The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Advice on breaking into the pet world

Posted By: Jim Poor

Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/09/08 01:16 PM

Obviously, I'm a dog lover (most pets actually) and I think that if I can work with subjects I like, it will show through. I'm also a nature photographer, but unless you are leading photo tours and teaching seminars the money is hard to come by in that world. Anyway I'm looking for advice on getting into the serious world of pet photography in as much as folks are willing to share.

I'll go first with what I have done so far and plan to do in the future.

I started by doing volunteer photos for the rescue groups that we adopted two of our four dogs from, then expanded to others. That gave me a few things:
1. Experience working with dogs other than my own
2. Experience with dogs that are not well trained
3. Experience with subjects from bubbly to terrified
4. Exposure (photo credit on the site, people visiting the events, etc.
5. An "in" I have agreements to eventually put flyers into adoption packages that will give discounts to folks who adopt.

I've had several folks ask me if I do private sessions so I am getting some results.

Recently, I began contacting other rescue groups in the area offering photos for adoption web sites as well as letting them know I'm available to do fund raising events (Ah, now I get to get paid and contribute back to the groups)

I'm running over 50% positive responses and most of those include the possibility of paid fund raising events. (one for 300+ dogs in September is booked already as well as a few smaller ones).

What I would like to do is expand into the world of breeders, dog shows and vets / pet spas.

I'm sure I'll run across someone from these target pools while at an event, but I'd like to take a more proactive approach. I've contacted a few pet spas directly with less positive results than I would like.

What do you all do to break in to that market?

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: KennyP

Hook up with a pet related business ... - 05/09/08 01:28 PM

I'm associated with a five-vet animal hospital, and have regular studio hours there. A pet hotel or groomer may also be a good bet. Finding enough clients to make a living will be difficult, otherwise.
Go to the Photography page at this site.

Re: Hook up with a pet related business ... - 05/09/08 01:37 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I think it would be great if one of the "higher-class" pet spas / resorts would offer that sort of service.

I guess the question is how to break in. Maybe I just need to be more patient with this approach than with the rescues and such.

Thanks
Jim
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/09/08 02:09 PM

Hey Jim,
I think what you've done is an excellent way to get started in pet portraiture. So I'm not going to get into a lot of detail in this response other than to say that if you are good, the more portraits you do, the more you will get to do. It's axiomatic but absolutely true.

As for breeders and dog shows, there are some additional things you need to know. If you've never shown a dog, it's hard to know how they should be stacked and from which angle they should be shot. Most breeders want their breed positioned and photographed in particular ways. You need to know the "head" breeds so you know what to feature about those dogs (heads obviously). In short, you need to really understand each and every breed so you can emphasize what the breeders want to see.

The dog show world is all of the above plus a lot more. If you want to become a dog show photographer (the guys who take the win shots at shows) you need to know all the breeds intimately and how they should be stacked and from which angle they should be shot. You also need to be able to sell your services to show chairmen. This is a highly political process not unlike the entire world of dog-showing. Once you've been able to get a show contract, you need to be able to do the work: cover 8-10 rings simultaneously when they finish judging a breed when they all finish at approximately the same time. And then you need to understand the business end of what you do with those images in order to get paid.

The shooting part is not as easy as it looks and you have to have credibility with the handlers who can make or break you in the ring. So, unless you have experience as a show person, you might want to think twice about this niche.

On the other hand, great pet portraits require good technique and a good eye for how those pets should look and you clearly have both of those talents. And, frankly, that's where the $$$ potential is although the market is harder to identify and promote to. But, as I said, you've made a good start.

Jim

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/09/08 02:16 PM

Thanks Jim.

My family did some showing (Shelties) when I was young, but I won't claim to remember anything about it.

It sounds like I need to do a lot more research before going knocking at show doors.

Thanks again,
Jim
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/09/08 02:45 PM

I would like to add just a small piece of advice. Develop your own unique style. Obviously there are essential points as Jim pointed out with specific jobs but I'm speaking in general. I think you need something that sets you apart from all the others running around with cameras. This advice was given to me and I initially thought "what the heck can I do"? I surfed the web, read a ton of books looking for something. I have found when you love what you are doing you will develop that style. Try to show something that has an impact. Understand your clients needs and wants. Then go with it. I still do not do this for the money. Someday it would be nice post retirement but for now I do this for the love of pets and meeting people, and giving them something that will last far beyond their pets time. When you give them the finished product and you see the emotion in their eyes, that beats the heck out of the check from my perspective....
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/09/08 02:47 PM

oh and one last point. As a result of this approach clients are not banging down the door but I am getting a steady flow from word of mouth. And by the way, I've had the majority tip beyond what I charge.... Kinda interesting.

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/09/08 02:56 PM

Thanks Bob,

I'm seeing a style start to take form.

On those occasions where I have time to experiment rather than just get the shot that puts the most dog in the frame for a limited space site (one of the groups limits their pictures to 250 pixels) I experiment as much as I can.

This weekend I worked with 42 dogs over two locations and four hours and took 800+ images so there wasn't a lot of time to play, but I have a couple standing gigs that I can play all I want with.
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/10/08 02:36 AM

Jim; I have followed a similar path getting involved in Pet Photography. After some research, I have decided not to get involved in show photography, except to help a fellow photographer with candids and such.

I agree the rescue and SPCA organizations are a wonderful way to help and get experience.

Mostly, I have had the most luck by "word of mouth" and meeting folks with pets. The other day I gave a lady riding a horse one of my post cards; turns out she teaches Dog Obedience School and I have been hired to do Obedience School graduation photos. I plan to do the graduation photos similar to little league team photos; a group photo (dogs plus owners) and an individual photo of each dog. It will not be a huge money maker but will get my name out. The horse rider also works at a local vet. clinic and she will put my post cards there along with photos of her dogs, cats, birds and horses.

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 12:53 AM

Thanks. I'm thinking word of mouth will do for now as it looks like I have at least two major events a month from June to October.

I've actually thought about the photos for trainers too. I think there could be a good relationship there.

Photographer tells customer with a rowdy dog where to get training and trainer tells folks how to memorialize their newly well behaved pet in a nice portrait.

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 01:33 AM

Jim,
I am personally offended by this post. You used the term
Quote:

rowdy dog

I own a dog named Rowdy and I object to this capricious use of the term. This is a dog named Rowdy.

And this is a rowdy dog:

There is simply no comparison

Jim

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 12:48 PM

I stand corrected
Posted By: Julie

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 01:57 PM

Jim, I would not tell someone to take their dog to training. Part of being a pet photographer is being able to deal with those spoiled spastic animals. The owner is not unhappy with the behavior of the pet. It is like telling a mother their kid is a brat and a good spanking might cure their problems

I had two, sweet, but spastic standard poodles in my studio and I think they were one of the toughest clients I have had. I did manage to get some really nice shots of them. It took awhile and I had to have a lot of patience to let them wind down first.

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 02:21 PM

Yeah, Jim, seriously you may be tempted to lecture but our job as photographers is to deal with the dog the way it is. Most owners don't understand the training issues and most think their pet is perfect the way it is.

We met a Boston Terrier last evening that the owners want me to photograph. They think he's just the sweetest, nicest dog in the whole world. He growled at Linda and was afraid of me. To put that in context, that is only the second dog that has ever growled at Linda in the 40 years that I've known her and no dog is ever afraid of me. So, I layed on the floor and lured him with little bits of dog food until he finally was comfortable enough to come over to me and let me pet him.

He's still going to be a challenge because his owners have spoiled him beyond even my capabilities (and that is truly saying a lot ) But by the time we left, the dog was finally reacting to my ping pong mouth noises with great "ears".

My job was to get him to be comfortable with me. I've really never had to work at that and it was difficult to play down my dominance but that's sometimes what it takes.

It makes you appreciate the ones that are well-trained and confident. Those are the ones that are a joy to photograph.

Jim

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 06:02 PM

Oh I definitely wouldn't say anything like "man, your mutt really needs obedience training." But I'd like to be ready to recommend a trainer should the inquire.

I know that "correcting" someone's dog is akin to trying discipline someone else's child. :O

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/11/08 11:53 PM

Hmmmm. Well I guess I've broken that commandment more than once .

I feel that in my venue, I'm in charge. I get to order the owner around; I get to tell the dog/cat what I want from them. And, most importantly, I'm qualified to do so. I've trained hundreds of dogs over the years. I've handled -- in the ring -- several dozen more. So when I give a dog a command on my set, it is to be obeyed. And most owners know it.

Yes, I do respect the relationship between the owner and the dog. But, frankly, most owners have no idea how to pose a dog; how to bait a dog; how to tell a dog to do anything. You can see it in the eyes of the owners and, more importantly, in the eyes of the dogs. When the dogs meet me, they understand that I will ask them to do things and they have a strong need to please me. That's how you get good pictures.

So, I guess I'm guilty of violating your law. But I intend to keep doing it.

Jim

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/12/08 12:14 AM

There are no laws

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 05/12/08 02:39 PM

I wanted to come back to this after I had a good night's sleep. At first, I couldn't reconcile the:

Quote:

Yeah, Jim, seriously you may be tempted to lecture but our job as photographers is to deal with the dog the way it is. Most owners don't understand the training issues and most think their pet is perfect the way it is.

and

Quote:

I feel that in my venue, I'm in charge. I get to order the owner around; I get to tell the dog/cat what I want from them. And, most importantly, I'm qualified to do so. I've trained hundreds of dogs over the years. I've handled -- in the ring -- several dozen more. So when I give a dog a command on my set, it is to be obeyed. And most owners know it.

sentiments, but now I think my wording my have confused the issue.

I'm not talking about telling someone their dog is a brat for sure, but I'm also not talking about letting the dog run crazy during the session.

I did a lot of informal training of SPCA dogs and still do a lot formal training of my own. Outside of the extreme "you need professional help" cases, I can train most dogs for sit, down & stay for long enough to get a good image if time in the session permits. I can even do it without it looking like formal training to the owner if I really need to.

If the dog thinks it is having fun, that's pretty much all that matters (in a simplified way of course )

But say I have good images of my own dogs in great poses and the owner asks about how to get them trained to be such great models. I could then whip out the card of a trainer that I know. Hopefully there would be some reciprocity, but if not, it really is not hurting me at all. Plus, next time around I might end up with a CGC in front of the camera

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 04/17/10 02:05 PM

Wow, has it really been two years?
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 04/21/10 05:09 PM

Time just kind of zooms by doesn't it?

Diana

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 04/22/10 02:17 AM

Quote:

Time just kind of zooms by doesn't it?

Not always. Like today at the ARC National when I took approximately 5 portraits during the day and then, once Futurity, Veterans Sweepstakes, Sweepstakes and Carting were completed, I took more than 50 formals in less than an hour. Long day! That last minute crush -- when everyone is trying to get out of the show venue, get showered and dressed and out to dinner -- is tremendously stressful. But we handled it with some humor and lots of fast results. I'm exhausted! Linda did a tremendous job managing the horde and our friend Kimm -- a professional handler -- did a great job baiting the puppies.

When we were not so busy, I showed Max in Carting Started and he did everything perfectly -- including the last exercise: a 2 minute, 30 second down stay. Unfortunately, the exercise calls for a 3-minute down stay so we DQ'd. But I could not be more proud of Mr. Max. He did everything I asked him to do despite having never showed in this venue before and only broke his "stay" because the boys on either side were giving him the "evil eye". Max stood up just to let them know how big he really is. And, that's very big. He never went to the other boys and I doubt they'll ever eyeball him again .

Yes, time flies. And we learn a lot but never as much as we think we have.

Jim
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 04/22/10 03:56 AM

Quote:

Not always. Like today at the ARC National when I took approximately 5 portraits during the day and then, once Futurity, Veterans Sweepstakes, Sweepstakes and Carting were completed, I took more than 50 formals in less than an hour. ...

Jim

LOL, yeah I bet that last rush was exhausting!

And I know what you mean about "learning a lot". I remember figuring out in grad school that the more you learn, the more you realize you don't know much. It goes for many endeavors...

Diana

Re: Advice on breaking into the pet world - 04/22/10 11:23 AM

Quote:

Amen!

Congrats on a successful show!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum