The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Zion

Posted By: daveman

Zion - 05/30/09 11:10 PM

I was fortunate enough to spend last weekend in Zion, so thought I would post some shots. I always welcome constructive criticism to help me improve.

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Zion - 05/31/09 11:29 PM

Hey Dave,

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great time. How much were you able to cover over the course of the weekend?

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Zion - 06/03/09 12:25 AM

Hi Dave:

It has been a while. Zion is one of my wife's favorite places & I must admit, it is starting to grow on me too.

The last two time we were there we ran across a Bighorn Sheep posing on a rock outcropping above the road. The first time, I didn't have enough reach with my old P&S. The last time, I had enough camera & lens, but came down with a bad case of "buck fever". Third time's a charm, I hope.

Jim

Re: Zion - 06/03/09 02:11 AM

Jim and James,

Zion is such a great place. We were planning to hike through the Narrows, but there was rain earlier that week, so the water was too high and that trail / canyon was closed. We were only there one full day, but enjoyed it nevertheless.

Take care.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Zion - 06/03/09 01:39 PM

Hey Dave, nice shots! Looks like you had quite a nice time out there.

Question about the one with the tree trunks in the foreground. The colors look a bit strange, like you used a flash to get the trees neutral and the background has an almost dark bluish kind of feel.

Roman

Re: Zion - 06/04/09 12:11 AM

Roman,

I did not use a flash, but I wanted to lighten up the trees to create some separation from the BG, so brought in two exposures from the raw file, and masked between the FG and BG. I wonder if that caused what you see? Maybe a WB problem? I must have not been very graceful with my masking for you to notice it. I will play with the WB and relook at it.

I wish it would not have been as windy as it was so the leaves would have been sharper.

We enjoyed the trip - lots of fun and some great hiking there.

I am, however, frustrated because while I can seem to more consistently now get shots that are pretty good ... I cannot seem to pull it up to the "great" realm - even when I am at Zion..

I just have to get out there and practice more... or buy my wife some diamonds so I can go to your workshop!
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Zion - 06/20/09 05:18 AM

Number one has a perfect " face shape " in the reflection of the pool.... cool! The rest are too dark for me but would be good in the golden hour
Posted By: Tyler

Re: Zion - 06/23/09 07:19 AM

Hahah nice catch Marty. I didn't notice it till you said something but wow, that is cool in a creepy sort of way.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum