The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Hello

Posted By: redlazer

Hello - 04/21/11 07:07 PM

Hello I'm Curtis, I'm new to the forum and photography. Sorry up front for any dumb or repetitive questions. I'm interested in doing wildlife, landscape, and micro photography. I just picked up a Canon EOS 7D, with a Canon 75-300mm USM III, a Canon 18-55mm, and a Bower 650-1300mm lens. I already know a few lenses that I'm wanting to get when I have the money the Canon 50mm 1.4, 400mm, and 100mm micro. I'm also wanting to get a ultra wide angle lens also. The tripod i have is a cheap one, but I feel it will do till I can afford a good carbon fiber one. Is there anything anyone suggest I should look into lenses, tripods, filters ect...? Thank you
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Hello - 04/22/11 12:46 AM

Curtis, photography isn't equipment; it's images. It's your vision. The equipment is merely the tool to get what you see in your mind's eye. Pls. share some images and we can suggest what tools you might need to achieve your vision. But photography isn't simply a matter of acquiring equipment. It's a matter of creating images.

Jim

Re: Hello - 04/28/11 02:14 PM

I was wanting to get people's opinions on a tripod for wildlife photography. I was looking at the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with Q90 column with a manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head with RC4 QR. I can get both new for under $600. It is not my dream tripod, but it is now way I can (maybe in two year i could)afford a tripod like the RRS or Gitzo, especially with a RRS BH-55 head. I want to get one for a lifetime, and can hold a 500mm lens if i can ever afford it lol. So what do you think about the Manfrotto combo? P.S. my dream tripod head combo is the RRS TVC-33 Versa Series 3 Tripod, and RRS BH-55 PCL.
Posted By: glamson

Re: Hello - 04/28/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: redlazer
I was wanting to get people's opinions on a tripod for wildlife photography. I was looking at the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 with Q90 column with a manfrotto 468MGRC4 Hydrostatic Ball Head with RC4 QR. I can get both new for under $600. It is not my dream tripod, but it is now way I can (maybe in two year i could)afford a tripod like the RRS or Gitzo, especially with a RRS BH-55 head. I want to get one for a lifetime, and can hold a 500mm lens if i can ever afford it lol. So what do you think about the Manfrotto combo? P.S. my dream tripod head combo is the RRS TVC-33 Versa Series 3 Tripod, and RRS BH-55 PCL.

Bill,

I don't really know anything about the Manfrotto but you might want to read this article before you spring for a tripod.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

Unfortunately, I read it after I did all the wrong things first and now have a closet full of progressively cheap sticks. If money is a problem you might want to look for a used Gitzo. There are usually a few for sale at Fred Miranda's of Nikonians. I personally use an old Gitzo 1280 with a Markins ball head (even with my 500mm). My only advice is don't get a tripod that is too heavy for you or you will end up not wanting to hump it around when you really should be using one. You can't beat carbon fiber for weight.

Geo

Re: Hello - 04/28/11 08:42 PM

thank you for the replay. I have read that about 3 times lol. The manfrotto I was looking is 3.6lb which is lower than the Gitzo G1327 Mountaineerby about 1.5lbs. The only thing Im not sure about is the Manfrotto max load is the of 17.64. This Manfrotto cost from factory $445, the manfrotto ball head cost $367 from factory. So this set up from the factory is around $800 not cheap. I found it on amazon the tripod for $319, and the ball head is 280. My only feeling is that if I get a used Gitzo as your other tripods will set in the corner when I can get what I want, but I would have spent a lot more money on the Gitzo.
Posted By: RomanJohnston

Re: Hello - 04/29/11 01:14 PM

Here is my suggestion. This might push your budget a bit, but would give you the best bang for the buck in a quality tripod setup.

Legs - Induro 8X CT213. $387.00

Induro is a company that does a Gitzo knockoff and they do a pretty good job at it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655204-REG/Induro_471_213_Carbon_8X_CT213_Tripod.html

Ballhead - Markins Q-Ball Q3 Emille with Lever Release (Black)

$309.99

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3E.php

I know end price is closer to $700.00, but you would have quite the setup.

If the Markins is too expensive, they do have an Induro ballhead suggested no the page I posted for about 1/2 the price, but the quality will go down in comparison to the excellent Markins unit. But it wouldn't be a horrible choice.

Over time I think you will often bump into the challenges the Bower lens will give you quality wise. But long glass is truly expensive.

Just a suggestion.

Roman

Re: Hello - 04/29/11 04:41 PM

Thank you I like the set up. I'm just interested how easy is it to get low to do macro work with this set of legs? It says it only goes down to 7in. I ordered the Induro and Markin ball, but I went with the Q10 being I found the legs used for $180. Also will this set up hold my Canon 7D and a 500mm lens?

Re: Hello - 04/29/11 06:04 PM

45Kg is 99lbs. Markins is very conservative in their rating too. I think your covered as far as the ballhead is considered. Legs....you might be pushing it.

The Q10 should do you for many years, and once you have some age and battle scars on your legs, maybe then consider upgrading to Gitzo or RRS set of legs. You SHOULDN'T ever have to upgrade your ballhead. The one your buying should with some care last as long as you want it too.

As far as macro goes. This is my current tripod. Nothing like it.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548396-REG/Gitzo_GT2531EX_GT2531EX_6X_Carbon_Fiber.html

Roman

Re: Hello - 04/29/11 06:21 PM

good looking tripod. I hope this setup last along time. Thank you for your help. I can always invert the center post to get right near the ground. I want to run a L plate with it. The only L plate I have seen is the RRS one for $189. You know of any other good ones?

Re: Hello - 04/29/11 07:14 PM

I think Arca Swiss makes one as well. Give their web site a check.

Roman
Posted By: glamson

Re: Hello - 05/01/11 04:49 AM

Originally Posted By: redlazer
good looking tripod. I hope this setup last along time. Thank you for your help. I can always invert the center post to get right near the ground. I want to run a L plate with it. The only L plate I have seen is the RRS one for $189. You know of any other good ones?

Markins makes one for the Canon 5D MkII. Not sure if that will fit but you can check it out at

http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/LC520.php
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum