The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Mammoth Sunrise

Posted By: James Morrissey

Mammoth Sunrise - 05/12/06 04:18 AM

Hey Folks,

I am NOT sure if this photo works or not...it was in my back-catalog of not published images. It is definitely interesting to me - though I am not sure how I like the sun in it.

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 05/12/06 04:28 AM

hey james, i think it's a nice shot, but I like this crop better. . . It's not a standard size as you can tell, but it focuses on the subject a bit more. I'd like to see more a little more on the left but that funky cloud caused me to crop a little tighter. I also took the lens flair out of the trees. . .

Attached picture 3526-CRW_3568_Mammoth_edit.jpg

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 05/12/06 04:32 AM

Hey Tony,

I cropped the image the way that you have it in a 2x format...but my wife and I agreed that we liked more of the sun in the photo. It is really a tough shot. I love the trees being absorbed by the clouds and sun, however, it is a busy composition.

James
Posted By: JeffDinPA

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 05/12/06 04:54 PM

I am kind of with Tony here. I like the tree and the way the fog is rolling through the tree, but the lack of color and detail in the sun and sky don't do much for me.
Posted By: Sander Meurs

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 05/16/06 09:45 AM

Yes I also agree with Tony's crop, it looks better. The sharp contrast in the clouds in the original draws my eyes to the sky while it should be on the cloud envelopped trees.
Posted By: philmon

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 07/19/06 01:22 PM

I dunno -- I think the detail/color in the sky sets a mood consistent with the bare trees.

Between the two (crop and no crop) I like the original better, I think. That's mostly because in the crop, my eye either wants to see more of the sun, or none of it. The crop does do a better job as far as composition if we're just focusing on the trees, but there's more going on here in this scene and it's not just about the trees.

With the original, you get kind of a "Yin-Yang" swirl with the sky going from the top right going down to the left side and hooking back over to the right at the bottom, like a big "6". It is somewhat busy, but not in a bad way. I don't think it's too much. The whole thing pulls me in. I'd hang it on my wall.

-P
Posted By: Chris_A

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 07/20/06 03:34 PM

I'm going to have to go against the grain and say I like it as-posted - it's very dramatic for me with more visible in the frame.

Re: Mammoth Sunrise - 07/21/06 10:56 AM

LOL. You guys are making this difficult for me. It is a frustrating photo for me because I really like some of the elements, but I dislike others. When I crop it, I lose some of the things I like...and I am still in the same situation.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum