The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Travel Guides for Photographers (very interesting)

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Travel Guides for Photographers (very interesting) - 05/13/06 03:03 PM

Hey, check out this website, it has photo guides for a number of really great places. I've never read one, but they look like they would get you on the right track, maybe reduce some scouting time, and fuel costs, especially if it's youre first time to the location.

http://www.phototravel.com/index.html

You will find a list of locations that have published guides on the left side of the page. Check it out.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Travel Guides for Photographers (very interesting) - 05/13/06 03:54 PM

Nothing on Alaska that I could find.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Travel Guides for Photographers (very interest - 05/14/06 01:56 PM

David, I am going to Alaska on a cruise a week from today. I don't want to spend a ton of money on day trips. I am spending enough on a babysitter for the week!!

What are the temperatures like and are there any good excursions for photography we can do ourselves off the ship.

We are on Norwegian cruiselines going up the inner passageway(and if I said that wrong I apologize, I need to get my itineary out)
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Travel Guides for Photographers (very interest - 05/14/06 03:17 PM

Congrats on the Alaskan Cruise. The part of Alaska you will be going through, I have never been there. It is several hundreds of miles to the Southeast from where I live. For the weather, try here Weather
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: Travel Guides for Photographers (very interest - 06/04/06 04:15 AM

I have ordered a few of these, (Guides)- and will share my thoughts after I have reviewed them-
Marty Everhard

Re: Travel Guides for Photographers (very interest - 06/07/06 04:17 AM

I received the half dozen or so guides I ordered within 48 hours of my online order. 11.5 x 8 spiral bound notebooks, short but to the point. I read several , including one concentrating on an area in Utah I had just been to. I must say I like the guides, but they should definitly be supplemented by more detailed hiking guides and in some cases topographic maps. There are no photos at all in these versions of the guides, but some scanty maps. They do seem to cover some less known spots, and the time of day/ photo suggestions seemed appropriate to me. I have other guides I would rate higher, but they are a nice supplement to the other guides etc I have on the areas nearby to me. Too much info is better than too little, especially in remote desert areas such as the Southwest. I do not regret the purchase,
about a c note for half dozen area specific pamphlets, 30-40 pages each.
Marty Everhard
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Travel Guides for Photographers (very interest - 06/07/06 04:21 AM

thanks for the report

Footnote - 06/22/06 12:24 AM

I have been reading Laurent Martes guides to the Southwest, I would have to say the best I have read to date on the area. And I have been reading them all.............
Posted By: Dan

Travel Guides for Photographers - 01/06/07 02:45 PM

I've used one or two of these (plus downloaded some free partial versions that the web site offers) and find them very helpful for someone who has never visited a particular location before.

I've ordered the ones for Yellowstone and Grand Teton. I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

Dan
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum