The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Bassets

Posted By: Visceral Image

Bassets - 06/29/08 10:19 PM

Yesterday was my first attempt shooting a group of dogs. My ex repeatedly told me I am an extremist; I guess jumping into six dogs at once is a bit extreme. All were bassets and all belong to one family. Not the best photo but I think it is an acceptable first attempt. I did clone out the parents from the background that we helping to keep the mobile slugs in one place.

All comments welcome

Attached picture 16230-basset020246.jpg

Re: Bassets - 06/29/08 10:20 PM

I also did some individual pictures, here is one that I liked.

Attached picture 16231-basset020282.jpg

Re: Bassets - 06/29/08 10:21 PM

One last one of a Basset that needs an eyebrow lift.

Attached picture 16232-basset020258.jpg
Posted By: domnrem

Re: Bassets - 06/29/08 11:02 PM

6 Dogs is something all right! I like # 2 best and the group picture is fun!

I have a friend with about 5 unruly Bassets (her description) I would like to practice with- - I would love to hear details- - how did it go, organization-wise ?!

Celeste
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Bassets - 06/30/08 12:19 AM

John,
the fact that you got an image of all six is a moral victory; the image itself is actually quite good.

Bassetts are very cool guys and they tend not to get too excited which helps. The individual shots are very nice as well. I hope it was just as much fun as it was hard work.

Jim

Re: Bassets - 06/30/08 12:24 AM

Celeste;

We started with the group picture; that was a good idea because the dogs were most willing to work together when they first arrived. Soon after arrival, they started taking turns napping. The owners helped me position them but I have learned I really need a trained helper.

Six bassets fill the full width of a wide roll of paper; and they ruin about 6 feet of it with footprints.

Individual pictures were much easier because I used a fabric covered coffee table. The dogs actually wanted to get on the coffee table to be photographed. Maybe it would have worked better if I have constructed a 8 ft stage for posing the dogs-it was truly a challenge to keep six bassets on the paper and facing the camera-getting them to look at me was even more difficult.

Re: Bassets - 06/30/08 12:28 AM

Quote:

John,
Bassetts are very cool guys and they tend not to get too excited which helps.

I hope it was just as much fun as it was hard work.

Jim

Indeed, bassets do not get to excited but they can be very stubborn and difficult to "encourage" into position.

Fun? Yes, it was a blast. I absolutely love this breed; heck, I love all animals. Working with animals is my niche; I just need to get more paying customers to help with the expenses.

I have another photo session in a week: this time two children and two bassets.
Posted By: pawprintz

Re: Bassets - 07/01/08 10:50 PM

great job, love the 6 of them!!

liz
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Bassets - 07/02/08 03:01 PM

nice job, 6 dogs is an accomplishment no matter what! The only thing I have to offer is I'd like to see the "high-key" shots done on slightly reflective plexi. I think the two portrait shots would look all the more stunning on plexi, and a slightly brighter background.

That's said, I'm not taking anything away from what you did accomplish, great job in my view. . .

Tony

Re: Bassets - 07/02/08 08:15 PM

Quote:

The only thing I have to offer is I'd like to see the "high-key" shots done on slightly reflective plexi. I think the two portrait shots would look all the more stunning on plexi, and a slightly brighter background.

Tony

Tony, interesting idea; I have seen product photography done with reflect. plexi and I have done some jewelry with same, but never pets. Any ideas how to do this (what type plexi and what color); one, the plexi will only be 8 ft wide and the 6 dogs were wider than 8 ft (well, could have been shoveled together a bit more to fit into 8 ft but then it was hard enough doing them at 9 ft); plexi would only be 4 ft deep-how to keep out the edge lines? It would be fairly easy doing one dog as they are on a coffee table; a half sheet of plexi would do the coffee table.

Tony, how do you suggest handling the massive paw prints, the shedding, the slobber, etc. Just food for thought-sometimes pet photography can have a whole host of challenges. Case in point; bassets slobber, shed hair and have huge dirty paws-even if washed that day. Lugging one into position is not to difficult but expecting him/her to stay put while I polish the plexi, vacuum or tape roll, etc is a bit much to envision.

You say a slightly brighter background, could you be more specific. I know you do not mean whiter as this is at 255; are you speaking of yellow or orange or similar.
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: Bassets - 07/03/08 02:31 PM

Hey Visceral, I've never seen dogs (particularly portraits) shot on plexi, I have seen models and fashion, and glamour shot on plexi and when I saw your shots I thought because of the keen subject, they would lend well to high key plexi. I believe the multi dog shot is doable on plexi, and I know the portraits are doable, it's just a matter of getting the right dog(s), the right lighting, and the time and energy to making it happen.

I don’t claim to know how it all would work, so it's a challenge to anyone who would try it. I'm pointing out what, in my mind would be interesting. In fact one might put hours of effort into making the shots only to have them turn out like junk – in time all of us do it a time or two (waist time with shots that never turn out). I can not tell you how many hours I have into getting one subject shot just they way I want it. To me, when you see those very unique shots, there often is a long story behind them starting with a vision, and ending with a huge commitment of time, talent and money.

More specifically, you point out some very challenging issues related to shooting slobbering dogs, and pets on plexi, or white for that matter, you also are identifying the difficulties of taking images to a different level no matter what your subject. I agree with you that unique shots take special care, attention, and often a huge commitment to the final product. In some cases it takes years of preparation before a single image worth keeping is ever captured. As mentioned before, most of us have shot some subjects many times over the course of a decade or more and put hundreds our hours into the process and still we don't have exactly what we are after. I think that helps keep us pushing and striving to capture the perfect shot.

I've used common everyday run of the mill home depot plexi, here's a product that I've never used, but it looks interesting,

http://www.backdropoutlet.com/catalog/pr...CFQ-kiQodsUGV0g

How to handle all the details and the potential problems like paw prints, is your challenge should you ever choose to accept it. In fact, now that you mention it, paw prints might actually work well in a horizontal image. I'd thin that a fan would keep the hair at bay, edge lines might be okay, they might not, you may need to get a bigger sheet of material, there are ways to do thing. In fact, you may even have to find a dog that is willing to walk on the plaxi, and that could take time.

What happens in my mind when I see a shot just happens, I did not stop to consider all of the possible issues related to dirt, slobber, and paw prints on plexi, but on the other hand none of it would stop me if I felt inclined, I'd figure out a way to do it, or at the very least wear myself out trying.

I expressed my gut reaction, maybe your studio is not set up for anything like it, and maybe it's too much effort and too costly, all which could be true with many other subjects. So, I don’t have all the answers, I saw a shot in my mind when I saw your pictures, and decided to post, maybe there is no way to do it, maybe there are too may obsticals, but I doubt it.

As for brighter backgrounds, I'm not a fan of white material scrunched up on the floor. . .. that's it, personal preference.

Thanks for your time and attention.

Tony Bynum
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Bassets - 07/03/08 03:50 PM

Ha . . . I posted right behind you in the other thread, so I'll put this here so it will make sense. . .

As for white backgrounds, I'm working on something portable based off of the videos and tutorials offered by Zack Arias. He has a series of nine posts so far and I expect more.

http://www.zarias.com/?cat=13

The tile board seems ideal for studio work. I think it would be easy to clean & shine up, and if it gets totally trashed, it is cheap enough.

If I can find something with similar properties as far as reflection that is portable I'd be thrilled. So far, the closest suggestion is Vinyl, but it is hard to find plain white with no patterns or textures.

Re: Bassets - 07/03/08 07:08 PM

Thanks so much Tony, I understand better you thought process. Now that I have a personal basset, I can certainly try some creative shots such as reflective plexi. I agree, it would be an experiment but well worth the effort. I very appreciate you vision.

I am not sure it would work for a paying customer until I worked out the "bugs" but I agree the look and effect would be stunning. I will give it a try.

I am a fan of white backgrounds and black backgrounds but I agree white material scrunched up on the floor is not the best foundation. This was my first effort with white fabric on the floor and I agree, I do not like it the way it turned out. More work to do in this area.

A couple days ago I read online about using 4x8 white boards for the base http://www.zarias.com/?p=77
Seems like a better approach.
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: Bassets - 07/04/08 12:49 AM

One thing I'm going to experiment with to keep the backdrop from bunching up is to use some scissor clamps to attach it to a stiffer material underneath the area that I will be placing the subject. I got some particle board to use for my last outing, but I ended up on a hard, non-slip surface that didn't really let the material slide much.

Oh, and one place where plexi would have an advantage over the tile boards would be in the case of a black (or any other color backdrop) as the color would show through the glass while still giving a nice reflection.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Bassets - 07/04/08 02:27 PM

Hey John,

Just wanted to say what a very cute shot this is. Very nicely done - great opportunity and nicely handled. The idea about trying out plexi is actually a very good one. The hair/drool is not that big a deal, IMO. The worst amounts can be handled with a bit of clone stamp - though I don't think you will really see that much...though with a basset, you might be surprised. They sure can drool.

James
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum