The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

One Fat Frenchie!!

Posted By: KennyP

One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/15/07 08:07 PM

I had a little booth at a local dog walk, and came upon this fabulous trio! You can see all of the unedited shots at this location.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/15/07 08:17 PM

Great shot, love the expressions! Timeless and very well done!!! I'm still laughing and likely will every time I think of this shot!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting kennyp!
Posted By: Julie

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/15/07 09:09 PM

You do the best job with high key white of anyone I have seen. I truly aspire to do hi key like this!!!

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/15/07 09:13 PM

Quote:

You do the best job with high key white of anyone I have seen.

That's because I never post the bad ones!!

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/15/07 10:13 PM

hahahaha! Smart

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/15/07 10:47 PM

If you want to do good highkey, lasotlite has made it easy and affordable to do high key with it's new "lastolite highlight background" it's a huge portable soft box that you use for a back drop, it's very cool. There's a write up in the November issue of Shutterbug. . . on the news stand now.

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/16/07 12:21 PM

Or you can do what I sometimes do: put a strobe behind the seamless paper! Now that's inexpensive!

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/16/07 12:41 PM

Dumb question, do you use a softbox with the strobe, an umbrella or nothing? I have heard of putting the lights behind, but, have not tried it

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/16/07 06:38 PM

If I have a lot of space [ten feet or more] behind the paper I'll just point a strobe right at it! If I'm space limited, I'll just use a silver brolly to spread out the light.
But most of the time I don't need it. If you want to shoot white dogs on white, you WILL need it!

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/16/07 08:09 PM

So that is how you did the Westie!

Shooting white on white is tough. I have had a hard time with light spill with white backdrops(too much light on the backdrop.

I am going to get my garage cleaned up and set up my studio to play in

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/16/07 10:58 PM

keep in mind the distance of the subject to the background in order to avoid distracting shadows, I'm not pushing the lastolite background, but it's portable, no stand to bring along, and your subject can be VERY close and not project a shadow on to the backdrop.

In any event, that is a great shot and in my view, it is lit highkey, and that it self helps to minimize the shadows on the background. . .
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 10/21/07 01:57 PM

Dealing with shadow is one of the hardest things I have encountered...this is particularly so with the 4 legged critters who are shorter and denser than we are. In order to deal with it, I generally shoot with at least 1 light bounced down to push the shadows low. I have found that it is very effective.

James
Posted By: Dee Dee

Re: One Fat Frenchie!! - 11/08/07 05:41 AM

You are the master of high key, Kenny! I don't know if you know it but you are the one who first pushed me over the edge to get the studio stuff to begin with (mainly to get photos of my Hallie LOL). Really informative thread, thanks to all who input!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum