The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Dogs from this weekend

Posted By: Julie

Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 12:49 AM

I worked Bark in the park this weekend, and though I didn't have a lot of people stop and get their photo taken, I gave out a lot of cards and had a lot of compliments. So, it was worthwhile. I made a little money and a little is ok

Posted By: Blue Dog

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 01:19 AM

Wow Julie, very nice! Tell us again what you are using for your lighting set-up. These are great! The background, lighting, and even your choice for the covering of the posing box is working.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 01:28 AM

It is an extremely simple set up. The main light(alien bee 800 and umbrella bounced) is just barely offset in the front and then I used a softbox(with a cheap strobe I bought as a background light) doing its best to be a hairlight over top of the table.

The covering of the grooming table is a piece of velour material from the sewing store and the backdrop is a 10x16 canvas.
Posted By: Blue Dog

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 03:15 AM

I have been deciding what direction to take for lighting. I would like a very portable set-up.

Have you discovered www.strobist.com yet? Great site for very simple portable lighting using off-camera strobes.

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 11:10 AM

Portable is one thing, recycle time is another. You can do amazing things with Nikon speedlights, I have seen a video that just blew me away.

My AB's, recycle almost immediately. If I accidently leave it on motor drive, they will fire twice.

But, really, I don't know enough about speedlights to say if they are better or easier than strobes. An Alien bee costs less than a speedlight, so, you just have to decide what it is you want to do.
Posted By: bob swanson

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 12:10 PM

Hi Julie

Your images are great. Just a couple of suggestions. Since your muslin is so big have you thought of draping it over the box or stand that you sit the dogs. It would make a more seamless background.
Also have you thought of putting the background light on the ground behind the dogs pointing up. I would just guess that your MAIN would be enough of a hairlight by itself. Mine has a slave built in so is triggered by the Main. Just some thoughts.
www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/15/07 01:42 PM

It is a canvas, and it would not be comfortable for the dogs to be on. I really don't want them on it unless necessary(ie; the large dogs on the ground) It does scratch.

I don't want the backdrop lightened anymore. I do use a background light on some backdrops, but this one has a hot spot that really doesn't need more light on it. It washes it out more than I like.

My lights do all fire at the same time, so, that is not a big deal. This is just my easy, generic setup for whatever comes my way in a portrait day.

I use the softbox just to give a bit of seperation and eveness to the side.

The main is set at about 6:30-7 o'clock and the hair light is set at about 3 o'clock, and up high. It is set fairly low as to not blow out whites
Posted By: Dee Dee

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/17/07 07:50 PM

These are great Julie. Nice and sharp and good lighting.

Interesting light set up too, how do you suspend the overhead strobe? After last weekend I can see how a hair light would be good sometimes to separate a dog from a background of nearly the same color.

Love the sheltie and papillon who is doing his darndest to look like a sheltie puppy lol. Pug is too cute too. I notice no catch lights in the top sheltie's eyes, do you ever artificially put them in? I have done that a couple of times but wondered if that was considered ok to do.
Posted By: Schnauzermom

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/18/07 03:12 PM

These are gorgeous!

Re: Dogs from this weekend - 05/18/07 03:21 PM

If I had my tent, I would hang it from the top, but, when I don't, I just jack up my light stand reallly high and point it down. Sounds really technical doesn't it

The lighting is really really basic. Fairly flat and even. I need more work to get really interesting lighting
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum