The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Puppies

Posted By: MartaA

Puppies - 06/19/07 08:49 PM

Our first litter in over 7 years! WAY overdue!
Hoping this "tags" right...??

Attached picture 8961-puppynoses.jpg
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Puppies - 06/19/07 10:06 PM

Marta,
gorgeous Goldens! Our Golden guy, Crash, thinks they are very cute. Our Rottie puppy, Sundance, can't wait for them to be old enough to play with. Rotties love those tails!

Will you show them?

Jim

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 12:53 AM

<<Our Rottie puppy, Sundance, can't wait for them to be old enough to play with. Rotties love those tails!>>

Hi Jim,
After this long, there'd better be a few show pups in this litter!
I will be keeping a boy, I miss my boys..so, hopefully one of them will all come together! I show in all arena's. Conformation, OB & Agility. Haven't had the "time" it takes to play in the field. Just not my thing..
The litter had 2 boys, and 3 girls.
First pup out was a wee little girl, breach, but she is only half the size of the second pup! VERY tiny, but then again, VERY sassy! (iwannaboyiwannaboy!! I keep having to say this over her!)
This litter was dubbed the "Popeye" litter.
Wee little one, we called Sweetpea, while we were waiting on her siblings. Second boy out at a pound, had an eye slit open, so, Popeye just came naturally. Lost the third little girl, as she was stillborn, with all we could do to revive her..thena boy, girl, girl! (Brutus, Olive oyl and Wimpy!
Funny your second dog is a rottie.
Rotties are my next favorite big dog, and then those squatty corgi's and pugs, are my favorite little dogs, with big attitudes!
I can not wait til their eyes/ears open, and they get sassy with each other! These two HAD to be wombmates! THey are ALWAYS together! (1&2)
Stay tuned for more..

Attached picture 8965-Sweepeapopeyecopy.jpg
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 03:09 AM

Hi Marta,

Great shots of the puppies. I don't get the opportunity often to see them so tiny. Well done.

James

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 12:22 PM

Marta,
while I realize this discussion is off-topic for the forum, I'll send along some photos so we can continue it . We've only bred 3 litters in the 10 years we've been showing. This latest one is very special since we own Great Grandma Annie who became an American Rottweiler Club Gold Producer this past April (on 2 litters), Grandpa Rowdy (A/C Ch Loral's Der Terminator TDI-certified Therapy Dog) and, of course, mom Cassidy.

It was Cassidy's first litter and there were 4 boys and 4 girls. We kept a boy because I wanted one to continue the work that Rowdy has started in convincing people that Rottweilers can be wonderful canine citizens. Cassidy's formal name is Annihaus Rowdy's B Cassidy (the B standing for bitch) and so the boy's name is Annihaus Cassidy's Sundance Kid.

We chose Sundance because of his attitude: he's just a wonderfully confident, sweet boy that nothing phases at all. My plan is to start him in Obedience and Rally and then, once he titles, put him in Conformation. He's going to be a very big boy and I want him to mature. 5 of the other puppies are also in "show" homes so it should be fun.

Sundance and Crash (the Golden) are best buddies and play together like brothers (Crash is 7 years old). I'll try to get some photos of Sundance trying to bury Crash in one of the holes in the backyard .

Again, congrats on the litter. Keep those photos coming.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 01:04 PM

Marta,
just to keep this thread on topic, here is a quick portrait I took of the litter at 4 weeks of age.

And here is a shot of Sundance from that same day. Can you see why we kept him?

Enjoy. Remember, the fun is just starting.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 01:59 PM

Remember, the fun is just starting.>>
Oh...believe me, I know!
What a little "butt"! Any puppy conformation shots?
I tell ya, I've had litters of 9 before, and that was fine..but, having the 5 I have little need to "collar" them, for ID!
I love training puppies, I can't wait til they are at a training stage, but, then I will enjoy their little squeals in the meantime!
Thanks for sharing!
PS..so to continue gushing about the pups, I need to go to the general forum??

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 02:16 PM

Quote:

PS..so to continue gushing about the pups, I need to go to the general forum??

Nah. We'll just continue to gush until they tell us to quit.

I just had our Golden cut down for the summer and he looks like a 6-month old puppy again. I'll take a shot or two.

Let me look through the puppy shots and see what I have of the crew stacked out. Haven't done much recently although I do have a self-stacked shot of Sundance that I'll send along later.

Hug those puppies!

Jim

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 03:03 PM

Marta,
here's a shot of our Crash right after he was cut down for the Summer. He's staring at some ducks that have decided that our pool is just a terrific spot to swim. Crash is thinking "ducky for dinner, dad".

And here are the ducks he's staring at.

Enjoy!

Jim

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 07:44 PM

<<here's a shot of our Crash right after he was cut down for the Summer. He's staring at some ducks that have decided that our pool is just a terrific spot to swim. >>

Hi Jim~
Very handsome! Who'd you get him from?
I'm finding more and more, its a small world when it comes to goldens!
I've been to the Eastern Specialties a few times...plus soo many people relocate, I'm wondering if I know his pedigree!?

Had a pool in NH, it was basically the dogs pool!
I haven't been able to put my website in a signature, (what is an ICQ number and is it relevant to why I maybe can't?)
www.perennialgoldens.com

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 08:16 PM

Marta,
Crash's formal name is Driftwood's Hard Drive and he's out of Ch Summits Crocodile Rock and Driftwood's Hopeless Flirt. We showed him a few times when he was younger (he's 6 now) but he has a gay tail and since we weren't going to breed that we decided the grooming and showing expenses simply were not worth it. He is AKC pointed.

As for getting a signature on your posts, I believe you set up the content on your profile page and then make sure that the box is checked to "add signature to this post."

Which reminds me -- I have to edit my signature to update my webpages.

Glad you like Crash. He's a joy.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 09:18 PM

A Burbank kid! Thats why he is soo handsome!
Beth does a wonderful job producing goldens true to standard!
Tried to attach another photo, but I keep getting "timed out" so, maybe later, I'll try again~
Hugs to Crash!

Re: Puppies - 06/20/07 10:27 PM

Marta,
posting photos in-line is a bit difficult but not impossible. Go to the FAQ and see what they say about how to post an image. You need to have it on a site that the server can point to: like Pbase for example. Then you need to copy the URL into the pop-up and make sure to have a file extension: .jpg at the end of the file number. That's all there is to it.

Give it a try. As I said, it's cumbersome but not impossible.

Jim
Posted By: Dee Dee

Re: Puppies - 06/23/07 05:32 AM

Dang...ALL these shots are just too cute! All we need is a whiff of puppy breath and we'd really have our fix.

Re: Puppies - 07/02/07 06:57 PM

Quote:

Dang...ALL these shots are just too cute! All we need is a whiff of puppy breath and we'd really have our fix.

Okay, well, I've been trying to bottle it...but dang...no luck!
Sixteen days old, tooo darn cute! Eyes are opening, ears are trying to figure out who said "rarf"~? And I can't sneak in so much as I did just a few days ago!
All settling in nicely. New smells, and they still settle down, different handlers, and they quickly settle back down from being picked up.. All the stuff that goes with safe socialization at this stage, we're definately having a blast!

Attached picture 9254-2weeksspreadout.jpg

Re: Puppies - 07/23/07 08:54 PM

Some today of the girls..
Where does the time go? Lately its been non stop, with "Visitors" and various odd jobs. BUT! I see its been "lite" here on the board as well~.
Straight off the card...
Theyse guys are obnoxiously CUTE! 5 weeks

Re: Puppies - 07/23/07 10:27 PM

Marta,
they're gorgeous. What lines are they out of?

I love the "Canadian" look. God, they are so adorable at that stage. My guys are 7 mos. old -- can you believe -- and I have two of them staying with me this week (in addition to Sundance and the rest of the Garvie Clan of 6) so the house is pure chaos. I'll try to get some shots to share.

Thanks for these. Very pretty puppies.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 07/24/07 12:45 AM

Hi JIm~
They are of English descent? heritage?
Clipper http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=273 is a solid sire within the pedigree's, and the dark female, I am having a hard time NOT looking at!
We have a handler/turning judge, coming to evaluate structure at 8 weeks, and a temperment test at 7 weeks.
Ok...since I realized I didn't post a photo of "Wimpy", here she is...

I'll get some of the boys...but really, unless one has a better package than she does, AND, the stud owner doesn't pick HER, than I'll have to shift my desire for a boy, and keep her!(tough decision eh?)
PS..I will co own whichever bitch puppy the stud owner keeps, and keep another one(bitch or dog)..left over..<sigh>
These are at 5 weeks.

Re: Puppies - 07/24/07 12:46 AM

www.perennialgoldens.com

More about us...

Re: Puppies - 07/24/07 12:03 PM

Marta,
I love Wimpy! She's a very nice package. Lovely topline; very chunky; gorgeous headpiece. I'd keep her .

The other girls have that "English" look and color. Wimpy is more to my liking in terms of color but the overall blocky-ness of the puppies is very nice.

I'd like to see the boys.

I've always had a medium-Gold in my Goldens except for my first guy, Harvey Garvie, who was a redhead until he went pure white at 10 years of age -- he lived to be 15 after bloating at 9.5. Now, that was a wonderful Golden Retriever! Looked a lot like Clipper in fact.

These are really nice puppies, Marta. Congratulations. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 07/24/07 12:13 PM

Marta,
I just checked out your kennel facility and it's really impressive. And I love your explanation of why you're so picky about home selection. We share the same values when it comes to our dogs. I guess that's why my guys are referred to as "Golden Retrievers in black 'n tan suits". I consider that the ultimate compliment for a Rottweiler.

If we were closer, I wouldn't hesitate to leave my guys with you. And I never leave my guys in a kennel.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 07/24/07 01:41 PM

Quote:

Marta,
I love Wimpy! She's a very nice package. Lovely topline; very chunky; gorgeous headpiece. I'd keep her .
>

These are really nice puppies, Marta. Congratulations. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Jim

Hi Jim~
Awww..thanks~!
I am really happy with them! Dying to know who stays! Like you, I have MY ideas/picks, but, its soo hard!
I wanted to keep a boy, but unless the stud owner takes Wimpy, I'll have to "save" her from a life of being a "pet"!
A spoiled rotten show dog we'll have! But, hopefully the stud owner does take her, and we'll lavish her with work!
I'm not into the field part, where Karen is, so...
Boys...coming soon~ I have started spending one on one time with them, and the camera is on a tripod, ready and waiting!
Stay tuned..

Re: Puppies - 07/24/07 01:46 PM

Quote:

If we were closer, I wouldn't hesitate to leave my guys with you. And I never leave my guys in a kennel.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks again! Its a great compliment.
I tried so hard explaining all we had, in a website, so that people would have the general idea, beFORE they called!
Thing is, I've gotten recommended by people who had only visited the website, to their friends!
We only just reinvested in the "Goldens Only"(and friends and neighbors dogs), after moving here and wondering if we could still do it. Its working so far!
And those Rotties would be welcome ANYtime! Still trying to find the photo of Simba...my almost dog..!~
Off to work~
Thanks again for the smile this am!

Re: Puppies - 07/27/07 12:14 AM

Marta,
here's a photo we took this morning of Cali from our January litter (she's 7 mos. old now). She's been spending a few days with me this week for training and, as you can see, she's doing very well.

Cali was "pick" puppy according to 2 of our evaluators and she's a doll. This week I've also had her brother Jasper along with Sundance and we've been baby-sitting two Rotties for our neighbors down the street (a Rowdy son and an Annie daughter) so that's put the dog quotient in the Garvie household at 10 dogs for today . And I don't have a kennel facility. Just the house and the yard.

Fortunately, everyone adores each other so it's been a lot of fun.

Anyway, because Rotties are your second favorite breed, here's Cali.

Enjoy those little balls of fur.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 07/27/07 04:21 PM

Quote:

Marta,

Cali was "pick" puppy according to 2 of our evaluators and she's a doll.
Enjoy those little balls of fur.

Jim

Hi Jim~
She's gorgeous! A natural, would you say?

I have the appointment with our evaluator, set for August 8.
They could go home that weekend, all depending on what we're left with evaluations wise! I THOUGHT I wanted a male....hmmmm...
Its easier to know who is going to the pet homes, and definately not "runner's", but, <sigh> ...
They all got baths today, for their first puppy therapy visit. And no, I didn't get any photos as I had two pups at a time in the tub!
Here is one we grabbed the other day..its to the point now, I HAVE the photos, I just don't have the time to get them filed!!
Have fun with the crew!

Re: Puppies - 07/27/07 10:33 PM

Marta,
which one is that?

Jim

Re: Puppies - 07/28/07 04:55 PM

Not sure which one, either Brutus or Olive. At this point, they are soo fast and tireless, I'm having a hard time keeping up with them!
Yesterday's therapy visit though was good, as we caught them on their way to "nap", and thus, made perfect lap dogs! Talk about great socialization!! New smells, new people, new noise! They did great!
This was with Olive Oyl.

Re: Puppies - 07/28/07 10:06 PM

Marta,
what a great thing to do with the puppies! Rowdy's breeder did the same thing with his litter -- brought them to a local convalescent home when they were puppies -- and I'm sure that's why Rowdy enjoys the Therapy work so much.

If they can bring joy to people for their entire lives, they will have made a tremendous contribution regardless of how they do as show or field dogs. We're going to start Sundance's Therapy training next week and hope to bring both him and his grandfather, Rowdy, to a long-term care facility that's close to where we live. Sundance loves to cuddle so I think it will be really good both for him and for people's image of Rotties.

Great work, Marta. I continue to be impressed.

Jim

Re: Puppies - 08/02/07 02:02 PM

Quote:

Marta,
what a great thing to do with the puppies! Rowdy's breeder did the same thing with his litter -- brought them to a local convalescent home when they were puppies -- and I'm sure that's why Rowdy enjoys the Therapy work so much.

If they can bring joy to people for their entire lives, they will have made a tremendous contribution regardless of how they do as show or field dogs. We're going to start Sundance's Therapy training next week and hope to bring both him and his grandfather, Rowdy, to a long-term care facility that's close to where we live. Sundance loves to cuddle so I think it will be really good both for him and for people's image of Rotties.

Great work, Marta. I continue to be impressed.

Jim

Hi Jim~
It was really fun! The pups did super well! (ok, tired pups, but...)
I hope the hospitals down here in C. Springs, develop or are open to a pet therapy program, in the same way that The Children's hospital does. We always had a good time visiting the kids, as well as the seniors~!
Here is a shot from yesterday. The stud owner came out to see who she would be taking, and brought some birds with her. They were ALL excited about the birds! But, of course, my favorie, Wimpy, she just lead the pack. Enough so, that Karen, decided she would be the one. Which is sad, but not, as I will co own her, take her in the conformation ring, while Karen does everything else with her on the "tail end".. So, now I look to the boys, and who will be the "one"!

Re: Puppies - 08/02/07 02:55 PM

Marta,
nice to know that you and the stud dog owner agree on Wimpy. She's very special.

So, how about some shots of those boys so we can help you pick the one .

Jim

Re: Puppies - 08/02/07 05:23 PM

Quote:

Marta,
nice to know that you and the stud dog owner agree on Wimpy. She's very special.

So, how about some shots of those boys so we can help you pick the one .

Jim

I'm tryin Jim~
But, I feel like I'm running on empty these days~
My kennel clientele seems to be winding down for the summer, ONE day, then I get more calls, for future reservations(YAY!) so, its GOOD to be inundated!
We are having them evaluated next Wed. by a Bouvier breeder/handler, who wants to become a judge, so, he'll help us see what we don't~!
I'm leaning toward Popeye, but he sidewinds a bit, so, to have a pro's idea, will help. Brutus is structurally correct, moves nice, but lacks in the bone that Popeye has.
Brutus is also a little more reserved.
I'll post em when I can!!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum