The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

YSNP - A Tree

Posted By: James Morrissey

YSNP - A Tree - 05/05/06 05:00 AM

I took this on my last trip to Yellowstone. I was out digging around on the edge of the Gibbon River. No landmarks anyone would recognize. Just a tree.

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: YSNP - A Tree - 05/05/06 02:55 PM

James, here's another crop. I like your shot, but how do you think it looks with a tighter crop? Be honest! I prefer tight crops. That’s my preference, it’s not necessarily right, it’s what I prefer. So, I’m not suggesting your shot is wrong or bad, I’m only presenting another view for you to consider.

I try a lot harder now to really focus on the subject or the purpose of the photograph before I snap it. Then I isolate that feeling TTL by getting closer for intimacy or stepping back if I want a feeling of space or loneliness. I think it’s important, especially for patterns or abstracts to really isolate the subject, other wise you give the observer a chance to wonder. . . If wondering is the point so be it but then you have to work equally as hard to keep them from focusing on a specific point and well, just wonder. . . In any event, shots should be composed and created before the shutter is released. . .

Take care,

Attached picture 3331-_MG_1584_Tree_w.jpg
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: YSNP - A Tree - 05/07/06 03:40 PM

Hey Tony,

Yup. I definitely like it better. You got rid of the extraneous data and really reduced the image to what I think I initially intended.

Thanks!
James
Posted By: JeffDinPA

Re: YSNP - A Tree - 05/07/06 04:56 PM

It is amazing how differently that looks and for the better. Interesting how it came back to the 3:2 Ratio.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum