The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Yellowstone

Posted By: Kent Williams

Yellowstone - 09/14/08 09:32 PM

Four years ago end of Sept. we went to Yellowstone National Park. We got a lot of nice Pics. This is one I have always liked. It is in Firehole canyon on the firehole river. Comments Welcome.

Posted By: dave_lines

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 03:33 AM

I like the blur of the water but the whole pic looks very dark to me,, DAve

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 01:17 PM

It was well after sunset when I took this. I used the raw file to try an HDR image. I tried pushing the exposure and didn't like the look. Here is the original.

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 03:35 PM

I played with this a bit, if you want,, will post it here, DAve
Posted By: glamson

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 05:10 PM

Quote:

It was well after sunset when I took this. I used the raw file to try an HDR image. I tried pushing the exposure and didn't like the look. Here is the original.

Kent,

I thought I'd take a whack at it if you don't mind. In my mind there a two things that are essential for these waterfall motion shots to work. I like the water to be silky with a littel glow and the surrounding solid land should be sharp to accentuate the blur of the water. Unlike you, I don't really know what the original scene really looked like, but this is what I would have liked it to look like.

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 08:41 PM

It was so dark down there at the time we were there, things were almost devoid of color so putting blue into the water didn’t work for me. The falls looked very white. Lots of water coming down the river and very little ambient light. I liked the fact that it was low light so I could use long shutter speeds to get the soft look in the water.

Here is a pic from a little farther down stream. This is very much what it looked like.

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 08:42 PM

Sure, Dave post it if you like. Nice to see what others would do with it.

Re: Yellowstone - 09/15/08 10:10 PM

heres my attempt to adjust this,, opened in ACR, adj exposure and fill light and clarity, then adj levels in CS3. DAve

Re: Yellowstone - 09/17/08 02:56 AM

Nice job Dave.
I actually have many versions of this photo. That is one of the things I like about shooting RAW files. You can make your picture look any way you want.

The interesting thing about art is everyone has his or her own taste. Some of my photos I didn’t think were worth the ink to print sold within a couple days. My family has no problem telling me what they think of my photos. Some I would have never considered, they loved.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum