to see how things are going. Looks like I lucked out with the flight as the weather tomorrow (the day I was originally supposed to fly out) looks pretty horrid and they are already expecting delays.

Cheers
James

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 09/27/08 08:54 PM

Hey Guys,

Got here on Thursday evening, unfortunately, I missed sunset. Yesterday was great though. After a rather pedestrian sunrise at Oxbow bend, we had the opportunity to see a rather large bull moose crossing the stream. I got some nice shots that I will share when I get back to the City.

I also saw a great horned owl for the first time ever. It was getting dark, and the images are noisy (taken mostly at 1600), but I believe usable - and did I mention that it was a first for me?????? LOL. What a cool experience seeing him jump off that tree and loop around.

This morning I was at Schwabacher's....I got there only 20 minutes before sunrise and the 'prime spots' were all taken. LOL, it was another not so amazing sun rise though, so I was not too disappointed. I will go there again later this week.

James

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 10/09/08 01:53 AM

That was a great map Tony I took the info with me but didn't have time to post a thank you before we left.

James...I can't believe it! That was the day we were there!! Crud! I wish I had checked this later, I would have loved to met up and said hi. We probably passed each other. Did you see the group of people late evening pulled over to watch the wolves? I got some shots with 600 mm but still heavy crop and dark but neat to see real wild wolves. Sounds like you had a very successful trip can't wait to see what you got.

I didn't get a thing....but I only had part of an afternoon there. We were only halfway thru the loop when it got dark out LOL. I would have loved to gone to the tetons, that is a gorgeous shot Randy!! But I was mainly there for 4 days of shooting trained animals, with Animals of Montana, which I know is frowned upon with photographers a lot but my goal was getting images to paint from only so I was over the moon with the shots we got. I can't wait to start painting I have to finish several commissions first.

Ah I just reread your post sounds like you were in Jackson on the 26th so we wouldn't have crossed. I just found out another artist friend of mine was in Yellowstone the 26th as well. Next time I will put the word out better!

Thanks again for the info before we left I wish we had a couple more days to poke around there. I was hoping to get some rutting elk to paint.

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 10/09/08 12:35 PM

Hi Dee Dee,

I was surprised by the number of folks that I saw out there who were doing exactly as you described going to get shots so that they could paint them later. THere were at least two folks I met in the Gros Ventre Campgrounds who were doing this.

This trip was an interesting one for several reasons. We spent very little time in Yellowstone this trip. I only ventured up there twice. THere was just so much to shoot in the Tetons. The moose were amazing...and the foliage was out of this world.

James

Re: Best route through Yellowstone - 10/09/08 08:19 PM

I am going to have to go to the Tetons the next time. It sounds beautiful. Yes I know a lot of artists too who go this time of year for painting reference. I have a friend from England who just went there for the same reason. I think getting the ref is half the fun!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum