The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

Cancer survivor

Posted By: Jim Poor

Cancer survivor - 03/24/09 03:13 PM

The people & pets we meet at these fundraisers never cease to amaze us.

This is Bosha who is cancer free now for a bit over 3.5 years after his amputation. That's pretty rare from what I understand since usually the cancer is found in the bone and by then it has also usually spread. Average is less than a year survival after amputation.

It was also interesting to learn that the cancer is usually in the front inside (in terms of the track) leg. There is research being don on whether or not the stresses of the way the dogs run is a contributing factor.

Boshas mom asked if she could be in some of the photos and this is how she chose to pose with him. There is a lot more to this story, including the source of strength the dogs have been for her since her husband had a stroke, and how he lights up when they come to visit him although he can't speak their names.

We spent a long time just talking and petting and crying.

Bosha was pretty nervous at the event so we took things real slow and easy. I laid there on the backdrop with him while his mom took care of paperwork and contact info for the shoot, and he warmed up nicely. I never did get a completely "ears up" pose from him, but I find that with greyhound they either will or won't and if they won't then they just won't do it.

C&C is always welcome.
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/24/09 03:50 PM

Jim,
lovely portrait and lovely story. Osteocarcoma is a nasty reality in the world of pure-bred dogs. It is, unfortunately, fairly prevalent in Rottweilers and because Annie's dad died of it, we keep a close eye on all her kids, grandkids and great grandkids.

Bosha's 3.5 year survival following amputation is quite remarkable and probably due to early diagnosis and the decision to amputate before the cancer had metastasized into other organs. What always amazes me is how well dogs adjust to an amputation. I guess there's something to be said about not feeling sorry for yourself.

Nice work, Jim. These are the types of moments that make our work worthwhile. If not financially, certainly emotionally.

Jim

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/24/09 04:02 PM

Thanks Jim.

The event was to benefit The Ohio State University Greyhound Health and Wellness Program: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/1872.htm

I don't know all of the details, but from what I understand, all anyone has to do is get their greyhound to the center and the treatment is completely free.
Posted By: DavidRamey

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/24/09 05:51 PM

The vet school at Ohio State is remarkable. I had a guinea pig that got a lump on its back and took it there. They charged me $10.00 and treated the guinea pig. The lump was cancer and they did all the treatments for no charge and the guinea pig lived to be very old.
Posted By: psmith

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/24/09 06:38 PM

Well done, touching portrait Jim.
Posted By: Julie

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/25/09 01:38 AM

Very sweet portrait. I prefer the tight crop, but, the looser one tells more of the story

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/25/09 01:49 AM

Thanks folks.

On a separate but related note, I don't think I'm liking the brown backdrop all that much.

I'm thinking about washing it to tone down the brown and then dying it with a rich golden color.
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/25/09 12:58 PM

Hey Jim,

Nice work, as always. I also prefer the tighter crop.

James
Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/25/09 01:10 PM

Jim,
on a dog without a brindle coat, it would work better but I agree something a little softer/more muted would work better for a wider variety of subjects. How about a darker brown?

Jim

Re: Cancer survivor - 03/25/09 03:24 PM

Maybe darker brown. I'm also thinking I would like less contrast in the light / dark areas. Mottled yes, splotchy no.

Lots of brindle coats at the event that day too and I didn't really like it for them either. It worked best with group of four JRTs that were there as "honorary shrunken greyhounds" and a pair of Italian Greyhounds.

I'm thinking about something like this:

http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=3547

I think I can get close with a wash & dye of the one I have though.
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum