The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano

Posted By: James Morrissey

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/11/07 05:15 AM

This is a three shot pano that I took while in Yellowstone last year. As I recall, the weather was overcast, and it was getting to be later in the afternoon on to evening. This, IMO, is a morning shot, and the next time I go out there, I plan on trying to be there very early - though not necessarilly sunrise.

Anyway, all the panos here gave me the urge to dig through the back catalog to see what I had.

Cheers
James

Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/11/07 02:55 PM

That shot I like, great job James!!!! If you get a chance shoot it as a 8 shot pano next time, one more at the bottom, or the top if there's a cool sky, and 4 along one side or the other moving the river and falls to the center. I like the way the falls and the river lead the eye.

That's my favorite shot of yours and I really like the compositon!
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/11/07 04:47 PM

Lovely image James. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/11/07 07:06 PM

I posted a comment a while back...not sure why it isnt here.

James...this shot is one of your strongest I have seen to date. The tree gives a great foreground component givng the picture depth. The wandering stream leads nicely to the prize....the falls.

Great work!!

Roman

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/12/07 04:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the praise. It is remarkable to me as this shot really was a bit of an after-thought. I have just been so amazed by some of the photos I have seen posted around here that I have wanted to add something.

I am really looking forward to getting up to Death Valley in a week and a half. I will finally have some new stuff to publish. Even better, Chanthee will be joining me for the first time out there. I can't wait to show her the race track.

James
Posted By: RichardR

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/13/07 01:12 AM

Really strong composition of the falls and winding river, James. Nice job!

If your pictures from this year's trip to Death Valley are anything like last year's, we're in for a photographic treat when you return.

Did you keep the Olympus E-330? The new E-510 sounds like a great new cam for the Oly users.

Best regards,

Dick:)

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 03/13/07 02:31 AM

Hi Dick,

No, the Olympus was a loner from Oly. I was very pleased with it over-all. The ergonimcs of the camera were very well thought out, with simple controls. The optics were excellent, and the images were very clean and rich. I had much less work out of camera with them than I did with the Canon shots.

The biggest problems I had were my own problems. Specifically, I should have asked for a telephoto lens. When I said 'give me something wide' I wound up with three wide angle lenses. The 7-14, which was awesome, the 11-22 which wound up hardly used, and the 14-54. I find that I go back and forth between very wide and very tight.

James
Posted By: Dale Forrest

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 04/23/07 04:42 AM

Hi James

Love that shot.

I didn't think about making mine a pano, but next trip I will be planning some like that.

I think I may have been in the same area that you took that shot.

This was my shot with a 24mm nikkor manual lens on my D200

Dale

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 04/23/07 04:36 PM

Hi Dale,

This is a beautiful photograph. I particularly like the addition of the snow on the outlying trees. It adds a real element of dimension to the photograph. May I ask when this was taken?

James
Posted By: Dale Forrest

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 04/23/07 10:46 PM

Hi James,

I took this one in October this year around the 16th. I stay in West Yellowstone and travel the loop each day to search for images. I was at this site the day before but it hadn't snowed yet. It snowed that night, so I returned and was delighted to see this. Hope I didn't make the image too large for the forum. I can downsize it if so, since I have it posted on my server instead of the forum.

I just joined the forum last week and have gotten a lot of information by browsing etc.

Thanks
Dale

Re: Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - Small Pano - 04/24/07 07:03 PM

Hey Dale,

Don't worry about the size of the image. It comes out fine - though when one image is significantly larger than the other, it creates the need to scroll a bit. Honestly, no big deal.

Anyway, glad to have you aboard. Thanks for sharing!

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum