The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Fabulous Flying Fuzzball

Posted By: Jim Poor

Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/06/09 09:22 PM

Here's a shot from an event I almost covered (more on that in shop talk) today.

Posted By: GLM

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 01:18 PM

Hi Jim. Just out of curiosity, is this your normal vantage point at an agility trial?

- Gary

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 01:28 PM

Hi Gary,

No, usually I roam around and find a better spot for each course. This wasn't "my trial" though, so I made do with what I had for the moment.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 01:51 PM

Its a very cool shot, I would crop it closer taking out most of the empty space and distractions

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 04:46 PM

Thanks.

I'm actually tempted to remove the jump from the foreground completely. I did a very quick, sloppy job of removing people from the background on it already.

Here's one I did for a friend with the jump removed and the people left in.

I should probably crop it to just left of the handler and just below the jump, but at ISO 3200 I don't trust that tight of a crop.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 07:45 PM

Why are you shooting with a 70mm lens? I would have used my 80-200 at about 200mm. I also would have set the aperture at f/2.8 to limit depth of field.

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 08:05 PM

Mostly because I was just taking grab shots at this point and concentrating on the close obstacles.

Had I stayed to cover the event, I probably would have used the 85 f1.4 (which isn't much longer than this one) as my close lens and the 70-200 f2.8 for the shots farther away.

That said, I probably would have had to shoot iso 6400 with it just to get 1/250 and to get up to 1/500 for some of the faster dogs would have been even higher.

It was a pretty big course which covered an entire indoor soccer field. If I were the OP, I would have been closer to the middle, but as it was I was in the very corner.

I'm really regretting not getting the 200 f2 back when I could have afforded it.

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 08:07 PM

Here's the same dog half a second later
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Fabulous Flying Fuzzball - 03/11/09 08:08 PM

If you set your camera at Aperture priority @ f/2.8, then your shutter speed would have been 1/1000 at your iso 3200.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum