The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Tripod Question...

Posted By: KatieC

Tripod Question... - 09/28/11 08:47 PM

Will any universal tripod work with my Nikon D3100?
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/28/11 08:51 PM

If the camera has a tripod socket, then it should fit any standard tripod.

Jim

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/28/11 08:55 PM

Thanks smile

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/28/11 09:34 PM

Ok..this is probably a dumb question, but wondering. I am in a rewards program and have enough points for a table top tripod max. 9" extension and min. 5.50". Or I could wait until I have enough points for a 50". Would I benefit from both? Do you have both?
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/28/11 10:15 PM

IMHO, one really decent full-sized tripod is a better use of your initial tripod $$ than a table-top unit which limits you. You can use a full-sized tripod on a table. Just try to get a nice, light-weight one. I have a relatively low-priced carbon-fiber unit with a ball head and it works for me in those situations where I absolutely need a tripod. It's not sturdy enough for performance sports or really long lenses but it works for me both for formals and for 90% of my outdoor needs. And it's very light and not a burden to take with me.

Jim
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/28/11 11:25 PM

Katie:

I agree with Jim wholeheartedly and encourage you to put a lot of thought and research into this very important decision.

Whatever tripod/head combination you get, it should be sturdy enough to provide a stable platform for the heaviest camera/lens you plan on regularly attaching to it, but light enough so that you are actually inclined to take it with you when you go shooting.

(This advice from a guy who leaves his home far too often and frequently comes home with less than stellar shots as a result.) blush

Tucson Jim

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/29/11 02:18 PM

Thanks so much for the helpful tips smile
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/29/11 03:27 PM

Hey Katie,

What are you planning on using the tripod for? BTW, there are two basic tripod mount sizes. 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch. Some tripods have convertibles (i.e. two screws, one that retracts on top of the other).

James

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/29/11 05:53 PM

Hmm...I didn't realize there were 2 different screw sizes. I will have to find out what size the one on my camera is. I plan to use it for beach and bridge landscape shots mostly. It also might help with getting decent shots of my 2yr old. I have found that I am really shaky so I wanted to see if a tripod would help with that issue.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Tripod Question... - 09/29/11 07:00 PM

Hey Katie,

The screw mount at the bottom of pretty much all cameras is 3/8 of an inch. What I was referring to was the screw mount size of most tripods that a tripod head connects to. Sorry if I was not clear.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum