The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Friesians

Posted By: Dee Dee

Friesians - 09/01/07 04:51 AM

Some from my latest shoot. I hate to think we are almost to the end of outdoor shooting until next year.

edit: I just got done setting up another shoot for Sunday with a beautiful dapple gray andalusian stallion, going to have him running at liberty in a large field, and we are supposed to have some sun that afternoon. So fingers crossed, one more shoot (at least) before the dark skies set in out here!

Posted By: Julie

Re: Friesians - 09/01/07 11:44 AM

Those are BEAUTIFUL Dee Dee!!! You sure have a lot of baroque horses around you!
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Friesians - 09/01/07 12:25 PM

Dee Dee,
exquisite photos. Really. Wonderful stuff.

Gorgeous horses. Gorgeous woman. Suddenly, this horse photography is getting very attractive .

It's hard for me to think that as you get to the season where you can't shoot outside any more, we are getting to the season where the temps moderate to the point where it's possible to do some outdoor stuff. Although we're in the 90s this weekend, still.

I love every single image in this series. Just lovely.

Jim
Posted By: Emmy

Re: Friesians - 09/01/07 09:58 PM

Dee Dee, I think those are breath taking! I always enjoy seeing your work.

Emmy

Re: Friesians - 09/02/07 04:21 AM

Aren't they beautiful Julie, I love the baroque breeds the best and Friesians are my favorites. The top one is for sale but waaay out of my league. I didn't realize how many of these types of horses are around here, it goes by word of mouth I keep hearing about more. This one was a fluke, I lucked into getting to do this, she lived way too far for me to go but is down here (an hour and a half from me) for a couple of months so it worked out great.

Funny thing is, the Andalusians I am shooting tomorrow, happen to live about a mile from these Friesians, and the two sets of people don't even know each other. Kind of woo woo.

"Suddenly, this horse photography is getting very attractive "

LOL Jim!! Maybe I'll luck out next time and get some buff dude. I was a little nervous taking shots of a human with the horse, I haven't done much of that, but it turned out to be a lot of fun, and as you can see, not that much of a challenge given the good looks of both subjects. The only thing I kick myself for is I blew the white skirt out. I know...I should have shot raw and brought the exposure down. I will have a chance to practice that tomorrow, the Andalusians are all dapple gray to almost white. I did though, because of the discussion we all had on the Andalusian thread, made sure I shot the still shots with Av instead of Tv. (I love the stuff I learn on this board!)

Boy Jim I don't think we even came that close to 90 all summer, but a handful of days. For us, we will start getting dark skies and rain before long, maybe some days yet in September will be good but when the rains set in they usually stay. Ugh. No shooting all winter to speak of. I am frantically trying to shoot all Ican in fact another Andalusian stallion owner asked me to come shoot his horse tomorrow but I already had this one set up. Maybe Hallie and I need a winter home in Florida!

Thanks Emmy! I was lucky to get to shoot such beautiful subjects, it made it all so easy! And the gal was really good at knowing how to pose. I learn so much on these. The horse just had to stand there and he'd take my breath away! And both horses were so sweet, yet firey when she let them loose. Really fun to watch them.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Friesians - 09/02/07 11:51 AM

Dee Dee,
the thing I love about these animals is their fire. They are so ALIVE!!! Bristling with energy and strength.

Capturing that is not easy but you seem to do it every time out.

Just wondering: is the market for your photographs better with a person in the images or worse? Realizing that not all owners are as attractive as that woman but I would think that if the owners really are close to the horse, they would value an image with them in it. Just curious.

Good luck today. Cant' wait to see some images from the shoot.

Jim

Re: Friesians - 09/02/07 05:24 PM

I think so too, I love this kind of horse, I asked if she would be taking video of these 2 it really was breathtaking to watch them in action.

That's a good question! I usually don't shoot the people because I won't be painting those kinds of shots so I focus on getting the horse shots. But unless the owner has an aversion to having the picture taken (Like I would LOL) I imagine they would buy. I suppose having kids with the animals would really sell, but good question about the adults. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has thoughts on that too.

We're leaving in a bit here for the Andalusian shoot, and we have SUN yeay! Wasn't sure if that would happen today. The field is 5 acres they will have the stallion in, I am hoping they have enough helpers to guide him because I've found I get the best poses for what I want, when they are running and they slow to change directions, often as they turn they rear up a bit, arch their necks and their mane flies out behind them as they tuck their front legs up and then the take off again can be really pretty. If the area is too big for the horse to run in, you just get some chances as he runs straight by rather than the turning and cavorting.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Friesians - 09/02/07 07:36 PM

Dee Dee, your images are so imspirational. Makes you want to ride, shoot, paint........
What is the temperment of this breed?

Re: Friesians - 09/03/07 04:37 AM

Argh yes ride, shoot, paint...I always want a horse again sooo bad after a shoot LOL.

In general the Friesians are really nice, these two are exceptionally nice, gentle yet fiery. They can be hot, and my cousins gelding who has a heart of gold and is sweet as he can be, is also very spooky and scares himself (and he's huge!) but we were told his line is like that. Other lines aren't. They aren't the smoothest horse to ride because they have such big action when they trot but the canter is OK and they sure are beautiful to watch.

I'm becoming a bigger fan of Andalusians all the time too, they are very level headed and gentle yet spirited. I just got back from todays shoot with the Andalusian stallion, and he was a real gentleman even around the mares (and the goat!) His owner rode him in a show last weekend, where he had to do all of these dressage moves right next to a mare who was in heat and he performed flawlessly. I don't know which is my favorite breed, mostly I think the Friesian but the Andalusians are right up there too.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Friesians - 09/03/07 03:10 PM

Sounds like the Arabs in a big body. The gal that lost that Paint mare I posted pictures of a while back went shopping and bought a half arab and half Dutch Harness Horse. It seems so funny to be around volume when you are used to our small wonderful horses. Can't you tell I love the Arabs.

With my mare being 27 and my gelding 21, I am at that point in life deciding how to carry on with horses. Dee Dee, with you being without horses, does the artwork fill the void?

Re: Friesians - 09/03/07 06:09 PM

That is great your friend bought another horse. I love arabs too, I grew up with 2 arabs. They are great horses. I was just told yesterday that arabs can live longer than many breeds (have you heard that?) which makes some sense as my mare died at 38 and my gelding is still going at 32. So hopefully your two will have many good years left.

It has been many years now since I've had horses (I couldn't bear to sell my 2 when I went to college so I leased them out, so I could have full control over their well being if the home didn't work out). In the beginning it was awful not having a horse. But now, Hallie fills every void for me, (kind of scary all of my happiness is contained in a little 7 yr old body!) and although I love getting my horse fix and wish I could have one each time I am around them, in reality I wouldn't get one because I wouldn't take that time apart from Hallie. I would guess though, if not for Hallie, that the art work would not be enough to satisfy my horse urge. It wasn't enough for the 4 years between my last dog and Hallie, to help me not yearn for a dog. I think you might be sunk LOL.
Posted By: MartaA

Re: Friesians - 09/11/07 10:06 PM

Dee Dee!
AWESOME images!
Friesians are indeed beautiful, but soo darn HUGE! That is one of the reasons I opted for the lesser known Dales pony!
Same look, just easier to get on!
Shoot! (ha, pun intended) I need to get my gear going again!
Short break for a bit of family camping, and now to get back on track!
Where are the Andalusian images???

Re: Friesians - 09/12/07 03:57 AM

Yes Marta your Dales pony sure does look like a little Friesian! Beautiful little horse!!! I need the Friesian to fit my long legs LOL.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum