The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue?

Posted By: James Morrissey

How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/05/11 07:49 PM

Hey Folks,

I have an image that I really like, but I over-polarized it. Any tips on how to take out blue-jean blue?

James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/05/11 07:52 PM

Select the blues and desaturate?

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/06/11 12:39 AM

Hey Jim,

Thanks. That seems to be helping a bit. I still cannot get the sky looking perfectly natural.

James

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/06/11 12:49 AM

Check the top center of the pano - that is the area I am having difficulty with.

Posted By: daveman

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/06/11 01:06 AM

James,

Not sure if this is helpful, but below is what I got when I set the grey point on some of the snow in the background using the eyedropper on a curves adjustment layer.

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/06/11 01:28 AM

Hey Dave,

Thanks. That looks a bit better. The trick though is now I am seeing 'pink' streaks in your sky. I would not mind this if it were a sunrise shot, but as you can see, it was obviously later in the AM.

James
Posted By: daveman

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/06/11 10:37 PM

James,

I wonder if that is banding because I was working off a low res image? I did not introduce any colors - I just used curves to neutralize the image by setting a gray point. I wonder if you would get the banding if you tried the same thing from the high res image?

Otherwise I do not have any other suggestions.
Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/07/11 02:00 AM

I'm not much help either, 'cept to say, I have gotten away
from polarizing wide angle landscapes, for this reason....

Nice otherwise though...
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/07/11 10:48 AM

I looked close at your original photo that you posted James. There is banding in the dark area already. I played with the photo also, but my results did not come out much different than Dave's did. The banding jumps out.
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/08/11 12:21 AM

James:

I'm guessing you gave your stitching program fits by forgetting to AEL on the appropriate location? I see the banding in your original too. Thought it might have been whisps of wannabe clouds forming since you weren't using a particular model of the same camera brand I shoot with (says Jim taking a good natured poke at his own brand <G>. blush

Anyway, I'm a neophyte when it comes to post processing, but here's what I came up with in PSE8 using a combination of the large and small flaw SPOT Healing Brush.

Posted By: Marty Everhard

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/08/11 02:15 AM

That is interesting.

Re: How to Take Out Blue Jean Blue? - 09/09/11 03:36 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the help on this. You don't see the red in the full size image, but when I resize it, you definitely see it in the smaller file. Curious.

Anyway, I think I was able to put together a print that looks pretty good - still a bit blue in the sky, but not at all unattractive.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum