The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Fuel Costs and Vacationing

Posted By: James Morrissey

Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/08/05 12:55 AM

Hey,

I am curious about how the cost of fuel has affected people's vacation plans - if any...particularly driving vacations.

My wife and I are debating the purchase of an Escape Hybrid as we want the space but want to see if we can trim our fuel bills a bit (I currently average about 25 mpg in my Volkwagen Golf).

-JM
Posted By: Loopman

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/10/05 09:29 PM

It really has not affected my driving patterns in any way. I wish that I had a more efficient car now, and if prices continue to stay high I may consider trading. I have to drive though so I cannot say that it has affected me beyond my wallet.

Lou
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/11/05 01:21 PM

Fuel prices are killing me. However, luckely I live in within 45 miles of 90% of my photographic subjects. However, I only have been going about 5-6 due to high fuel prices. I have to drive a lot everyday to see my kids so somthing has to give. However, the attached shot was taken less than 2 miles from my house! You got-a love it! I'll post some fall aspens take from my front porch.

Tony

Attached picture 520-bull-elk008-email-bull--bug.jpg
Posted By: Sheebs

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/12/05 09:38 AM

Tony, that is such a cool shot, I'm jealous! You must love listening to the bugling this time of year. We just got back from Yellowstone and the Elk were just starting their rut, I love hearing them call!

Anyway, back to the subject... We are fortunate enough not to spend a lot of time driving. We only have time to take one *big* vacation a year (I only wish we could do it more!!) Our trip to Yellowstone was an expensive trip on gas, but we weren't going to let it slow us down. We got pretty good gas mileage throughout the park as you can only go 45 mph. And the park seemed fairly busy for this time of year. LOTS of motorcyles. I chatted with a lady and she said her and her husband rode in from Michigan on their motorcycle rather than their SUV because of gas costs.

I'm just at the mindset that you need gas no matter how much it costs, but I've put my dream of getting an H3 on hold for now. lol

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/12/05 12:40 PM

Well, you are correct, we do need gas out here. It's a huge state. I average 40,000 miles per year and go through more than one set of tires. I drive a 4x4 because I have to have a truck (it's a toyota). I have noticed a decline in the numbers of people this year. I cant confirm that yet because I haev not seen the numbers. But, I'll be it's down and I'll be gas prices had somthing to do with it.

I know I've cut out all the "extra" trips.

What would you plan to do for work, and where do you plan to live if you pick up and head west?

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/12/05 11:44 PM

"What would you plan to do for work, and where do you plan to live if you pick up and head west?"

Hey Tony, I am not sure if you are sending that note to me or not. Anyway, I am fortunate enough that I have two areas of expertise - one is as a social worker, the other is as a wedding photographer. I have been casing out the area on the last several trips and have been networking with a few of the locals through my affilation with the Digital Wedding Forum (DWF).

While I am not yet ready to make the plunge yet, I am slowly working on developing a business plan. At some point, I will be ready - just not yet. I want to make sure that when I am ready to do this that I am able to do it right. Developing a suitable portfolio is a must for the area. There are some things I still feel are unaccomplished here in NYC also.

My wife is a computer programmer (and is the one who is responsible for putting up and developing this website beyond its packaged shell). I figure that the two of us can eek out a bit more than a living...even with Jackson prices.

-JM
Posted By: RichardR

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/19/05 02:35 AM

Gas price$ have cut into my budget quite a bit as I feed a Chevy Tahoe but I surely do need the room it has to offer, especially for traveling. I do pay attention to unnecessary trips but go where and when I want.

James, we were in Jackson last Summer on the Western Tour and it's a fascinating area! One of the most scenic parts of the country. Downtown Jackson Hole has gotten pretty trendy and pricey since I was there many years ago, though.

Regards,

Dick:)
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/21/05 03:18 AM

Just got an SUV in June, and have found that it works very well for our outings. Gas has gotten to the point though that we both take advantage to the wonderful transit system we have here in the Portland Metro Area. My wife gets a year pass for next to nothing....and a month pass for me costs about the same as a tank of gas...so we drive to the train stop (less than a mile from home) and take the train to work (we both work within a block or two of the train called "MAX") Then we have the savings to take longer trips and weekend outings.....makes for a NICE ecological balance.

Just a simple shot of the Jeep out in a field while I was taking a sunset shot in Central Oregon.

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/21/05 05:24 AM

Nice truck! My friend has been renting a mirano - he has been getting 16.5 mpg on it. Unfortunately, in NJ, where he lives, a car is pretty much a requirement (unless you are coming into the City).

I am hoping to suck the life out of my Golf for a while until we finally purchase something a bit fancier. We have been debating the Toyota Highlander Hybrid - but it is much more expensive than the Ford Esacape Hybrid. I think that we definitely want to go that route....however, there is still a significant premium on the cost of the car as opposed to a pure gas vehicle.

From an environmental standpoint, they are definite winners. However, $3,000 dollars is about 1,000 gallons of gas - which means that you get roughly 16,500 free miles before getting any real cost benefit.

-JM

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/21/05 02:56 PM

Yeah....I looked at the Ford Escape...and it didnt have as robust a 4x4 drivetrain. I knew the Jeep would be worse on gas, but we do have some rugged terrain out here and where I go....and my main intent of buying this was to drive back to where others had to park and hike if no 4x4 or weak 4x4 capabilities got in the way. I have owned a Toyota Land Cruiser as well...so can speak that Toyota does know its 4x4 stuff as well....havent driven the Highlander though...so cant speak for it backwoods prowess. You know your 4x4 abilities best...if you know how to rock crawl....get a more rugged 4x4...you'll find yourself going places you wernt able to in the golf...and GLAD you can drive instead of walk...nothing beats driving right to your camp site vs. packing it all in...if thats doable.

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/23/05 12:11 PM

Nothing beats driven exept walking without the herds of people who drive into remote locations. I'm not bashing on you, dont get me wrong, I'm only pointing out that there are A LOT of things better than driving to places were there should not be roads! For example, being there and not hearing a car or atv. It's getting harder and harder too find peace now a days. It's a shame.

Tony

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/23/05 04:41 PM

I only drive where their are roads or trails....and when I arrive at my location...the Jeep stays put. I do know what you'r talking about...the people who dont care about the environment. And try to create their own roads... I'm middle ground....I think INTELLIGENT use of our outdoors is the proper path.

Roman

Re: Fuel Costs and Vacationing - 09/24/05 04:18 AM

I agree. It really has to all be about balance. What Tony is discussing is a sad reality that people do not seem to want to leave their vehicles. Roadways are also incredibly destructive to wild habitats.

Having said that, I have no idea how to deal with the issue otherwise. Roads are a sad, necessary reality. It has been a recent mantra of mine that most people don't ever get to really understand the wonderful parks system that we have because people do not want to leave their cars - even for a short while. We have become creatures of ultimate convenience.

I think that is one of the things I really liked about the new forum travel logs. They made accessible being so far away from anything else..

-JM
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum