The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum - Fine Art Landscape Photography

New to the forum

Posted By: Marie Mitchell Photography

New to the forum - 07/11/09 07:49 PM

Hi everyone,
I've been reading for a week now, so thought it was time to jump in.
I'm a new photographer, been trying to make a go of pet photography for over 4 years now. My focus is on cats and small dogs. I'd love to tackle a cat show, but don't think I am ready just yet. I've only gotten serious about it though, in the last year-taking classes through NYIP and in the fall, courses at my local Community College.
I've been babysitting a Dachshund pup and wanted to share some pics from this morning.

Thanks,
Marie
Posted By: James Morrissey

Re: New to the forum - 07/11/09 08:20 PM

Hi Marie,

Welcome to the community. May I ask how you found out about us? Nice photos - hope to see more...and hopefully a bit larger. :P Just a FYI, I typically post photos at between 650 and 750 pixels at the widest end. Just big enough to view nicely, but not so big that they are used for other purposes.

James

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 10:15 AM

Thanks! I have made them larger. A few things I forgot in my original post is, I've had the opportunity for some great mentoring by Larry Johnson, a professional photographer and cat show photographer. He has been extremely helpful and always willing to answer my questions, no matter how silly. I have also spoken with Helmi via email and she was so wonderful in answering some questions. In fact, her site is how I found this one!
I've also joined Maryland PPA and look forward to learning all I can from them.

Posted By: Jim Garvie

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 12:29 PM

Hi Marie and Welcome!

Ironically given your comment about my Rotties, mini-Dachshunds aren't exactly my cup of tea yet I've met some wonderful representatives of literally every breed. There are some breeds I wouldn't own but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy meeting the good ones.

I find your exposure of these guys a bit dark. I love the saturated background color however. Did you try to open up the shadows a bit in PhotoShop? Since the color is similar to Rotties, that's what I usually have to do to bring them up a bit. Also, with black dogs, I find flatter lighting works better than directional. That's just my experience. Others may have a different opinion.

For cats, watch for Preston's posts. He's very good and he knows the cat show business so he's a good person to give you advice in that area as well.

Please share more.

Jim
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 02:47 PM

Good Morning Marie!

I love your baby at a larger size! I still like that background color. Good choice.

Pj

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 02:58 PM

Thanks, Jim! We all have our druthers, or we would all be Ragdoll lovers, lol. Thats my favorite breed, and if I could have another pet, it would be a Flame Bicolor neuter. But you are right, I can appreciate nice examples of every breed.

Oh, I still have so much to learn, like "open up the shadows". I have CS4, but not sure what I would do to open up shadows.

Here is some additional images: http://www.pbase.com/thejubileepaw

Thanks!
Marie

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 03:00 PM

Thanks, Pj!
I'm going to get a few more, maybe with some props, and get them printed out for his family if they like the images. It could be my first "paid for" session.

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 03:28 PM

Marie,
your work is very nice. In CS4, under Image/Adjustments there is a tab for Shadows/Highlights. If you go in there, you can lighten the shadows a bit and, unless you've completely blown out the highlights, you can recover some of the highlight detail.

With dark subjects like the Doxies it's a good idea to get familiar with that adjustment. The key is to get back some of the detail without losing the fact that they're black and not grey. So use the adjustment judiciously.

Jim
Posted By: Sunstruck

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 03:57 PM

One question, where did you get your table?
Posted By: dunaif

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 03:58 PM

Hi, Marie - Very nice photos, and a very cute pup. I agree with previous comments about opening up the shadows a little bit, but I love the expressions & poses.

What are you using as background material? Thanks.

--Donna

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 05:22 PM

Well, I got the bottom table from Walmart, it is the one with the hard top.Then I put a small foot stool on top of that, its the same little stool I used before to get a pic of Daisy-not sure if you remember that one.

Marie

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 05:24 PM

Thanks! Now I understand, thanks for letting me know where to find it. I'll have to give it a try.

Marie

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 05:33 PM

Jim,
I think you are my new best friend!
What do you think about this one?

Thanks,
Marie

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 05:41 PM

Hi Donna,
I'm using a poly-canvas material. Cat breeders are very particular about putting thier cats down where other cats have been, so this material serves 2 purposes, easy to clean, and is waterproof-plus its inexpensive. Its a bit difficult to work with when compared to cloth, but it does hold down very well with the clamps I have.
I have been through so many backgrounds basically by trial and error (just ask Pj, she has been with me and cheering me on every step of the way, lol!). So far, I am most happy with this stuff.
Its also a pain to store, oh well.

Thanks,
Marie

Quote:

What are you using as background material? Thanks.

--Donna

Re: New to the forum - 07/12/09 06:39 PM

Yup, that's it! As I said, it takes some getting used to so the dogs don't look washed out but it really makes the highlights on dark dogs' coats pop. And, unlike general lightening, it doesn't wash out the brighter areas.

Good job!

Jim
Posted By: TeresaBerg

Re: New to the forum - 07/19/09 03:20 PM

Hi Marie
I'm new around here and I photograph a lot of dachshunds - this one is just adorable. And thanks, I never thought about using a bright yellow background, I've been wanting to try some brighter colors. I might just give it a try!
Posted By: psmith

Re: New to the forum - 07/19/09 07:12 PM

The first sets seem dark to me. The last image is very nice, the post processing really helped. Welcome to the forum.
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: New to the forum - 09/02/09 05:24 AM

Quote:

I'm using a poly-canvas material. Cat breeders are very particular about putting thier cats down where other cats have been, so this material serves 2 purposes, easy to clean, and is waterproof-plus its inexpensive. Its a bit difficult to work with when compared to cloth, but it does hold down very well with the clamps I have.

Hi Marie, I know this post is pretty old but just came across it. I'm interested to hear about the poly-canvas material. Where do you get it? It sounds like kind of an outdoor material, are the colors mainly bright basic colors?

Preston, do you ever get folks asking about disinfecting your shooting table? I have shown cats quite a bit and actually always wondered about that but never was worried enough about it to ask.

Diana
Posted By: StarrLight

Re: New to the forum - 09/02/09 05:26 AM

And ps... I'm a big dachshund fan, the photos are very cute and the processing on the last one really helped bring out the non-black colors.

Diana
© 2024 The Nature, Wildlife and Pet Photography Forum