The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Equestrian photography

Posted By: Julie

Equestrian photography - 04/05/07 12:53 AM

Some of my favorites from the horse show this weekend

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Equestrian photography - 04/05/07 04:22 AM

Hi Julie,

It is hard to say anything critical about these. They are all very well done. That first shot of the silhouette is very publishable in my opinion.

James
Posted By: Tess32

Re: Equestrian photography - 04/08/07 06:29 AM

The first shot is just stunning Julie. They are all great but that one is a knockout.
Posted By: lv1

Julie - 05/17/07 03:46 AM

Very nice job. I anm looking to get into equestrian photography. I have a camera and a horse. Please take a look at my gallery (equestrian - Rolex and Bucks County Horse Park). C&C appreciated.

http://www.digitalexpressionsphotography.com/Equestrian

Laslo
Posted By: Julie

Re: Julie - 05/17/07 11:50 AM

If you are very interested in getting into equestrian photography, the best place to learn about it is http://www.equinephotographers.org There are very high profile equestrian photographers that will give you honest critiques.

It is a funny niche and the event photography at the local level is not a huge money maker. It is enough to be worthwhile, but, you won't make a living from it.

In your galleries, your Graystone equestrian center one, you were using too short a lens. You really must use one that is 100mm or longer to keep the distortion from occuring(the big head look) And watch the feet. Can't have a horse without feet

In pleasant hollow, I would crop closer, maybe some with vertical crops. I like to crop pretty tight.

Give EPN a try, worth the money, and will improve your equestrian photography second only to being an apprentice!
Posted By: lv1

Julie - Thanks - 05/17/07 01:43 PM

I will check out them out. And thanks for looking at the photos. I agree with tighter crops and verticals. In my Rolex Phot gallery I used the vertical crops for the first time. My fiend (and fellow equestrian) of course preferred landscape. Oh well!!

Laslo
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum