The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Death Valley with Steve Kossack!

Posted By: James Morrissey

Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 09/25/08 02:01 AM

Hey Everyone,

I bit the bullet and decided to head out with Steve Kossack to Death Valley in the middle of November (the 12th to 18th). I am VERY excited!! It will be my third trip to a national park in the course of 4 months...

For folks who might be interested in joining (no, this is NOT paid advertising), I think he has some space available still. I learned a ton during his workshop that I took a couple of years ago, and honestly, I always said I would do it again. :P

http://www.stevekossack.com/workshops/death_Valley_fall.htm

Cheers
James

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 10/28/08 02:59 PM

Hey Guys,

I am heading out in just over 2 weeks. I am getting very excited about the trip. I am flying out the night before (the 11th) and staying at the Stratosphere. $44 including all taxes...not bad. I will be meeting with Steve and his group at 1 PM.

Outside of the Valley of Fire, which I have done on a couple of occasions, does anyone have thoughts about a sunrise location that is convenient enough to only be an hour or so out of Las Vegas?

James

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/10/08 12:57 AM

Hey All,

Welp, it is getting a bit close. I am leaving in 48 hours - and I just DON'T feel prepared. I have been trying to keep up with my photo work, and I just can't. I have done 24 pet portraits in the last two weeks in addition to two bar/bat mitzvahs. I am just swamped.

Having said that, I look forward to getting out to California for a week. It will be different, I think, from past trips because the days will be so short.

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/10/08 06:15 AM

James:

Hope you have a great time. Relax and enjoy it. You certainly deserve it. Right?

Jim

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/11/08 03:15 PM

LOL, I would like to think so. There is so much to do and so little time. As I mentioned earlier, I feel very unprepared for this trip. Having said that, I am packed and ready to go. I will be leaving at around 2:30 PM. Hopefully the Internet connection will still be functioning at Stovepipe (behind the office). If not, well, it will be a silent week from me. :P

James

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/13/08 03:21 AM

Tonight was our first sunset in Death Valley! It is good to be back. We were out on the dunes this evening by Stovepipe Wells. I am a bit wiped out, and more than a bit jet-lagged..but, LOL, I am about to go do some night shots. :P

James
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/13/08 03:18 PM

Hang in there james, you'll get enough sleep when your dead!

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/13/08 05:25 PM

LOL, you don't say!! This morning we were up at out at the Dunes at 5:20 AM. I wish that the laptop had CO 4.5 on it, I would share some of the photos that I took. It was a beautiful morning. We are heading up to Rhyolite Ghost Town in a bit, followed by Titus Canyon and ending up at Dante's View this evening. It is going to be a full day.

James
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/14/08 03:00 AM

5:20?!? Bout time you dragged your butt out of bed at a respectable time!!!! :~)

Rest, take a nap during harsh light hours....and recharge and hit it again during golden hours....

Get some awesome shots!!!

Roman

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/15/08 03:42 AM

LOL, there is nothing respectable about 5:20 AM. :P Today we were up at 5:10, and tomorrow 5 AM. I am definitely a bit tuckered. Today, we did Dante's View for sunrise, The Devil's Golf Course/Bad Water/Artist's Pallate for mid-day, and Agueberry for Sunset.

Tomorrow, it is a bit easier...Agueberry Point for sunrise and the Race Track for sunset. Last time I did the Race Track, in April, Chanthee got straifed (sp) by an F-18. I wonder what will happen this time.... :P LOL. OK. Maybe she did not get straifed (SP)...but the guy was definitely hot-dogging it.

James

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/16/08 09:45 PM

OK. I am back at the airport. The trick is now that I have to figure out what to do. :P I had planned on going to the Valley of Fire, then decided to hit the airport to see if I could get an earlier flight. I was told by the rep at Delta that I could "Ask the machine, but that all flights were sold out." I replied, "Really?? I can ask the machine???" Sigh.

Anyway, there is no way out until midnight tonight, when I was initially planning on leaving. So, I guess I am heading out back to the Valley of Fire after all. Not bad, don't get me wrong. LOL, I am just t-i-r-e-d. I feel bad because someone had wanted to come with me, and I bailed, hoping to be able to get home.

Anyway, assuming I get back at a reasonable hour, I may even do a show. A lot of time to fill until midnight....

James
Posted By: daveman

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/17/08 03:33 AM

OK James,

You know that as soon as you get home you need to get PS out, process those shots and show them to us!!!

Re: Death Valley with Steve Kossack! - 11/18/08 01:19 PM

Thanks, Dave. It has been exhausting. I arrived at 9:30 AM yesterday morning. I have a deadline for this weekend, so I immediately started working on a proof set that I owe. The shots from DV will be started next week. LOL, I was only able to do a couple of hours worth of work. I wound up crashing for 4 or 5 hours. I woke up perfectly fine this morning though, so I am heading in the right direction.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum