The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Olympus OM-D EM5

Posted By: James Morrissey

Olympus OM-D EM5 - 02/08/12 05:08 PM

Well, this looks like a pretty amazing m4/3 camera and real tweener between 4/3 and m4/3. The 16 megapixel chip looks awesome. I hope I can get a copy for review. Anyway, I am glad I did not pick up the E-P3.

Anyway, for folks who read my interview with Sally Clemens, it is amazing how fast things are changing.

Camera Preview from DPreview:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/olympusem5/

Interview with Sally Smith Clemens
http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35995#Post35995

One of the quotes that I think was interesting:
JM: Do you feel that the Micro 4/3 System will soon meet the needs of all 4/3 users?
SS: Not at this time. There are some things that the Micro 4/3 system does not offer at this moment - like a full weather proof construction. As mentioned earlier, this brings up the important issue of application. While most 4/3 users needs are able to be met by a Micro 4/3 camera, there are those who have needs that are beyond the current capabilities of Micro 4/3. The faster frame rate (fps), full swivel LCD and vertical release on the E-5 are a few functions that may determine which product best fits the user application.

James
Posted By: Tucson Jim

Re: Olympus OM-D EM5 - 02/12/12 12:38 AM

James:

I agree. There certainly seems to be a lot to like about Oly's latest M4/3rds offering. Magnesium Alloy construction; full weather sealing; built in 120Hz EVF; 5-Axis in body image stabilization; top mounted dual control dials; 16MP sensor; ISO 200-25,600; SD/SDHC/SDXC memory storage; 9 fps burst; and full HD video.

I also like the fact that the IBIS kicks in with half-click of the shutter in live view. I never could master tweaking the focus at 10X magnification in live view. The image just bounces and shakes too much.

I've been wanting to add a M4/3 body to my gear for travel purposes and with a 12-50mm & a 75-300mm lens, the whole kit would weigh in at less than 2 pounds, batteries included. That would save a lot of wear and tear on my neck during a long day of sightseeing. Of course I could make do with a body only and get an adapter for the 14-42mm & 40-150mm kit lenses that came with my E-510.

I'll be saving my allowance while I wait for your hands on review.

Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Olympus OM-D EM5 - 02/14/12 04:19 AM

Hey Jim,

I use my Olympus Pen E-P2 constantly. It travels with me everywhere I go. It is a wonderful camera. The new EM5 looks like a real jump forward in terms of pretty much everything. The first REAL m4/3 camera.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum