The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

collage challenge

Posted By: Peggy Sue

collage challenge - 11/02/08 02:00 AM

Hope all of you are working on some collages. I know the challenge was integrated into CC at 22 but I hope you are taking on the idea to try something new.
I started with this one today. We can do some critiques and then tell how we are creating them. Hopefully they will be posted by election day.
After voting of course!

Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: collage challenge - 11/03/08 02:00 PM

Hey Peggy Sue,

Spectacular. LOL, only because you are starting it, I am going to put together a collage from the pet shoots I did over the last two weeks tonight.

Cheers
James

Re: collage challenge - 11/05/08 05:27 AM

Although I do not see any of the collage creations out there, here is the start of another. When I pick the size of the image I want to work with, I will try to pick from several images that will convey different expressions. I also will add layers and check for images that will add different sizes so that all are not of the same volume.
I had hoped to have a discussion on how you might like to work with collages. I have enjoyed doing this in PS for almost 15 years. That number surprised me to think how long I have enjoyed this medium!
Hope to see some of your creations up too! And when this one is finished I will post it.
Congratulations to our new President elect!

Posted By: Robyn Shortt

Re: collage challenge - 11/05/08 01:16 PM

Hi.
Sometimes the images I make just fit into a collage easily, like the one below, but sometimes I really struggle.

It is harder when the client has specific images that they want to fit in the collage, I find. That was the case with this one:

Looking forward to seeing more ideas and discussion.

I added your photo(you need to right click on the photo and capture the photo address, not the url up top. It must end in jpg)

Your cat collage seems to be empty. There is only a spacer gif when you click on it

Re: collage challenge - 11/05/08 11:24 PM

The images of the pup are really lovely. The use of this is a good design. I would like to see a bit larger image of the one running toward us. Try overlapping some of the image so they may not look quite so dropped in.

I really do like the cat images. Since I like scrapbooking, this collage reminds me of that in a way. Again, maybe some overlapping might work here.

What do you like about them both and what gives you pause?
Posted By: Julie

Re: collage challenge - 11/06/08 01:56 PM

Those are hard to top Peggy

Here is a collage I did as a storyboard print

Re: collage challenge - 11/06/08 02:25 PM

Julie, I like the story board! I was hoping we could learn from each other on how we each approach the idea. I really enjoy the size. Makes me think out of the box of the usual standard shapes. Thanks

Re: collage challenge - 11/06/08 02:44 PM

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. The collages you've posted are really beautiful. What bothers me most about the cat collage is probably too many colors. I might like it better in black and white, but also the pieces do seem to be dropped in.

I really liked the storyboard too. What is the difference between a collage and a storyboard?
Thanks
Robyn

Re: collage challenge - 11/06/08 10:31 PM

A story board got is being from the graphic industry. My daughter in law is a graphic artist and she is brilliant at illustrating what the commercial, scene or whatever will be doing. They are long and narrow in layout sort of like a comic strip.
Julie might want to add what the photography industry is now adding to the sales lineup where you would put different expressions on a different narrow format. Great to add to the sales. Am I on track with you Julie?

Re: collage challenge - 11/07/08 12:02 AM

Robyn, hope it is okay to have played around with your image. This is what I tried to explain. As they say a photo is worth a $$$$$words

Re: collage challenge - 11/07/08 01:24 AM

Of course it's ok, and I do see what you mean; it makes the image much more dynamic, doesn't it?

And Julie thanks for bringing in the image for me, I will try with the next one:

Thanks again.
Robyn
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: collage challenge - 11/08/08 07:58 PM

Sigh. You guys are all show offs. Very well done!

James
Posted By: Jim Poor

Re: collage challenge - 11/10/08 09:27 PM

Not exactly a collage, but I did this to try to get the juices flowing:

Since it was done on a blue screen, I can put them just about anywhere I like.
I'm thinking about doing a sample composite for each of the competitors in the CFF event I did this weekend. Some actual show stuff and some posed stuff. I'll have to work on a few before I decide how soon I can roll out something like that. It may be something that I add to their galleries later, much much later.

Re: collage challenge - 11/10/08 10:41 PM

THis is reallllly fun! Has the owner seen this yet?

Re: collage challenge - 11/10/08 11:19 PM

She has the link to it, not sure if she's actually checked it out.

Re: collage challenge - 11/11/08 05:12 PM

Very nice ! I think it helps to capture the range of movement and energy of the freestyle which is hard to do with a single still.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: collage challenge - 11/11/08 05:45 PM

Here's a collage we turned into an ad for a Weimaraner Breed magazine. I took all the shots -- some in the studio and some outside -- and we integrated the other objects to give it some mood.

Here's Eliza.

Jim

Re: collage challenge - 11/11/08 05:47 PM

Hey Jim,
when I saw the proofs, I wondered if you were going to create an image like this.

Very nice.

Jim

Re: collage challenge - 11/11/08 10:16 PM

That's really beautiful. I wish I could do that sort of design work.
Posted By: Julie

Re: collage challenge - 11/11/08 10:18 PM

That's beautiful Jim!!

Re: collage challenge - 11/11/08 11:24 PM

Very nice presentation Jim. I really like your depth that is created with this ad.
It doesn't hurt that you are working with a beautiful bitch. Sure makes the job fun!

Re: collage challenge - 11/12/08 12:37 AM

PeggySue,
Eliza is very pretty standing still and breath-taking going around. And she's a very stable, relatively calm Weim which is unusual. I really like her both as a show girl and as a dog.

Jim
Posted By: PossumCorner

Re: collage challenge - 11/15/08 06:29 AM

One from a driving competition last month.

Re: collage challenge - 11/15/08 02:51 PM

I adore your images. It looks like a great day and a fun event. Do you mind if I play around with your images?

Re: collage challenge - 11/16/08 12:08 PM

Quote:

... Do you mind if I play around with your images?

Sure peggysue, please have a go at it if you have the time. It was wanted 'yesterday' to show family - it started as six proofs on a page but I didn't like them set out with so much white space. (This event was the driver's first competition with that pony).

Re: collage challenge - 11/17/08 04:06 AM

Here is another version of your images. I probably would not flip images since it changes the driver but I like the way this one leads the eye back into the collage. If I had the whole images I might make some different choices but this gives you a bit of a different perspective.

Re: collage challenge - 11/17/08 06:11 AM

Quote:

Here is another version of your images. I probably would not flip images since it changes the driver but I like the way this one leads the eye back into the collage. ...

That is lovely peggysue - more compact and more pleasing, is that the "less is more" rule? And I like the balance so there is a less in-your-face spot for the text they wanted. Interesting your comment on flipping: (that first one had already been flipped so you have corrected it) and I hadn't thought how glaringly obvious it is to have the driver sitting on the pony's off-side in one shot and near-side in the other, so will watch that.

I'll probably get a couple of orders for the same style from yesterday's event once drivers have seen the shots. So this thread is good for some visual balance guidance. I never know what to charge for a collage, the final of this one was printed 18x24" and looked good framed.

The only down-side to being back shooting harness horses is that I'd love to try it myself: and the pony I have is so unsuitable for harness, he's a totally unpredictable little fellow.

Re: collage challenge - 11/17/08 09:53 PM

" - more compact and more pleasing, is that the "less is more" rule?"

I only took out one image that I thought was somewhat redundant. Besides the rule of odd numbers is probably the route I took. It is an automatic for me to pick 3 - 5- etc. when doing a design. It can work with other numbers but .... the rule! There certainly are rules but once we learn them we can break them. (Or get really lucky!)

I try to keep the viewers eye in the framework of the collage. By leading the eye with the turn of a head or a lean of an animal, brings the view back to the next image. I also watch to see that there are not any contact spots that will irritate me later. Example is the hoof on top of the persons head.

The most difficult part of pricing collages for me is some just fall together easily while others take much more time. Averaging can be difficult. Also then you are selling one image with many images. People have to understand they are not just buying one image with all the work for free!
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum