The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Puppy Pics

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Puppy Pics - 05/19/08 03:06 PM

Well, OK, maybe that's a little misleading but I do have some pre-birth puppy pics to share with you. This first one was taken by somebody other than me . We Xrayed Cassidy last Thursday and this is a part of that Xray. If you look real closely, you can see some circular light areas which are actually skulls. We counted 8 puppies in her ever-expanding belly. Last litter was 9 so that should be about right and there might be one or two hiding behind the ones we were able to count.

With the delivery date projected for this Wednesday, we converted part of my studio/office into a whelping/puppy room and put together the whelping box. Here are a couple of photos of it and where it sits in the room.

And here's a shot of Cassidy checking it out to make sure it's set up the way she wants it. She did approve of everything so now it's just a matter of waiting for the blessed event.

Because the box is in the studio, it'll be fairly easy to get some decent puppy shots as they're being born and afterwards. So stay tuned to this channel as they say.

Jim
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/19/08 04:14 PM

Looking good. Only a couple days to go. We'll be anxiously awaiting pictures of little fuzzy puppies.
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/19/08 05:24 PM

Very cool Jim. Brings me back to my Black Lab we had as part of our family for 18 years, her name was Blue. She had one litter when young. My setup was no where near as elaborate as yours, our was a refrigerator box. She would never enter the box until that night. She went in and started the process. She ended up having 10 pups, 5 male & 5 female. She took a break after exactly 5, went out to do her business (which we kept a close eye on of course) then came back and had the other 5. When she passed away at 18, we buried her ashes under a new Nellie Stevens Holly tree and because she loved Christmas so much, we decorate the tree every year with blue lights. Her stocking gets hung every year still also. A long story but this is exactly how I got into Pet Photography. We never had a real nice portrait of her.

Anyway, can't wait to see the pups!

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/19/08 08:18 PM

Bob,
great story! This will be Cassidy's second (and last) litter and she's not quite that great at the birthing thingy. Last time she had 9 and was pretty reasonable about it starting at 2:30 in the afternoon. But she got pretty tired at the end and we had to help the last ones come down the tube.

But she nurses well and is really buttoned down when it comes to cleaning the little devils -- of course, we don't really leave that to chance either. Instinct is one thing but mandatory work assignments are much more effective .

I look at Sundance and can't believe he was the size of my hand 16 months ago. He's now 130 lbs. and can't wait to have puppies to play with. I think we'll wait until there is no fear of him stepping on them.

We'll send photos once the blessed event is over.

Jim
Posted By: pawprintz

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/20/08 10:39 AM

wow, that box is huge i was wondering when those puppies were coming!! can't wait to watch them grow.

good luck cassidy!

liz
Posted By: julief

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/20/08 10:50 AM

Jim -- just great. I've looked at a lot of pre-whelp x-rays, so it's easy for me to see those skulls. Can't wait to see pups. You're absolutely right. When I look at my kids, I can't hardly believe when they were born they were essentially the size of their muzzles. In my last litter, I had 4 that weighed 1.5# and 2 that weighed 1.25#. Can't believe that 6 months later, Canon weighs over 100#.

I love your whelping box. I've got to build a new box and I like your construction and materials. What are the dimensions? Do you have some type of door that goes across the front for when the little scrapers decide to escape the box? What is the flooring material inside the box? How do you connect the corners? And, I love the colored squares. Great idea. Do you have a tarp under them? What's Cassidy's due date?

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/20/08 12:04 PM

Julie,
the box is just sides with the flooring being a complex arrangement of various materials. It screws together and unscrews so it's easy to store. The pegboard is nice because it ventilates the space. We put pipe insulation sleeves over the edges to make them soft. The door slides open and closed.

It's 7.5 feet by 5.5 feet. We felt the standard large dog whelping boxes weren't big enough for the puppies especially since we tend to have large litters and large bitches. So this one was custom-designed by Linda. It sits on a platform which we built because since the last litter, we put down a walnut-stained maple floor in the studio so we have to protect it. First there's a rubber-backed carpet turned upside down. Then there is an 8' by 8' platform built from 3/4 inch plywood on 1X3s. On top of that is plastic wrap, the rubber puzzle pieces, a layer of baby underpads, and a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting. We have 3 pieces of that carpeting and we change it and the underpads at least 2X a day.

For whelping, we'll put down newspaper as well 'cuz that's the easiest way to clean things up. The box is in the studio because that's the easiest place to regulate temps and to close off to the rest of the house. Plus it has a large window at the opposite end of the room through which we pass the puppies when it's time for them to go outside. Plus, I can get some work done when I'm on "puppy duty".

Cassidy was showing some signs yesterday of being ready but she slept on the bed last night and was pretty quiet. The kids are still moving around a lot so I think it'll be tomorrow night. That's my guess anyway. But we're not leaving her alone just to be safe.

Sundance is trying to get some mommy's milk in a classic de ja vu effort to go back to his beginnings . Mom is being very patient with the oversized butthead! His head grew more over the last few weeks so I need to post some updates.

I'll post baby pics for real when Cassidy has delivered her puppy pile.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/21/08 05:53 PM

Well, Cassidy was nice enough to start the whelping process at 7:30 this morning. Now, some 5.5 hours later, she's produced 8 puppies, 6 boys and 2 girls. All are between 14 and 17 oz but one girl who is 9 oz but eats like a valociraptor.

Cassidy is doing well but we're going to give her a shot of Oxytocin in a few minutes to get her to expel the one retained placenta. And, if there are any more puppies in there, that should get them going as well.

Here's a shot of the brave boy who first made the journey into this strange new world: Red Boy who weighed in at 16.3 oz. He has a huge head and we've nicknamed him Sundance Jr.

And here are two pics of the entire litter. Please note, they are feeding on two tiers so some are under the others .

I'll do individual photos later after everyone has had some food -- including the puppies again.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/21/08 05:56 PM

OH how precious! The moment we've all been waiting for. Congrats

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/21/08 09:24 PM

Awesome! They look great and congratulations Jim and Cassidy!

Good thing I have a grandson or I would have been scratching my head wondering what the heck a velociraptor is.........

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/21/08 11:19 PM

i want mr or ms purple!!
gorgeous pups, congrats!! it will be fun watching them grow!

liz
Posted By: PossumCorner

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/22/08 12:04 AM

Congratulataion to everyone - dogs and people. Beautiful babies, looking out now for the individual shots when they come. Hope the "little" one makes up the ground.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/22/08 12:15 AM

They are just adorable! Congratulations on the big healthy litter!
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/22/08 12:34 AM

How fun for you! Congratulations. Hope all are super winners.

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/22/08 01:01 AM

Ms Pink has already put on an ounce of weight which is quite unusual during the first few hours when the puppies generally lose a few tenths. She's strong, determined and not at all fragile. She's just small. So she crawls on top of the big boys to get her nipple and won't let go until she's pried off. Don't worry -- this little girl will grow up just fine.

The rest of the litter is very strong and all of them are nursing like champs. Cassidy is falling into her rhythm and so are Linda and I. These first two weeks are the toughest in terms of sleep but we love puppies and it's never a hardship to lay next to Cassidy in the box and let them snuggle with us when they've stopped nursing.

More photos tomorrow. Right now we're trying to get a few hours sleep so we can monitor the every-two-hour feedings all night long.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/22/08 05:44 PM

Thanks PeggySue. Happy & healthy is all we ask for. The Ch will take care of themselves if the litter fulfills its potential.

Here are a few more pics from last night's feedings -- every 2 hours all night long!!!! The first two are of the smaller guys in the litter, Ms Pink . . .

And Mr. Lt Blue . . .

Both of these guys are nursing strongly and we'll begin to supplement them with goat's milk today. But they're doing great.

This is a shot of the "big boys" of the litter, Mr. Teal, Mr. Plum, Mr. Red and Mr. Lt Green, aka "The Lunkers".

That's Linda's finger tickling Mr. Red's belly. And this is a close-up of Mr. Plum who right now is looking very nice -- but so is Mr. Lt. Green (Sundance's color) and Mr. Red.

I'm going to try to find some shots of Sundance at this early stage from the last litter pics and compare them with this crew. Tomorrow, it's off to the vets to get a basic checkup and tail docking. So, probably no more puppy pics until the weekend.

Jim
Posted By: julief

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/23/08 01:59 PM

Big congrats, Jim. The pics just brought tears to my eyes. If there's anything more precious than puppies, I don't know what it is. Absolutely beautiful. I like purple boy and he's already wearing championship colors!! No sleep for you guys now!! My last litter I set a kitchen timer every 15 minutes, so over the first 36 hours, I must have gotten about an hour's sleep. You are lucky there are two of you. Give Cassidy and all the puppies a huge kiss for me.
Posted By: MartaA

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/23/08 04:30 PM

ConGRatulations Jim!
Journal every moment, it goes so fast!
8 weeks for us this Sunday, and I just can't believe it!
Best of luck with them!

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/25/08 05:04 PM

i just love mr plum!
hope they did well over the weekend, post more pictures please!!

liz

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/25/08 07:42 PM

Well, if you insist . . .

First, we rolled the pups out into the large whelping box this afternoon and I updated some of the pics for the owner of the stud dog. Here's Ms Yellow snoozing.

Mr. Lt Green (aka Sundance Jr.) using one of his new toys as a pillow.

Mr. Red & Mr. Green pairing off.

Likewise for Prof. Plum and Mr. Teal.

And Ms Pink and Mr Lt Blue discussing the Sunday comics.

Yesterday, the kids were visited by a couple of friends. This is 17-year-old Melanie holding Ms Pink so her mom, Cassidy, can clean her.

And 5-year-old Serenity holding Prof. Plum for his first formal portrait.

Things have started to slow down for Linda and me as well now that we can wait 3 hrs between meals. That gives us each a chance to let the other sleep 6 hours and that makes all the difference.

Meanwhile, I'll keep updating as the pups start to interact more and get more mobile. They are a very good pile of puppies and we are delighted with them overall.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/25/08 07:59 PM

thanks for the pictures jim!
professor plum is my pick...what a chunker! what lens are you using for these shots...looks like your puppy room gets lots of light!

thanks,
liz

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/25/08 09:45 PM

Liz,
my puppy room is actually the end of the studio so I'm bouncing my AB 400s off of the ceiling for even illumination and these last shots were taken with my 85 F1.8 at F6.3.

I like Prof. Plum, Mr Red and Mr Lt Green a lot right now -- they're kinda like triplets. Ms Yellow is also very pretty and a real chunk. I really like this litter and can't wait until they get old enough to really see what they look like.

On the other hand, I don't want to rush things. They are so incredible at this stage. Gosh, I love puppies!!!!

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/25/08 10:58 PM

Oh how cute! I wish I could have more, but four is enough with one that is paralyzed. That's OK though, I get to look at these

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/28/08 08:03 PM

OK, guys, it's been exactly a week and it's time to update the puppy pics. The kids have all packed on the ounces with an average gain of over 11 oz in the past week. Everyone is over 20 oz currently with some very chunky monkeys in at over 27 oz. Mr. Lt Green, you know who I'm talking about . Our smallest, Ms Pink, is now 20.5 oz. Eyes still closed but they're more mobile and seem to be handling Cassidy's milk quite well. So, without further adieu, here are the evil eight.

First up, Ms Yellow followed by Ms Pink. FYI Ms Yellow is the second largest puppy overall.

Next, it's the triplets: Mr. Red, Mr. Lt. Green and Professor Plum.

And lastly, the three "normal" boys: Mr. Teal, Mr. Lt. Blue and Mr. Green.

Next milestone should be eyes and ears opening and that should happen over the weekend. Then all heck breaks loose! More later.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/29/08 08:17 PM

They all look fantastic, and I absolutely refuse to show my wife! We would be on our way to Florida so no way! We, like Jim Poor, also have 4 and one has Addisons (our little white chihuahua). He has had since 18 months and he's 9 yrs old and has done great but no more! 2 miniature Dachshunds and 2 Chihuahuas keep us hopping.

Keep posting Jim, fun watching them grow....
Posted By: Visceral Image

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/29/08 11:34 PM

I am really loving this series, Jim; you have such a beautiful family of dogs and puppies.

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/30/08 02:05 AM

great pics! glad the pups are doing well can't wait to see them up and around!

liz

Re: Puppy Pics - 05/30/08 11:47 AM

Bob,
I really think one of our "teacup Rotties" would be a perfect match for your brood. Of course, there is the potential for some growth. Sundance currently weighs 135 lbs at 16 months!!

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/08/08 10:45 AM

hey jim

if you have more time, post some more pictures...i'm dying to see how the pups are growing.

i used to joke about my rottie being a teacup (actually i called her a pocket rottie LOL)...she was all of 65lbs. i miss her so much.

liz

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/08/08 11:58 AM

Liz,
well they're now 2 weeks old, eyes and ears are open, they're toddling around the whelping box like drunken prize-fighters and are growing like weeds -- well more like crab grass!

All the pups are over 3 lbs including Ms Pink. The whelping room sounds like an outtake from Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. Cassidy is reporting that they are starting to push through some little teeth. Although she didn't use the term "little". And we're starting to see some personalities developing.

Overall, we're very pleased with the litter. It appears to be very consistent and all the pups have lovely bone and head structure -- but it's way too early to tell for sure.

So, here are the evil eight in birth order:

first up, Mr. Red.

Followed by Mr. Teal who was the first on his feet and the first to open his eyes.

Professor Plum. Obviously impressed by this whole portrait thing.

Ms Pink looking petite and lovely.

Mr Green the noisy one!

Ms Yellow who is anything but petite at a chunky 3 lbs 2.6 oz.

Mr. Lt. Blue one of our favorites at the moment.

And Mr. Lt. Green who is one of Cassidy's favorites.

The litter has come through one of the first "fear" periods without any problems and is now getting to the level of mobility where we'll have to move them into the kitchen during the day to give them enough room to roam. We'll probably start to wean them next weekend -- those teeth are going to make it more difficult to convince Cassidy to enter the whelping box.

This is when things start to get to be real fun: I can't describe how cool it is to go into the box first thing in the morning and watch them wake up and then scurry over for their morning group-hug. Pretty soon they'll respond with ear and nose nibbles. Puppies are just very cool.

More later in the week. Liz, hope this gives you your puppy fix for now.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/08/08 01:29 PM

Jim, absolutely amazing and adorable. I'm still looking for that tea cup that would fit them even at 2 weeks, much less when full grown!

By the way, some priceless shots as well!

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/08/08 03:51 PM

They are so cute and growing so fast!! I really enjoyed the puppies at my house. They were really a feel good thing. I didn't enjoy getting up to let them out really early, but, I LOVED the early puppy stage when I could cuddle them in my shirt and they would be still

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/11/08 10:25 PM

Well, today marks their third week anniversary and they were visited by our friend Jessica, her sister, her daughter Serenity and her nephew. The puppies had 2 hrs. of constant companionship in the whelping box and they played -- and slept -- and played -- and slept some more.

I continue to be amazed at the puppies' response to people. At this point in their development, they are just figuring out how to interact with each other and their mom. People are generally not on the list of species to relate to but these guys really love people. This first shot is of Jessica with Mr. Lt Green and Mr Teal. They seem to be saying "wow. Have we hit the jackpot!"

Serenity fell in love with Ms Pink and it appears that it was a reciprocal emotion. Serenity and Ms Pink.

The puppies have started taking milk supplement in addition to draining Ms Cassidy every 5 hrs. We are moving to more milk supplement and less Cassidy in order to start the weaning process. Once we get the bowl with the gruel down and have them wading in it, I'll send pics. Believe me, you'll enjoy it almost as much as we will.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/11/08 11:43 PM

they're lookin great! what chunkers...what do 3wk old rotties weigh in at?

i'll have to post some puppy pictures too...went to go visit my great grandbullies on sunday (10 days old) & got a few nice pictures. wish i had the lighting you do!

liz

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 12:22 AM

Liz,
at 3 weeks, the pups range in weight from 4 lbs 2.7 oz to 3 lbs 8 oz. They are all very fit and very strong. And all very good eaters.

Right now, the largest pup is Lt Blue who is also the prettiest overall with the nicest headpiece. Ms Pink is the smallest but very pretty with a lovely headpiece. Ms Yellow is a very solid chunk at 3 lbs. 12 oz and is also lovely.

What impresses me most is their reaction to outside stimulus. They love people in general and are not afraid of anybody who handles them. That's great!!!!! We are very happy with them in terms of overall temperament at this early stage.

To watch them fall asleep on people they've never met before is really an amazing thing. That level of trust is what we breed for. I'm very impressed. Plus, I happen to love these pups but then I tend to love all puppies . But these guys are really very special.

More to come,

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 01:54 AM

See now that's the problem. I would have to hire the FBI to do a complete background check on potential new moms and dads. Even with that I'd be a wreck waving goodbye. You're a brave man Jim!

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 11:42 AM

Bob,
and what makes you think that my selection process is more lenient than the FBI's ???

First of all, I demand that all potential puppy owners visit the puppies at least once when they are very young so they can not only see them but so we can see how they are overall with dogs in general and Rotties in particular. Don't forget that I have some pretty good judges of people in my home.

I also ask all potential buyers to fill out a questionnaire which tells me the important things about them including where they intend to keep the pups, what type of training they expect to do, what their experience is, etc. We try not to sell our Rotties to people with no experience in Rotties. We have found that, in general, people with experience make better owners with less problems for us down the line.

We don't step out of the process once the puppies are out of our home. Our puppy contracts have built-in check points at 3 months of age, 6 months and 12 months so we can see how the pups are doing and also how the owners are doing with the pups. Plus, we provide a place to leave the pups when folks go on vacation and counseling for training or behavioral problems (both the pups and the owners ).

We spend 8 weeks of our time with these puppies and we bond to them very closely. Every dog we have ever bred runs up to us and covers us with kisses when we see them even if we haven't seen them in years. They know we will always love them.

So, buying a puppy from us is similar to dating my teenage daughter (which I don't have thank goodness). You have to be over-qualified just to get in the door.

More pics to come,

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 07:52 PM

I don't know you from Adam but I have to say, I have incredible respect for you and just hope someday I have the opportunity to shake your hand. You're obviously a hell of a guy! I typically end up in Orlando at least once a year in May for a large conversion for the company I work for. I'll have to look you up if at all possible. My wife sometimes comes, as does my 4 year old grandson and we hang out and do the Disney thing afterwards.
Look forward to seeing more shots!

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 09:57 PM

Bob,
thanks and I'd love to meet up with you guys when you come down. We have a friend who works at Disney so maybe we can sneak you guys into a park or two while you're here.

I'll send more pics and thanks very much for the compliment. We try to be responsible. We don't breed to sell puppies; we breed because we have been very fortunate to get some very nice dogs in our home and while the world does not need more Rottweilers, it sure could use a few more good ones. So we try to do that. Carefully. The way we think it should be done. And we are in a position to be able to do it that way which is somewhat unique.

When you're here, you will have to meet our guys. I think you'll enjoy them. I know they'll enjoy you.

Jim

PS we occasionally find ourselves in North Carolina for some shows -- Rowdy actually finished there in Pinehurst. So if we're going to be traveling that way, I'll let you know and we can plan to meet for dinner.
Posted By: domnrem

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 10:50 PM

Oh, congratulations! Great photos and the pups are gorgeous!

Celeste

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 11:41 PM

So Jim, we would love to meet up for dinner and if you end up in North Carolina prior to making a purchase, you can test out my 40D! By the way, I posted some info in the other threat on the comparison of my 40D and my 5D. Hope it's helpful.....

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/12/08 11:57 PM

Thanks Celeste. There will be more as these guys continue to develop. Puppies are such fun. I was just sitting with Ms Pink in my arms and both Annie Fay (great grandma) and Rowdy (grandpa) came over to give her an ear lick. Sweet.

Take care,

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/13/08 01:08 PM

Yesterday, we had some folks over for updated baby pictures (human baby) and everyone wanted to see the puppies so while I was setting up for the shoot in the family room, they were playing with the puppies in the studio. When I went in, I noticed the pups were in the process of planning their escape.

First pic is of Mr. Lt Green telling Ms Pink et al that he'll distract the lady while they make a break for it.

The second pic is after the potential escapees were caught in the act. Mr. Lt Green is saying "who, me?" and Ms Pink has decided to eat the box rather than climbing over the side.

These guys are really getting cute and developing personalities. They are a fun group -- a sentiment not necessarily shared by mom, Cassidy. The teeth have made her less than enthusiastic about going into the box to feed.

Thought you'd enjoy a quick update.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/13/08 03:24 PM

So incredibly cute!
Jim, have you thought about individual portrait shots that could be included as a gift to each new parent?

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/13/08 05:24 PM

Bob,
we give a small album to each "parent" along with the papers, instructions and shot records. Which is one of the reasons I take so many during their growth stages.

Starting in a few weeks when they begin eating real food, I'll actually try to stack them (which is always a source of incredible laughter in this house) and we'll do head studies. The show owners like to have them for those times they go through the "uglies" at 4 months, 15 months, etc. All puppies go through some really ugly growth stages and it's difficult to remember when they were cute or to believe that they will someday be gorgeous again. So it's nice to have a record.

I have a lot of early Sundance pictures to show people so they can see what he looked like at various stages. They see him now and go "wow, that's a pretty boy!" Which he is but he hasn't always been .

Jim
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/13/08 08:18 PM

Oh my this last shot could make anybody melt. What cute pups!

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/14/08 12:48 AM

I knew it was a great idea!
:-)
Posted By: ConnieM

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/14/08 01:42 AM

The pups look very nice....I like the heads on them!!!
Can't wait to see stacked shots.......awwwww puppy breath!!!!

Connie

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/14/08 11:41 AM

Bob,
here's a series of pictures of Sundance from the last litter -- I did the same for each of the puppies. First, Sundance at 2 weeks of age.

And again at 4 weeks.

Six weeks.

And 8 weeks.

And, finally, at 12 weeks of age.

And this is Sundance today at 17 months of age.

If you look through the puppy pictures, you can see glimpses of where that head came from but if you looked at his 12 week old picture, you would wonder if he'd ever get a head. Such is the development of puppies. You have to be patient when they go through those inevitable ugly stages and try to remember the way they looked at 8 weeks. That's probably how they'll look when they are fully mature. For Sundance, that means we'll have to wait until he's 12 years old .

Anyway, more puppy pics coming this weekend. It's time for me to do head studies for the potential show owners.

Jim
Posted By: domnrem

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/14/08 12:55 PM

What a treat for the new puppy owners- - not only to have the puppy photos but such great quality photos as well.

They are so adorable, really enjoying all the photos myself!

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/14/08 10:02 PM

What a great series. That is really nice to have. I think I would create a large collage from the stages and make a large print to hang.

Next post from Jim "I did that and I made it even better by............"

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 12:10 AM

OK, OK. That's a great idea. I'll suggest it to Linda and we'll see how many she feels like doing . In the past, we put together actual photo albums and CD slide shows but we haven't done collages and it's a great idea.

Thanks Bob.

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 12:49 AM

:-)

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 12:50 AM

By the way, I would include the Dad of this litter if possible and a group shot of the new kids!

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 10:53 AM

Bob,
so, he casually says, "I'd include a group shot of these kids" as if taking a shot of 8 squirming, screaming puppies all in the same place at the same time is something we do every day!!!

I actually had a group shot planned for yesterday but things got a bit out of control with several unplanned visits to help "socialize" the puppies. I usually do a basket shot -- kinda like this one with Sundance giving me that "you've got to be kidding look".

But I'd like to do something a little different and cuter with this crew. Got any ideas?

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 11:40 AM

wow, I'll have to think about that and engage Terrie (my wife) to see if any ideas crop up. That would be a tough shot to beat in terms of "cuteness". She looks like a little bear cub! Great shot.

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 02:24 PM

OMG!! that is just way too cute.
for 8 pups, what about a red wagon? everyone is a sucker for puppies in a red wagon! or stick them all in buckets/pails for a beach theme? lol good luck!!

thanks for sharing the pictures & keep them coming!!

liz

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 08:38 PM

Today was formal portrait day 'cuz I owed the buyers some close-ups of the heads of these puppies. I like to show both the profile of the head as well as a head-on pose just to see things like how the head planes look (angle of top of head should parallel muzzle plane). At this point, it's still too early to tell much but that these kids are very consistent. The profiles are virtually identical and if I changed ribbons, we probably couldn't tell more than 3 of them from the others.

Here's the first group of head studies.

Here's the second batch.

And here's a shot of Sundance meeting his namesake from this litter (Sundance was the Lt Green boy in Cassidy's last litter). Notice his head planes.

Enjoy,

Jim

Re: Puppy Pics - 06/15/08 10:31 PM

So cute so cute so cute!!! You can really see Sundance's head in the 8w photo.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum