The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics)

Posted By: roley

Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/11/09 08:52 AM

I ventured out to a gymkhana on Saturday and a Breed Show on Sunday, and was quite pleased with the end results:)

Ok that's way too many, but I like them all:) Oh the grey with the bluish cast has been edited, it was a normal colour straight out of the camera.
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/11/09 10:55 AM

Some very nice shots Michelle. I really like the composition of #6.
Posted By: julief

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/11/09 02:48 PM

Beautiful shots, Michelle. I, too like the comp of #6, but I am really taken by #8. There is just something about the whole pic that speaks to me. Just beautiful. #9 and #7 (with some cloning work done on it) would be absolutely perfect for breed ads. I also like #2 just because I love draft horses, but he's a little too blocked up with shadows for my taste. Good job. Where was this show?

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/11/09 11:17 PM

Thanks Bob and Julie:)

I must admit that I do prefer to non-ad type compositions, especially ones that show the emotional relationship between people and their animals.

I have fiddled with adjusting the levels in selected areas of the shadows on the clydie pic which made a big difference, will have to post the edit later.

Shot #5 and #6 were taken at a twilight gymkhana, the others at the Gosnells Summer Showoffs Breed Show (LOL so shooting in harsh mid summer Western Australian sun).
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/12/09 01:18 PM

Michelle,
these are all very nice images both technically and creatively. How do you like your new camera/lenses?

I'm not sure if you've edited the Clydesdale, but it looks fine to me right now. In fact, looks just like Sundance , my Rottie boy. I can see them pulling the Budweiser wagon together !

Did you shoot RAW or jpeg?

Jim

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/13/09 12:55 AM

Thanks Jim! I LOVE my new camera and lenses:) I'm shooting RAW1 which is the second smallest raw file (normal raw is just too big and I don't get enough shots to cover an event (even with 16G of cards, LOL even with RAW1 I have just had to buy 2 more 4gb cards and I have a fairly high keeper rate).

I did edit that shot of the clydie, but after I recalibarted my monitor with Spyder 3, I went back and did selective levels on the real shadow areas, which looks better except now I think I have some purple CA on the neck behind his cheekbone and on the halter leather in that area...but I might be being over picky.

This is the edited-edit
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/14/09 01:03 AM

Michelle,
yes, I see the purple fringing. It would bother me, too.

I understand what you mean about eating up CF cards -- I've just started shooting the 40D and I shot an indoor show today at ISO 1,600 and ran out of space on a 4 GB card right in the middle of BOB. I was shooting full RAW but, still, the 40D is only 2 mpx more than the 30D and I never ran out of CF space shooting candids of only one Breed when shooting the 30D. Guess I'm going to need to invest in some 8 GB cards!

Continued good luck with the equipment and keep the images coming.

Jim
Posted By: Julie

Re: Horse Show with the 50d (lots of pics) - 02/14/09 02:16 AM

Those are really nice!! I do like the first clydesdale photo better than the adjusted one.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum