The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

This one's for psmith

Posted By: Jim Poor

This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 12:55 AM

From today's fund raiser.

I'll need to fix the lights of the store in his eyes and the gap in his hair from the collar, but I wanted to post a quickie.

I'm not very experienced with the cat side of the house, so all C&C are definitely welcome. Actively solicited even.
Posted By: psmith

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 03:31 AM

Love it!
Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 05:16 AM

That has the potential to be a dynamite portrait. How about burning the edges when you're done with the other fixes. The increased contrast would make for a stronger image. On the other hand, if 'soft' is the goal, your treatment is ideal. The eyes are terrific.
Posted By: BIRDPOND

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 04:52 PM

Wow.

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 04:56 PM

Do you mean the edges of the cat (never really thought of that, might be interesting) or the edges of the frame? I'm actually considering dodging the frame edges at the moment.

Quote:

That has the potential to be a dynamite portrait. How about burning the edges when you're done with the other fixes. The increased contrast would make for a stronger image. On the other hand, if 'soft' is the goal, your treatment is ideal. The eyes are terrific.

Posted By: Julie

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 05:20 PM

It is a beautiful portrait. I don't think I would burn the edges of this one though. If it were a darker color, then I probably would. Not the creamy color it is though
Posted By: Tony Bynum

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/25/09 05:36 PM

i like it, fix the eyes and it's a done! to many distracting catch lights. I do like the pose and the exposure. . . well done. . .
Posted By: Buddy Thomason

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/26/09 05:43 AM

Here is a comparison of the original and one possible edit outcome. Also, notice the left eye (our right) in both views. The fragmented catch lights don't bother me as much as the general appearance of the left eye in the original. I don't presume to know what the final image 'should' look like in terms of your artistic vision, Jim - nor do I have a good sense about what sells in the pet portrait world. So, my edit is strictly in the service of friendly discussion. When I mentioned burning the edges above I had in mind something like this - somewhat subtle but leaving the area around the cat a bit brighter as in a classic portrait presentation. The overall darkening of the image is, IMHO, a little easier on the eye. I bumped up the saturation of the blue in the eyes too. Regardless of what you do with it Jim, it's a lovely capture.

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/26/09 11:29 AM

Thanks Buddy. I like it. I had boosted the blues in the original at first, but didn't take the time to make it look natural, so I killed that layer. I'll definitely be working on that some more before the final version.

I think the overall darker look adds to the pastel feeling of the image too.

Thanks again,
Jim
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/27/09 01:24 PM

Hey Jim,

Is this guy a snowshoe? Anyway, great photo. I prefer the first one to the second shot. I like the way the cat begins to blend into the white. I do agree with fixing the eyes if necessary.

James

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/27/09 01:36 PM

Thanks James,

For the proofs, I went about halfway between the lighter and darker versions.

I thought snowshoe was a type of crab

He's a Siberian something-or-other that the owners got because he is hypo-allergenic and the husband has cat allergies.
Posted By: Reel Girl

Re: This one's for psmith - 01/30/09 05:19 AM

I love that you chose a white background. Very elegant.
Great classic looking cat portrait - I think it is beautiful.

P.S. I am a new member and this is my first post - - I just really loved this pic!
Posted By: AdoptAPet

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/23/09 09:42 PM

WOW! Jim that's GORGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOUS!

Barbra
Posted By: GLM

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/24/09 07:16 PM

Since Buddy opened the door, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and show my version of Jim's wonderful image.

I hope you don't mind me playing a bit to create this digital "painting".

- Gary

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/24/09 07:31 PM

Very interesting Gary.

Mind sharing your steps?

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/24/09 09:19 PM

This one was just a quickie, Jim.

Standard tools are a Wacom tablet, Painter, and a bit of patience.

If you think your clients might be interested in something like this, I'd be happy to work with you.

- Gary

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/24/09 09:51 PM

One out of three ain't bad I've got the Wacom tablet

Some of them might be, but I think most want an actual oil painting if they go that way.

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/24/09 09:58 PM

Oils can cost thousands and take months. Sell them a Giclee on watercolor paper or canvas.

- g~

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/25/09 12:28 AM

I know people who triple their cost and sell digital paintings. You have to be talented at it, but if you are, it is a huge $$ maker.

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/25/09 02:04 AM

Hi Julie. What do these folks tend to specialize in?

- Gary

Re: This one's for psmith - 02/25/09 02:21 AM

Portraits, I met Marilyn Sholin and she was awesome http://www.msholinprosales.com/ At some point, I'll probably take a class.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum