The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Happy March

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Happy March - 03/02/09 04:39 PM

Sundance wants to wish everyone on the forum a very happy March -- despite the snow in the Northeast!!

Don't worry, Spring is coming. And Sundance wants you to know that the thing he does best is dribble .

Enjoy,

Jim
Posted By: psmith

Re: Happy March - 03/02/09 09:46 PM

Very nice, Jim. Can't wait to see what you have for April.

Sort of cruel putting him in a Gator jersey though.
Posted By: wallyspop

Re: Happy March - 03/02/09 09:51 PM

Quote:

Sort of cruel putting him in a Gator jersey though.

I agree but sure beats a Jayhawk jersey.

Jim, I think Sundance would look great in Syracuse Orange! Would probably feel better as well.

Re: Happy March - 03/02/09 09:55 PM

Oh and before either of you decides to shoot back, go back and double check the outcome of the early season CBE Classic.........

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 01:11 AM

OK, guys, Sundance is actually neutral when it comes to college loyalty BUT, he does live in Florida which meant we had to decide among the Florida Gators, Florida State Seminoles and Miami Hurricanes. We happened to have the Gator jersey. The choice was easy.

Personally, we could have picked my school (Holy Cross) or Linda's (UConn). The decision was market-based . Sundance is still looking for that Gator .

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 01:13 AM

Quote:

Can't wait to see what you have for April.

Preston,
keep in mind that April brings us Easter. Hint. Hint.

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 03:45 AM

Quote:

The decision was market-based .

Jim

Smart move.

Actually I'm a Kansas import originally from NC. I was born and raised a Duke fan. It would be fun to see a Duke / Conn game at the end of the month.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 02:26 PM

The orange is good, the F is bad That should be a white Tshirt with a T

Very cute though. He has to be a good dribbler

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 02:49 PM

Julie, I could support the idea of the orange and the "T" if you guys had not been swept by Kentucky this year.

Then you guys have to throw in Duke and UConn. gross!

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 02:55 PM

Hey Jim, Holy Cross? Did you play hockey and that's the cause of your knee problems? I played for 9 years.
Posted By: Peggy Sue

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 03:08 PM

And a very happy March to you at the Garvie household. Fun to see your calendar unfold.

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 05:25 PM

Hockey? That "game" of beating up your opponent while trying to stand up on thin blades while on ice? Please.

No, I actually blew out my knees trying to play basketball and thinking that because I was 69 inches tall, I was actually 6 foot 9. Math wasn't my strong suit .

However, during my stay at HC, Syracuse was still a major football power and I got to watch some really outstanding athletes wearing that disgusting Orange color .

As for basketball supremacy, I'd suggest you all look at the AP Top 25 in both NCAA men's and women's Bball. It's UConn all the way. At least until the tournament .

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 05:38 PM

haha, you crack me up Jim.

I'm hoping we have another crack at UConn in the BE tourney next week!

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 08:53 PM

Bob,
you'll love this: I've often kidded people that my portrait work with dogs would ultimately lead me to the job of my dreams -- Playboy photographer . Well, today we received a call from a young woman who wants us to produce a "classic pinup" calendar of her for her husband, boudoir style.

Linda fielded the call and discussed what she was looking for and booked the session. It seems she saw the Sundance 2009 Calendar and it inspired her to create a sexy calendar for her husband.

Now, this is definitely non-nude and to be photographed "Playboy style" which means lots of retouching and very sexy set design and lighting but it appears that my dreams are coming true. All due to pet photography. Go figure!

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 11:02 PM

Funny!!! Here is someone who does heavily manipulated pinups. I love it http://www.portlandpinups.com/

I couldn't do it though!!! He says he uses a flat light and a whole lot of manipulation in post

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 11:08 PM

Julie,
That's the lighting approach I've used in the past and it works very well. You can apply directional lighting effects in PS and do a lot of skin smoothing with flat lighting.

It actually should be fun. She's bringing her best friend; Linda and Rose Ann will help with costumes, hair and make-up and all I have to do is look professional and not drool. I'm pretty sure I can handle that . And, yes, I'll share some of the results if James allows it .

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/03/09 11:22 PM

Now Jim, isn't that strange. Maybe she heard you were a "pet" photographer and assumed this was right up your alley. Oh wait, pets are with Penthouse right?

Now I do need to say, Terrie needs to meet Linda. If someone called for me to do a job like this, Terrie would say, Bob can shoot your Dog otherwise I can refer you to someone else... haha.

Anyway, again, you sure you don't need an assistant? Also, where do you plan to post some samples? I haven't seen any posts on this site that were NSFW.

In all seriousness, good luck. Should be fun. By the way, when I shoot models Terrie works all the posing and I shoot and edit. Woman have a better eye for what is sexy without getting trashy. A combo shot to include Sundance could be cool as well. A big strong dog as a sidekick laying on the floor nearby or her in a bikini and heels walking him. Just a thought.

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 12:35 AM

Quote:

Bob,
you'll love this: I've often kidded people that my portrait work with dogs would ultimately lead me to the job of my dreams -- Playboy photographer . Well, today we received a call from a young woman who wants us to produce a "classic pinup" calendar of her for her husband, boudoir style.

Linda fielded the call and discussed what she was looking for and booked the session. It seems she saw the Sundance 2009 Calendar and it inspired her to create a sexy calendar for her husband.

Now, this is definitely non-nude and to be photographed "Playboy style" which means lots of retouching and very sexy set design and lighting but it appears that my dreams are coming true. All due to pet photography. Go figure!

Jim

Pull out your 1969 era avocado green fridge and shoot on Canary seamless

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 01:03 AM

Preston,
yup, that's the era, for sure. There are some great pinup looks on the site that Julie linked which we'll share with her. The makeup and hair will be strictly 60's. Rose Ann can do that very easily.

It's actually a fun idea especially to present it in a calendar format for her husband's work area in the garage. I'm looking forward to meeting this lady. She has a nice sense of humor.

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 01:09 AM

Quote:

By the way, when I shoot models Terrie works all the posing and I shoot and edit.

Same with Linda and Rose Ann. I let them put together the scenarios and then I light them and make sure the poses are working from the camera position. Then I do the editing and Linda does the PS effects. We really work well together and always have a good time with lots of laughs so folks just naturally relax when they come into the studio and that's 90% of the battle with non-professional models.

The key is to be sexy but not slutty and classy in a classic pinup look. Props and costumes will be key. And I'm sure either Sundance or Rowdy will find their way into the shoot. They always seem to .

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 10:54 AM

For this type of shoot I would also look for some shots using some very soft window light (north facing window), with maybe some sheers and her peering out. Maybe a little cliche but perfect for this. Also I have found using a gold reflector this time of year can add a ton of warmth, very nice for the mood.

Anyway, have a ball. When is it scheduled? I look forward to some samples.

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 10:58 AM

ah, I slipped right past the "pinup" style. The window shot doesn't fit. Maybe a mock shot of Sundance pulling at the back of her Bikini though? :-)

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 12:54 PM

I wouldn't use window light for pinups, It isn't flat enough or 40's enough. Here are some of my grandmother. At her wake, I took these snaps of her photos. I thought they were really cool

This was the cover of the Chicago Bell phonebook

Or it may have been this one

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 01:18 PM

If you want some great examples of classic retro pinups from the 40's, google Alberto Vargas. Be ready to be inspired from the father of pinups!

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 01:59 PM

Bob,
yes, the Vargas look is ideal. We'll show her some samples and see what she's comfortable with. Also, for the bikini bottom pull, I think we'll opt for the Golden, Crash. Sundance would have her bottomless in a nano-second . Big mouth!!!

Julie,
those are wonderful images of your grandmother and you're fortunate to have them. She was a stunning woman.

You're right, the initial lighting needs to be flat so we can move her into any scene we create in PS. Also, we're planning to shoot her on black so her body and clothes will float in the initial images. Again, makes it easier to cut her out and place her anywhere.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. The shoot is scheduled for March 13. I'm shooting a wedding this Saturday, have a Pet Fair on Sunday so I just might have both of those processed by the time she comes in. Plan your critique reviews for the weekend of March 14, 15.

Jim

Re: Happy March - 03/04/09 03:28 PM

Jim, have Linda brush up on the large backdrop pastel circles. They are a very classic look as well.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum