The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Glacier Flowers/Wildlife

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/05/05 03:40 PM

It's a great time to come out and shoot the park. It will only improve over the next month. Here are a couple of examples from this weekend. . .

Finalshot

Attached picture 293-loganpass202beargrassclementsmtnemail.jpg
Posted By: Loopman

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/09/05 06:25 AM

WOW! That is a nice shot.

Lou

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/13/05 04:52 PM

Well, it's getting HOT - the temperature. The flowers are growing very quickly. Get to the Park for some of the best opportunites in a decade! I did catch the following shot just after a thunder boomer in the Two Medicine Valley! Enjoy...

Finalshot

Attached picture 319-twomedicinerainbow006cropemail.jpg
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/14/05 04:24 AM

Tony,

You are making me jealous. That rainbow is GREAT.

-JM

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/29/05 08:13 PM

Well, it's very hot now, arround 90 or so and that's hot for this part of the country.

The bear grass is all about gone for another 5 or 6 years. There are a few places where you can find some but for the most part it's done arround Logan Pass.

The alpine flowers are really starting to bloom. It will be about a week before it's in full bloom.

Attached is a recent photo. Later, Finalshot

Attached picture 344-logan019-copy-edit-email.jpg

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/29/05 08:18 PM

Oh yea, if this update it worth anything to you, let me know and I'll keep doing it. If its a not worth your time, I'll retire.

Finalshot
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/31/05 04:12 PM

Hey Tony,

I know that I like seeing your posts. However, I cannot speak for others. I know that they are being consistently read (currently 50 reads).

I wish that there were other folks who lived in/near other parks as well who could give the same updates. I personally think that it is a very valuable service.

Do you see wildlife as well?

-JM

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 07/31/05 05:47 PM

I find these to be great and hope they continue. I
particularly like it when Final Shot adds some of his photographs to his updates. It is all in the pics, I say.

Lou

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 08/03/05 05:46 PM

Yes, I see wildlife all the time griz-bears, moose, mule/whitetail deer, elk, sheep, and goats. It's not yellowstone, but that's okay because youre not going to wonder among goats and bighorn sheep in yellowstone like you can in glacier and it's a lot easier to find grizzly's in glacier.

Attached picture 358-loganpass156goatmtnsemail.jpg

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 08/07/05 06:59 PM

Finalshot,

Nice shot. This may be an odd question, but is that a sheep or a goat? How habituated are the wildlife to humans?

Thanks
Lou

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 08/10/05 02:57 PM

it is a mountain goat. Sheep are the ones with the big curl - think of the rams foot ball team logo.

the sheep and goats are all very habituated to humans. It some cases too much. They will almost let you touch them and somtimes they will ram you or your car if you get to close. They are very fast when they want to be. I never approach them and always shoot at least 300mm if not more.

Tony

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 08/14/05 11:25 AM

Well, the flower season is just about over. Glacier Park saw it's first freeze and snow fall of the summer. There still are great shooting opportunities, and the grass still is green the animals should become more active as the heat subsides.

Take care, Finalshot

Attached picture 388-logan009-crop-email.jpg

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 08/14/05 04:45 PM

"Glacier Park saw it's first freeze and snow fall of the summer"

I find that to be amazing. It is still mid August. What is it like there for you in the winter?

Lou

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 08/15/05 02:52 PM

Damn cold! 40 below is common.

In a normal 5 year cycle we will see snow at least once per month in any given month. two years ago we had 5 feet in june, and last year it snowed four inches in mid July. You must always be ready for bad weahter, no one puts there snow shovel away. . .

Tony
Posted By: mmoor

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 09/05/06 02:52 PM

Tony I know this is an old post but I thought that shot was really great. Can you tell me where it is taken? If I have time I would like to see it.

Thanks

Matt

Re: Glacier Flowers/Wildlife - 09/05/06 03:44 PM

that shot was taken in 2005 right below logan mountain looking west up reynolds creek. That's logan pass on the right.

The bear grass wont be as prolific for at least onother 3 years, and could even be more depending on the conditions. That said, every spring ther are few that bloom, but usually not many. You have to catch about every 5th year to get good bear grass. . .
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum