The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

An 'Average' Day In Cades Cove

Posted By: RichardR

An 'Average' Day In Cades Cove - 04/28/06 02:10 PM

Cades Cove in the Smoky Mountains is my favorite stomping ground and each trip brings something special, whether wildlife, scenery, or different lighting or weather conditions. Last Sunday was no exception as my shooting buddy and I spent a pleasant morning there. These were all taken between about 7:00 and 10:00 AM.

First sight that greeted us as the sun was coming over the mountains was the horse herd having breakfast before the day's work carrying visitors on trail rides began:

The sunlight was filtering through the trees at a secluded forest pond:

A Coyote was on the prowl, looking for some breakfast:

This buck with his new knobby antlers tried his hand at the high jump:

A couple of Toms were struttin' around, looking for some turkey babes!

The light was just right around 9:30 at Carter Shields' 1860's log cabin. He was a Civil War Veteran, wounded at the Battle of Shiloh, built this cabin, and spent the rest of his life there.

All shot with Nikon D70/70-200VR/1.7x TC except the cabin was with the 18-70DX lens.

Did I say "An Average Day"? It was a wonderful day to be alive and enjoy the wildlife and scenery in that special place.

Regards,

Dick:)
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: An 'Average' Day In Cades Cove - 04/28/06 05:34 PM

Hey Richard,

Thanks for sharing these. You sure got that buck jumping over the fence. Pretty awesome. I also like the first photo of the horses in the valley.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum